+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

He is going to be interesting to watch. Now if we could just become loaded at C and say 3B?

NYYF Legend

Good stuff Robert.

In my opinion this is the batch where the names get really interesting and there are guys that can develop in to big time prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    Good stuff Robert.

In my opinion this is the batch where the names get really interesting and there are guys that can develop in to big time prospects.
    Thanks man,

Just to let you guys know I am planning a trip down to Tampa for a week for Minor League Spring Training in mid-March. While I am down there I will be training some new writers who will be covering the GCL Yankees and the rest of MiLB ST.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

I think Otto's gonna really elevate his status this year. Stephan, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzah! View Post
    I think Otto's gonna really elevate his status this year. Stephan, too.
    Same, I like them both. Otto is a good kid and became one of my favorites on last year's SI team.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

NYYF Legend

BA Yankee Podcast:
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...c5JDkQ7yJxs.97

Anyone listen?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Interesting listen.

- Kyle Glaser, one of the podcasters, compared Torres to Corey Seager. Both are smart hitters who know how to set up counts and work pitchers. That's why they're able to adjust quickly at every level despite being young.

- Florial is vulnerable to breaking balls and has propensity to hit grounders. Which we knew. But the tools are there for improvement. They brought up his Haitian background as reason to be patient. Still learning the game.

- Norris sees Sheffield as a 2/3 starter.

- Adams has tendency to nibble. They were vague whether his future was relief or rotation.

- Also lukewarm on Tate. Glaser talked to a scout or a coach when Tate was dominating at Santa Barbara. Even then, the scout/coach saw red flags. Tate's delivery was an issue.

- Norris is bullish on Luis Medina despite the high BB rate. Only 18 and thinks he'll start at Charleston. Mentioned he could tell how much the org likes a player with the fast track promotions in this system.

NYYF Legend

Huge takeaway for me was them talking about the Yankees winning trades at such a high rate because of them being amongst the best at evaluating their own players when deciding who to move. Specific example given was Norris (I think) saying that last year he saw a Yankees official at a low-A game evaluating a starter (didn't name the guy), and he was grading not just the general state of each of the pitcher's offerings on a 20-80 scale, but each individual pitch.

He said he had never seen that before (in a kind of shocked tone), and that it speaks to the depth of analysis they do on their own guys, which in turn allows them to make the trades they do.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Also, Juan Then was an absolute steal according to multiple people Glasser spoke to. He said that he's 17 turning 18, gets into the mid 90's, and shows two breaking balls that profile as potentially plus. If he was American he'd be talked about right now as a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft.

NYYF Legend

I was watching this video yesterday on A.J. Puk...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF78XZniyhY&t=336s

What I found really interesting was not only was he tracking each pitches MPH, confirming pitch type with the catcher. If you listen closely, someone was actually tracking spin rate as well. You can hear him specifically and loudly ask for that @ 4:37.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Matt Kardos reports Daniel Camarena signs a minor league deal with the Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I was watching this video yesterday on A.J. Puk...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF78XZniyhY&t=336s

What I found really interesting was not only was he tracking each pitches MPH, confirming pitch type with the catcher. If you listen closely, someone was actually tracking spin rate as well. You can hear him specifically and loudly ask for that @ 4:37.
    Most complexes now have trackman sensors installed that track all that. I know in the higher affiliates all the data is sent to the press box and then relayed to the video room live in-game and paired with the video. We always confirm readings with the trackman data during every game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Most complexes now have trackman sensors installed that track all that. I know in the higher affiliates all the data is sent to the press box and then relayed to the video room live in-game and paired with the video. We always confirm readings with the trackman data during every game.
    Do you have the mL trackman data anywhere on your site? That would be awesome.
    Calmer than you are

Justus Sheffield comes in at #3 on MLB.com's Top 10 left-handed pitchers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-top-10...?tid=151437456

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Justus Sheffield comes in at #3 on MLB.com's Top 10 left-handed pitchers.

This is awesome - ahead of all three Braves lefties. He's getting a lot of merited respect, in my opinion.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-top-10...?tid=151437456
    https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-jus...?tid=151437456

The Yankees believe that Justus Sheffield will be part of the next wave of "Baby Bombers" to force their way to the Bronx. That viewpoint is shared by many, which is part of the reason why the 21-year-old has been consistently ranked among the game's top pitching prospects.

MLB Pipeline has rated Sheffield as the No. 3 left-hander in all of baseball, behind only the Padres' MacKenzie Gore and the Athletics' A.J. Puk, as announced on Wednesday. Sheffield recently told MLB.com that he was "very pleased" with his 2017 campaign, and he is aiming for more success in 2018.

"I saw a lot of positives. It seems like the Yankees saw a lot of positives out of me this year also," Sheffield said. "I definitely had a great time going out to the [Arizona] Fall League. That was big for me, just getting to go back out there and get my innings back under me, facing those higher-type guys and actually get out there and compete."

Sheffield, who was acquired from the Indians as part of the July 2016 Andrew Miller trade, was 7-6 with a 3.18 ERA in 17 starts for Double-A Trenton. In 93 1/3 innings, Sheffield permitted 94 hits, striking out 82 against 33 walks.

Though he missed time with an oblique injury, Sheffield recovered in time to go 2-2 with a 3.10 ERA with the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League. That success has Sheffield excited for what he can do in 2018, a season that could feature his first promotion to the Majors.

"I think I was just hungry to get back on the field, missing those two months," Sheffield said. "I thought I was going to get a few innings in before the playoffs; it ended up not working out that way. I think going to the Fall League [helped], just being hungry and getting to go out on the field and compete again, against those top guys. It's time to play ball."

Behind Gore, Puk and Sheffield, the rest of MLB Pipeline's top 10 left-handed pitchers are as follows: Luiz Gohara (Braves), Brendan McKay (Rays), Adrian Morejon (Padres), Kolby Allard (Braves), Jesus Luzardo (Athletics), Stephen Gonsalves (Twins) and Max Fried (Braves).

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Do you have the mL trackman data anywhere on your site? That would be awesome.
    We do not, we cannot license it since it is proprietary to the teams. We try to grab as much as we can in game.

NYYF Legend

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/prospects-chat-1-17/

Q: So is there something going on in the Yankee system? They've been able to take fringey guys like Chance Adams and J. Montgomery (among others) and turn them into legit prospects. Have you heard anything different about their process, or has it just been recent luck?

Kiley McDaniel: Don't want to put what I know about the NYY process on blast, but they are looking at a lot of the more sophisticated measures from trackman to biomechanical to medical, etc. Lots of teams do that too but I think they get a rare level of buy-in across the board from their staff. Credit to Cash and Damon.

Eric A Longenhagen: I agree and would note they've altered arm slots and improved arm actions of guys like Montgomery.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Q: So is there something going on in the Yankee system? They've been able to take fringey guys like Chance Adams and J. Montgomery (among others) and turn them into legit prospects. Have you heard anything different about their process, or has it just been recent luck?

Kiley McDaniel: Don't want to put what I know about the NYY process on blast, but they are looking at a lot of the more sophisticated measures from trackman to biomechanical to medical, etc. Lots of teams do that too but I think they get a rare level of buy-in across the board from their staff. Credit to Cash and Damon.

Eric A Longenhagen: I agree and would note they've altered arm slots and improved arm actions of guys like Montgomery.
    Yeah, that is just tip of the iceberg of all they do. It is really incredible the system they built in the minors. A lot of it started in 2009-2010 time frame.

NYYF Legend

Frank: Is Albert Abreu a legit top prospect or just Yankee hype?

Eric A Longenhagen: I'm in, thought he was one of top three arms in AFL. Up to 99, chance for plus breaking ball and plus changeup. Might be 'pen arm but if he is he's lights out. If the command comes he's a 60.

Craig: Miguel Andujar seems to have one of the more violent swings in the minors, yet his contact rate is very high. Is this something you think will translate well to the bigs?

Kiley McDaniel: Lots of Andujar questions in the queue. I'm a believer and the tools are really good, have developed further since he stood out for his raw tools as a teenager. Tools to be above average on D but some arm accuracy issues and some mental lapses. Real bat speed and bat control and above contact rate as you say. Rare ability. In the Pirates article I said he is worth, to me, about as much as that Musgrove package.

Eric A Longenhagen: I'm lukewarm. Has had issues with throwing accuracy in my looks and he pounds the ball into the ground.

Jeff: How worried are you about Estevan Florial? Is the defense good enough even if his bat never fully gets there?

Eric A Longenhagen: Somewhat. Think both the approach and the swing itself are issues. He's 60 raw (at least) with 70 run so if the light turns on it'll be crazy, but it's not on right now.

Slurve: Who is the most exciting Mariner prospect these days?

Eric A Longenhagen: I think Mike Ford is exciting from a 'What the hell is this guy?' perspective and Evan White is exciting because he's a weird profile. Upside/ Tools-wise, Lewis is still exciting, as are Sam Carlson and Julio Rodriguez.

Abreu is the most tantalizing prospect in the system, IMO.

Hey everyone, we have re-activated the Pinstriped Prospects YouTube channel. Over the next few weeks, we will be adding all our videos in from 2017 so be sure to subscribe. We will have a ton of videos in 2018. I will be in Tampa for MiLB Spring Training so the wait won't be long for new videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PinstripedProspects

RIP Dorothy Seymour Mills Texsahara's Avatar

Camden Depot
    @CamdenDepot

#Yankees prospect Estevan Florial is a Haitian citizen and would play under a H2B visa. With the Trump administrations new restrictions on Haitians, he would be unable to play in the United States unless he was in the Majors to get an O-1 visa.
    12:02 PM Jan 18, 2018

I wonder if putting Florial onto the ML 40-man roster would qualify him for an O-1A visa

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Unreal...

Thread Information