+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 102 103 104 105 106 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 2628

Re: 2018 Yankees Minor League News & Notes

Katie Sharp's article about Andujar's rookie season.

*Entering Tuesday

Not only does he hit the same whether its a scoring or non-scoring situation, but also he’s at his best in the biggest spots. He’s hitting an absurd .311/.357/.573 in 115 high-leverage plate appearances this season. The average major-leaguer has a .249/.323/.402 line in those same high-pressure situations. (Also noteworthy is the equally ridiculous high-leverage batting line by Torres: .356/.406/.622.)

A final distinctive trait for Andújar is the fact that he’s unfazed by the count within an at-bat, and has been incredibly productive when falling behind. Here are his stats in at-bats that end in an unfavorable count (0-1, 0-2, 1-2) compared to the league average.

BA

OBP

SLG

wOBA

Andújar

League Avg

*Entering Tuesday

Not shown are the 13 homers and 36 RBIs, both of which lead the majors. Yes, he falls behind in the count (32 percent of pitches seen) slightly more often than the league average (29 percent), but his rate stats are still among best too. Among the nearly 300 players with at least 100 plate appearances ending in unfavorable hitters counts, he ranks third in slugging percentage, fifth in OPS and fifth in wOBA.

https://theathletic.com/548790/2018/...rce=dailyemail

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    For record I'm rooting for Gleyber Torres despite what stats say. I hope he could win it, but not sure he would/ should win it.
    I'm fine with Torres winning it. My problem with Ohtani is strictly being a DH in basically a platoon situation with only ten pitching appearances in which eight of them were in April and May.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I'm fine with Torres winning it. My problem with Ohtani is strictly being a DH in basically a platoon situation with only ten pitching appearances in which eight of them were in April and May.
    Othani is not being used as a platoon at all.

Othani
    246 PA against RHP
    101 PA against LHP
    RHP/LHP ratio 2.42

Andujar
    420 PA against RHP
    166 PA against LHP
    RHP/LHP ratio 2.53

I'm happy if Andujar wins it. I just think Othani case is stronger and would not say Andujar gets robbed if Othani wins it.

Btw are you fine if Joey Wendle wins it? An above average hitter (not as good as Andujar) who is also a good defensive middle infielder and could play the coner OF and 3B if needed.

Othani is not being used as a platoon at all.

Othani
    246 PA against RHP
    101 PA against LHP
    RHP/LHP ratio 2.42

Andujar
    420 PA against RHP
    166 PA against LHP
    RHP/LHP ratio 2.53

Are you fine if Joey Wendle wins it? An above average hitter (not as good as Andujar) who is also a good defensive middle infielder and could play the coner OF and 3B if needed.
    A nice player, but not an impact bat as I've seen Andujar have too many big at-bats.

I think Ohtani is pretty much a lock.

For record I'm rooting for Gleyber Torres despite what stats say. I hope he could win it, but not sure he would/ should win it.
    I dont see that happening. His injury and slump took care of that. Andujar is the best rookie on the team this season. FYI, Torres has almost as many errors at 2nd as Andujar has at 3rd. Both of them are young though, and I expect them to get better defensively as they age.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Not to mention, all the talk about Andujar being a free swinger, and he could be under 100 Ks on the season, half as many as Stanton and Judge (pace). Andujar is the real deal at the dish.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

By the way just Dhing should be a negative towards Ohtani's ROY consideration.
    So should Andjuar's "fielding".
    But don't forget Ohtani also has 50 pretty darn solid innings as a starter.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

A nice player, but not an impact bat as I've seen Andujar have too many big at-bats.
    How many Angel games do you watch? I mean I don't watch too many myself so I don't know if Ohtani has a lot of "big ABs" or not.

I do know on rate adjusted stats Ohtani is well ahead of Andujar. Whether it is raw OPS, OPS+ or RC.

That's not to say Andjuar didn't have a great season and a bright future it's just trying to take the Yankee bias out of the equation.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    How many Angel games do you watch? I mean I don't watch too many myself so I don't know if Ohtani has a lot of "big ABs" or not.

I do know on rate adjusted stats Ohtani is well ahead of Andujar. Whether it is raw OPS, OPS+ or RC.

That's not to say Andjuar didn't have a great season and a bright future it's just trying to take the Yankee bias out of the equation.
    I was talking about Wendle in that post. As to Ohtani, I do know that his at-bats in critical situations are below Andujar's based on Katie Sharp's article.

NYYF Legend

I was talking about Wendle in that post. As to Ohtani, I do know that his at-bats in critical situations are below Andujar's based on Katie Sharp's article.
    Ohtani hit .338/.416/.691 in high leverage situation so far this season.

Ohtani hit .338/.416/.691 in high leverage situation so far this season.
    How many at-bats?

— Chuck Bartlett, the longtime Indians area scout in the Panhandle of Florida, has made the move to the Yankees …
    https://fancredsports.com/articles/i...has-scouts-adv

GM Brian Cashman is trying something different by having two scouts “advance” his own team. The idea is to pick up flaws other teams may see.

That's awesome.

NYYF Legend

How many at-bats?
    .348/.423/.696 now in 78 PA

Andujar hits .308/.353/.589 in 119 PA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Kind of interesting (surprising) that the A’s and Braves have the most free agent signings.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Kind of interesting (surprising) that the A’s and Braves have the most free agent signings.
    True. But in most cases, they were not major dollar FA signings. Especially from the A's.

NYYF Legend

I'm more surprised that 2 teams made the playoffs carrying rule 5 draft picks all year.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm more surprised that 2 teams made the playoffs carrying rule 5 draft picks all year.
    Can you identify these players? I looked at the 2017 Rule 5 draft and the player selected by the Astros (Anthony Gose) and Braves (Anyelo Gomes) were returned to the Rangers and Yankees respectively.

It would appear, then, that these players obtained through the Rule 5 draft in a prior season. For example, if the Padres were in the playoffs and Torrens was on their roster, he was obtained through the Rule 5 draft, although in a prior season.

Also, it is possible to obtain a player in the Rule 5 draft minor league portion and have that player ultimately make the ML roster - again, doesn't have to be on the ML roster all season, but the method of attaining the player was the mechanism of the Rule 5 draft.

EDIT:

Atlanta's player appears to be Daniel Winkler, who was selected from Colorado in the 2014 Rule 5 draft

Houston's player appears to be Marwin Gonzalez, who was selected by Boston from the Cubs in the 2011 Rule 5 draft, then traded by BOS to HOU.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Yankees in Arizona Fall League, first game:

Florial 0-5, R (3 Ks) -- as DH
    Estrada 1-5
    Sensley 0-5, RBI (2 Ks)

Foley 2.1 IP, H, ER, 5K, 2BB (started)
    Wivinis 1 IP, 2 H, ER, 2K, 3 BB (took the loss)

Underwhelming game for the young'uns.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Phinstripes View Post
    Yankees in Arizona Fall League, first game:

Florial 0-5, R (3 Ks) -- as DH
    Estrada 1-5
    Sensley 0-5, RBI (2 Ks)

Foley 2.1 IP, H, ER, 5K, 2BB (started)
    Wivinis 1 IP, 2 H, ER, 2K, 3 BB (took the loss)

Underwhelming game for the young'uns.
    Foley actually did OK. 5 Ks in 2.1 innings. And a below 4.00 ERA in that league is pretty good.

Foley is seven months older than Luis Severino, for a bit of context (on both of them, I guess).

NYYF Legend

BA's top 20 prospects for the Appy league includes 4 Yankees. Even better 3 of the 4 are pitchers...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...gue-prospects/

Yankees in Arizona Fall League, Game Two:

Florial 1-5, RBI, K (had an outfield assist, and was also thrown out going to third)
    Estrada 1-4, RBI, BB

Zurak 0.1 IP, 4H, 4ER, BB; gave up a grand slam.

Thread Information