+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Lets get this done already!
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjeep View Post
    Lets get this done already!
    You'll be waiting a while.. 5% chance it happens I give it

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    You'll be waiting a while.. 5% chance it happens I give it
    We said that about Stanton!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    This expresses my feelings perfectly although I'm content with the status quo + prospects as backup:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/01/...b-free-agents/
    Totally agree with this sentiment - this team has everything it needs to complete from day one this season.

IMO, save the remaining $21M for in-season moves and insure that they get below the luxury tax limit going into the next FA class.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

How about 5yrs, 100Mill, front loaded with first year paying 33 million and give yu an opt out after 1 yr?

Pretty much guaranteeing he’ll retest free agency while giving you a 20mil aav and a high salary for darvish for 1 yr “pillow” contract?

Makes too much sense not to...

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    How about 5yrs, 100Mill, front loaded with first year paying 33 million and give yu an opt out after 1 yr?

Pretty much guaranteeing he’ll retest free agency while giving you a 20mil aav and a high salary for darvish for 1 yr “pillow” contract?

Makes too much sense not to...
    Yea I think the only types of contracts for Darvish that make sense for the Yankees are ones that are heavily front loaded with options. I know no one wants to give Darvish tons of years, but if you do a long term deal that pays him in the 30M+ range the first couple years.

No way he takes that little though. I'd guess he has much better offers than that already, I'm sure.

I think you wait out his market and hope you can get him at something like 6yr 130ish and structure the deal to be front loaded with an opt out after 2 years. Still highly unlikely. Other teams need him more (Cubs) and have more financial flexibility (Astros).

At this point, we kind of need him

John Harper‏ @NYDNHarper 15m15 minutes ago
    Why did Cashman essentially pass on Cole? Source says GM thinks Darvish can be had at "reasonable" price...but can he really trade Ellsbury, not Robertson, to make the money work?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...Sports+Twitter

Two sources on Saturday night said Cashman's interest in signing Darvish, which he essentially made public during a WFAN interview on Thursday, is very real, largely because he believes this stalled free-agent market gives the Yankees a chance to get the Japanese star pitcher at a "reasonable" price.

What's reasonable? Not seven years and $160 million, which sources say the Yankees never offered to Darvish, contrary to what Michael Kay said on his ESPN radio show on Thursday.

That might be Darvish's asking price, but with teams throughout baseball determined to limit the length of long-term contracts, and the righthander coming off that poor World Series performance, the Yankees seem to think it's possible they could get him for five years, $80-$90 million.
    In any case, there is clearly some optimism on the Yankee GM's part that he can find a way to make all of this work with Darvish, or I have to believe he would have put together a package to get Cole from the Pirates.
    All indications were that Cashman was willing to trade Frazier, and it was thought he'd be willing to include pitching prospect Chance Adams, but perhaps he grew to feel strongly enough about the Darvish opportunity that he held tighter to his prospects than expected.

NYYF Legend

What difference would a front-loaded contract make when it’s average annual value is used to compute the payroll for luxury tax purposes?
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by H & T View Post
    John Harper‏ @NYDNHarper 15m15 minutes ago
    the Yankees seem to think it's possible they could get him for five years, $80-$90 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...Sports+Twitter
    If that were the case, they should be signing him any minute. No need to wait if you can get him now and stay under 197. Highly doubt he's that cheap anyway. I'm also not sure why it says the Yankees only have 16-18 mil left to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    What difference would a front-loaded contract make when it’s average annual value is used to compute the payroll for luxury tax purposes?
    It's an incentive for the FA to sign while making no change to the luxury tax. The Yankees should take advantage of this tactic whenever possible.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Here's my take:

No new contracts this off season have been longer than 3 years. Seems like to sign a longer term contract with more guaranteed money, there'd have to be an opt out clause after 3 years, and an incentive for the player to use that opt out. A front loaded contract (less money beginning in year 4) should do that.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Getting Darvish at a reasonable rate would be amazing. The Astros getting Cole probably takes them out of the running. So I think its the Yankees, Cubs, and Twins for Darvish.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

I'm not sure why he wouldn't just sign with the Cubs who are interested for more than a "reasonable price" unless he just wants to be a Yankee, I'm not buying that.

Also, they don't need to really move anyone substantial to fit 18M a year.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't just sign with the Cubs who are interested for more than a "reasonable price" unless he just wants to be a Yankee, I'm not buying that.

Also, they don't need to really move anyone substantial to fit 18M a year.
    I hope Boras realizes that the Cubs signing Darvish could put a major monkey wrench into his plans to get Arrieta signed and gives the Cubs a reasonable contract for Arrieta. So then Darvish really has only destination left.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I hope Boras realizes that the Cubs signing Darvish could put a major monkey wrench into his plans to get Arrieta signed and gives the Cubs a reasonable contract for Arrieta. So then Darvish really has only destination left.

This is really a good thought. Could Boras be trying to "steer" Darvish over to the Yanks in order for Arrieta to sign with the Cubs, so both his clients get signed a little easier and his commission check comes a little quicker?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

For ................s and giggles. 5/90 gets it done... not buying it, but for ................s and giggles we'll go with that bogus report..

Yankees would still be 26M under the tax.

benefits 12 to 13M
    rest of 40 man roster 6M
    in season moves 8M

Whats this talk they would have to move Robertson or gardner still? that's bogus. They could move Warren and they'd still be covered for in season moves.

NYYF Legend

Don’t take anything John Harper writes seriously, folks... dude’s track record is poor, at best... his version of “news” is mostly editorial-like observations and rumination... he honestly should just keep his tin foil hat theories on Twitter, where they belong

Darvish would be nice, but he’s not going to take some sweetheart deal to come to NY... and short of moving Ellsbury (which seems highly unlikely), there are no corresponding moves that Cashman can make in order to fit Darvish’s contract that would actually result in a net positive... trade Gardner? Dellin? Maybe Warren, but clearing just his salary would not be enough

It makes for great clickbait, but all logical signs point towards Darvish not being in pinstripes
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

For ................s and giggles. 5/90 gets it done... not buying it, but for ................s and giggles we'll go with that bogus report..

benefits 12 to 13M
    rest of 40 man roster 6M
    in season moves 8M

Whats this talk they would have to move Robertson or gardner still? that's bogus. They could move Warren and they'd still be covered for in season moves.
    You are incorrect. As it stands now, Yanks have a payroll of about $175M committed to 2018.

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/01/yan...ayroll-164320/

Assuming Darvish takes a $20M AAV, which I highly doubt, it would bring us to $195M which leaves very little wiggle room for in season moves.

No matter how you look at it you'll have to trade 2 of Ellsbury, Gardner, Drob, or Warren to make Darvish work.

benefits 12 to 13M
    rest of 40 man roster 6M
    in season moves 8M

After paying yu 18M, they'd be 26 under? Something about that math seems off...

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    Good pt., Boras does map the board . Be nice to land Yu at a "reasonable' price 5/100 but if he goes elsewhere then perhaps Arrieta might be falling our way though there have been no indications yet that Yanks are interested

On another note, find Kay's running mouth irritating to listen to, he shouldn't be putting out false info about Yank offer

NYYF Legend

If they are going to do this, keep Robertson. Trade Gardner. Sign Lind.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I would only add Darvish if Harper's numbers come to fruition and they can get him at 80-90 mil.

If you can get him at 17-18 AAV then I think you can live with only dealing Warren and going in to the season with 6 or 7 mil of cushion.

If Darvish's #is much higher than that and you start dealing multiple pieces off the 25 man to fit him in, I'm not sure the net effect of adding him is that favorable and now you've added an older piece on a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Don’t take anything John Harper writes seriously, folks... dude’s track record is poor, at best... his version of “news” is mostly editorial-like observations and rumination... he honestly should just keep his tin foil hat theories on Twitter, where they belong

Darvish would be nice, but he’s not going to take some sweetheart deal to come to NY... and short of moving Ellsbury (which seems highly unlikely), there are no corresponding moves that Cashman can make in order to fit Darvish’s contract that would actually result in a net positive... trade Gardner? Dellin? Maybe Warren, but clearing just his salary would not be enough

It makes for great clickbait, but all logical signs point towards Darvish not being in pinstripes
    I doubt they trade Gardner only because he's homegrown and a positive vet influence but he is an option if they really want space for Yu because his deal is movable. Same for Robby but he may be more valuable n irreplaceable in respective roles.

Gardy be 35 in August n Frazier could be platooned with Ellsbury in left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimeyank View Post
    I doubt they trade Gardner only because he's homegrown and a positive vet influence but he is an option if they really want space for Yu because his deal is movable. Same for Robby but he may be more valuable n irreplaceable in respective roles.

Gardy be 35 in August n Frazier could be platooned with Ellsbury in left.
    Robby's still pitching at a high level. Getting rid of Gardner also opens up an outfield spot for Frasier besides his age.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    This is really a good thought. Could Boras be trying to "steer" Darvish over to the Yanks in order for Arrieta to sign with the Cubs, so both his clients get signed a little easier and his commission check comes a little quicker?
    I don't think Boras is Darvish's agent. However, I do think that the Cubs value Darvish higher than Arrieta and are considering both of them. And the Yankees are only considering Darvish.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Thread Information