+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17
    NYYF Legend

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Why can't you trade that contract? Front loading a contract would theoretically increase his trade value, as part of the cost of the remaining value of the contract was pre-paid, so to speak. I'm not following you on that point.

Also, for a guy like Darvish and a team like the Yankees an opt-out might be best case scenario. They get him for two years at a premium cost (but structured so as to still achieve the goal of getting under threshold), and then he pitches for someone else for his age 33 - 36 seasons. With Montgomery and guys like Sheffield, Adams, and some of the other young promising arms coming up, let him walk.
    All of this.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    All of this.
    Maybe I don't understand. I know there is a team buy out his last year but I can't recall a team opt out after 2-3 years. I know there are player opt outs but I don't know why he would sign such a contract. It's like JD (I know Scotts wants 200M but...) wanting more years because this may be his last contract. I can't see him taking a contract for 7 years with a BoSox opt out at 3 yrs even if it's 25M/yr for the 3 years and 12M/yr for 4 (123M).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Maybe I don't understand. I know there is a team buy out his last year but I can't recall a team opt out after 2-3 years. I know there are player opt outs but I don't know why he would sign such a contract. It's like JD (I know Scotts wants 200M but...) wanting more years because this may be his last contract. I can't see him taking a contract for 7 years with a BoSox opt out at 3 yrs even if it's 25M/yr for the 3 years and 12M/yr for 4 (123M).
    We're talking about a player opt-out. Some players like the option of being able to opt out for a variety of reasons (e.g., determine if they like playing in that market before committing long term; play for a bigger contract if they sign the current contract during a buyer's market, etc).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

2015-2017
    Yu Darvish 6.5 WAR, 123 ERA+
    Lance Lynn 6.5 WAR, 127 ERA+

just saying...

Also from the same years, Lynn's GB ratio 44%, Darvish 40%.

Darvish however does have a better K/BB ratio.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    We're talking about a player opt-out. Some players like the option of being able to opt out for a variety of reasons (e.g., determine if they like playing in that market before committing long term; play for a bigger contract if they sign the current contract during a buyer's market, etc).
    Thanks. Most players like them.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    2015-2017
    Yu Darvish 6.5 WAR, 123 ERA+
    Lance Lynn 6.5 WAR, 127 ERA+

just saying...

Also from the same years, Lynn's GB ratio 44%, Darvish 40%.

Darvish however does have a better K/BB ratio.
    Lynn is definitely an interesting consideration, and someone I'm hoping the Yankees are monitoring, but Darvish posted that same WAR (as flawed as it is) in noticeably less time and mostly in the AL.

Darvish: 48 GS, 286 IP
    Lynn: 61 GS, 361 IP

Also, and perhaps most importantly, there's compensation attached to Lynn, while Darvish is just money.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Lynn is definitely an interesting consideration, and someone I'm hoping the Yankees are monitoring, but Darvish posted that same WAR (as flawed as it is) in noticeably less time and mostly in the AL.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, there's compensation attached to Lynn, while Darvish is just money.
    Good point, forgot because he was traded in season there's no pick attached.

NYYF Legend

Good point, forgot because he was traded in season there's no pick attached.
    PickS.

The Yankees would lose their 2nd & 5th round picks (and their corresponding pool slots), plus $1M in IFA money.

PickS.

The Yankees would lose their 2nd & 5th round picks (and their corresponding pool slots), plus $1M in IFA money.
    depending on the contract no?

When I read the complete list of players, I was wondering why no one has mentioned Lynn. He may not be top of the line, but he's a very interesting option, one I would be excited about.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

NYYF Legend

depending on the contract no?
    Nope. You receive a QO and turn it down, the compensation is set in stone (depending on where the franchise stands with regards to the LT, obviously). Same for every player that turns it down.

NYYF Legend

Nope. You receive a QO and turn it down, the compensation is set in stone (depending on where the franchise stands with regards to the LT, obviously). Same for every player that turns it down.

IMO if they're set on spending some money on a SP then the difference between Lynn's estimated $15M per season vs. Darvish's AAV is not enough of a savings to offset the loss of draft picks and money.

I like the idea of signing Darvish for 5 years but giving him enough incentive to opt out after 2 or 3. Load up on the front end.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

PickS.

If they were able to sign Lynn and stay under the lux tax I really wouldn't care much about this this year given the depth of their current system. They are already in a position where they are looking at losing assets to Rule 5 for the foreseeable future, which is a good place to be actually.

But if they are ever going to be hit with these "penalties" now is not a bad time for it.

Obviously that's contingent on the market remaining soft.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Who is Lance Lynn better than in our current rotation? Guy had like a 5 FIP last year. Make a legit upgrade or don't.

Fulmer or bust.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN 18m18 minutes ago
    There are folks with other teams who believe that the Twins have a real shot to sign Yu Darvish. They've got a ton of payroll flexibility, they have a rotation need, and they're well-positioned to compete in a weakened AL Central in the next few years.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN 18m18 minutes ago
    There are folks with other teams who believe that the Twins have a real shot to sign Yu Darvish. They've got a ton of payroll flexibility, they have a rotation need, and they're well-positioned to compete in a weakened AL Central in the next few years.
    which begs the question, they've had that all off season, why haven't they signed him yet?

which begs the question, they've had that all off season, why haven't they signed him yet?
    Good point.

A Japanese star of that magnitude playing in Minnesota is laughable.

Yu Darvish probably is holding out for the best offer.

The Twins may have the best offer to date (or not) but Darvish could still hope for a better offer.

Thread Information