+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

The Yankees are seriously considering signing free-agent starter Yu Darvish to help bolster their rotation, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.
    The Yankees want to add a frontline starter and have been trying to go after guys such as the Pirates’ Gerrit Cole, the Tigers’ Michael Fulmer, the Rays’ Chris Archer and free agent Alex Cobb.

However, the trade talks between the Yankees and Pirates have stalled since Dec. 22, when the Yankees said they were hopeful to put together a package that did not include top prospect Gleyber Torres. As far as Fulmer and Archer, Fulmer is coming off an injury and Archer plays for a division rival, which makes trades for them seem unlikely. In regards to Cobb, Heyman says the Yankees “like” him, but Cobb has also drawn interest from the Cubs, Orioles, Rangers and Blue Jays.

Which brings up Darvish, who Heyman says people within the Yankees organization like the idea of having on the team, and at “a reasonable price,” will be looked at by the club.
    Last year, Darvish posted a 10-12 record with a 3.86 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 209 strikeouts over the course of 186 2⁄3 innings between the Rangers and the Dodgers. After being acquired at the non-waiver deadline by the Dodgers, Darvish helped the club get to the World Series by winning games in both the NLDS and NLCS, but had two disastrous starts in the Fall Classic, including Game 7.
    So far, Darvish has drawn interest from the Cubs, Astros and Twins. In fact, the Cubs and Astros both met Darvish in Texas, as the Cubs saw him on Dec. 18 and the Astros talked to Darvish a day later.

One thing that is clear with the Yankees is that they want to get under the $197 million luxury tax threshold. Heyman says “they might need to make a little room” by getting Darvish at a reasonable rate and possibly trade Jacoby Ellsbury, a high-priced veteran who has a full no-trade clause but “is said to be willing to consider a few scenarios.”
    Adding Darvish would also give the Yankees a rotation that includes Luis Severino, Masahiro Tanaka, Sonny Gray, Jordan Montgomery and CC Sabathia. This staff could be strong enough to help the Yankees, who also added Giancarlo Stanton this offseason, get to the World Series after losing to the eventual champion Astros in seven games last year in the ALCS.
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

NYYF Legend

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

It’s not the worst idea in the world, as Gray is signed for 2 more years and Tanaka 3... CC will prob be gone/retired after next year, so they’re gonna need someone to front their rotation

Only problem is the lux tax... they have to get rid of Ellsbury in order for it to work, which is why I don’t see it happening
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    It’s not the worst idea in the world, as Gray is signed for 2 more years and Tanaka 3... CC will prob be gone/retired after next year, so they’re gonna need someone to front their rotation

Only problem is the lux tax... they have to get rid of Ellsbury in order for it to work, which is why I don’t see it happening
    I wonder if the Yankees might be regretting giving CC that 1 year deal worth 10 mil now.

One never knows with the Yankees? Getting rid of Ellsbury opens the door for Fraiser and we keep our prospects that we would give for lower level Pitchers. Darvish could be an Ace!

This seems unrealistic to me.

For one, Darvish turns 32 in August. Ideally he wouldn't be signed for more than 4 years; and and even then I wouldn't expect outstanding production through age 36 from a guy who has pitched a lot in his life. And if he were to agree to a 4 year contract, I don't see that happening without a big annual salary. And I agree that the luxury tax is a major obstacle and that moving Ellsbury would have to be necessary, at the minimum. This is to say nothing about how difficult accomplishing just that has been.
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    This seems unrealistic to me.

For one, Darvish turns 32 in August. Ideally he wouldn't be signed for more than 4 years; and and even then I wouldn't expect outstanding production through age 36 from a guy who has pitched a lot in his life. And if he were to agree to a 4 year contract, I don't see that happening without a big annual salary. And I agree that the luxury tax is a major obstacle and that moving Ellsbury would have to be necessary, at the minimum. This is to say nothing about how difficult accomplishing just that has been.
    If he is asking for 5, that is a non starter to me. Four I wouldn’t even want to be honest but might if the AAV is low enough.so in other words, he most likely is not coming.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If he is asking for 5, that is a non starter to me. Four I wouldn’t even want to be honest but might if the AAV is low enough.so in other words, he most likely is not coming.
    I guess it's up to Darvish and how badly he would want to play for the Yankees!

Signing Darvish and staying under the luxury cap is easy. Just dump Gardner and his 13 million AAV on a team needing a productive OFer. The Yankees don't need Gardner now. Getting an ace starter is much more valuable. Frazier can be kept and Ellsbury can be the over paid 4th OFer. It is clear to me that this is the best baseball decision and it is just selling the beloved Gardner to the fans that prevents it.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Signing Darvish and staying under the luxury cap is easy. Just dump Gardner and his 13 million AAV on a team needing a productive OFer. The Yankees don't need Gardner now. Getting an ace starter is much more valuable. Frazier can be kept and Ellsbury can be the over paid 4th OFer. It is clear to me that this is the best baseball decision and it is just selling the beloved Gardner to the fans that prevents it.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The teams that make the tough decisions stay on top and at 34, it's time to go and make room for the young guys. So I agree!

Calls a tool a tool

Do we really want to blow our wad on Darvish this year or wait till next year. Kershaw or Keuchel? Or Bumgardner the year after that. Cash is just posturing here for the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Do we really want to blow our wad on Darvish this year or wait till next year. Kershaw or Keuchel? Or Bumgardner the year after that. Cash is just posturing here for the Pirates.
    I don't think Kershaw makes it to the market. I can't see the Dodgers not bringing him back. Keuchel just hired Boras and has been injured the past 2 years; plus I can't stand him(is that a good enough reason to not pursue?). MadBum is a stud, and I'd love to have him, but he's 2 years away. Gray is an FA after 2 years and Tanaka after 3, so I don't see how getting Darvish now would prevent us from getting MadBum in 2 years. BTW, I'm not advocating to get Darvish--unless the deal is too good to pass up.

I can't see this happening, but its worth checking it out. Probably means they'd have to longer on the years for Darvish to keep his luxury tax hit low. And as others have mentioned if you can't dump enough of Ellsbury's deal you have to look at moving Gardner.

If you can get the money to work, maybe. The trade route or standing pat feels safer though, but there's a good case to go all-in right now when the window is wide open for this team and guys like Judge, Sanchez, Didi, Torres and others will be cheap.

NYYF Legend

Wonder if he'd take a one year deal. It's potentially better as many big teams have the cash coming off the books.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Wonder if he'd take a one year deal. It's potentially better as many big teams have the cash coming off the books.
    Would be nice, but he would be giving up long-term security in case of an injury.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I love how virtually every move that is reported about the Yankees includes a reference to the Yankees creating luxury tax room by moving Ellsbury and his contract.

Years ago, I informed the CFO of the system I was working in that the Senate had passed and the President had signed a bill that gave the Hospital I worked at $1M towards a linear accelerator that the Hospital was replacing. His response was epic - "I'll believe it when the check clears the bank."

With regards to an Ellsbury trade, I reply in the same manner - until it actually occurs, I don't believe the Yankees will be able to unload Elbatrossbury and his contract.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Yankees planting this to get the Pirates (someone else) to move?
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I wonder if he’d do four year with first year opt out and front loaded money.

Something like 4 yrs 80 mill but first year is 30mil. Basically almost guaranteeing an opt out but giving us the benefits of low aav while giving him longterm security.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post

Something like 4 yrs 80 mill but first year is 30mil. Basically almost guaranteeing an opt out but giving us the benefits of low aav while giving him longterm security.
    Which takes us out of signing any better players next off season as we will again have punted getting under the luxury tax level.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If Yankees can sign Darvish and stay under the 197 million they can still go after Kershaw or Keuchel.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

You could eat all but 7 of Ells 21 million AAV and trade a guy like Warren (3.1 MM), Betances (4.4MM) or Shreve (.9MM) . To eat less of his salary you could sweeten it with a prospect or 2 going back to the other team.

Or get more aggressive (not preferable per se) and trade one of Gardner (11.5MM) or Robertson(13MMM)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post

This is actually a great idea - I would even front load it more. 4/80 with 35 in year one followed by 3/45. Great way to screw the system.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    There are many ways to skin a cat.

You could eat all but 7 of Ells 21 million AAV and trade a guy like Warren (3.1 MM), Betances (4.4MM) or Shreve (.9MM) . To eat less of his salary you could sweeten it with a prospect or 2 going back to the other team.

Or get more aggressive (not preferable per se) and trade one of Gardner (11.5MM) or Robertson(13MMM)
    In this current climate, where relief pitching is king, I can’t see Cashman subtracting from the major league pen unless he knows another elite arm is coming in... at this point, you have to think that getting rid of Ellsbury is critical to them making any more serious moves
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This is actually a great idea - I would even front load it more. 4/80 with 35 in year one followed by 3/45. Great way to screw the system.
    I think it really comes down to the years... while he is the best pitcher on the market, is he truly “elite” enough to garner the 6 year deals that aces have been getting in years past? Or is this finally the year that the market begins to self-correct and 3-4 year deals become the norm?

I’d do 4 with an option, but all it takes is one team to commit more years, and I do believe him to be the type who prefers security over actual dollar amount
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I forgot for a minute that it is the AAV that determines how much applies towards the luxury tax. I would consider this on the condition the Yanks are able to shed $8-10 million elsewhere. I want to be in position to make a trade in July if needed.

Thread Information