+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Yankees planting this to get the Pirates (someone else) to move?
    According to this article, the Yankees have been turned down for Cole, Archer, and Fulmer because the trade did not include Gleyber.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartandhp
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

I have mixed feelings about Yu. The WS performance still seems a little odd to me. I know, small sample size and, according to some Astro players, he was tipping his pitches. Yet, he won his first two games in the playoffs, iirc. So, you would think he did not change anything about his delivery, why wasn't he tipping in those first two games ? And why didn't his catcher, teammates , coaches catch on after the first WS performance ? I'm not a conspiracy kind of guy, but something just seems off to me about Yu.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    According to this article, the Yankees have been turned down for Cole, Archer, and Fulmer because the trade did not include Gleyber.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartandhp
    Huntington is out of his mind. Screw the Pirates if he was only serious for dealing Cole if Torres was included.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Huntington is out of his mind. Screw the Pirates if he was only serious for dealing Cole if Torres was included.
    He is.

If this was the 2015 version of Gerrit Cole, then I'd maybe think about possibly including Torres. As it stands now, heck no.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    He is.

If this was the 2015 version of Gerrit Cole, then I'd maybe think about possibly including Torres. As it stands now, heck no.
    I am not even sure I would do Frazier and Adams
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

If this stops the Yankees for giving up a bunch of prospects for Cole I'm all for it....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

This can't happen unless they move at least another 10M.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Signing Darvish and staying under the luxury cap is easy. Just dump Gardner and his 13 million AAV on a team needing a productive OFer. The Yankees don't need Gardner now. Getting an ace starter is much more valuable. Frazier can be kept and Ellsbury can be the over paid 4th OFer. It is clear to me that this is the best baseball decision and it is just selling the beloved Gardner to the fans that prevents it.
    Doubt the Yankees have any interest in moving Gardner.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    If this stops the Yankees for giving up a bunch of prospects for Cole I'm all for it....
    I agree with this ^^^.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If Yankees can sign Darvish and stay under the 197 million they can still go after Kershaw or Keuchel.

And stay under? They will prolly have to trade Gardner to sign Darvish and stay under. So who comes off next year that allows them to clear another 25-30 million to sign Kershaw or Keuchel? Robertson 11. McCann 5.5. Anyone else?

NYYF Legend

I have mixed feelings about Yu. The WS performance still seems a little odd to me. I know, small sample size and, according to some Astro players, he was tipping his pitches. Yet, he won his first two games in the playoffs, iirc. So, you would think he did not change anything about his delivery, why wasn't he tipping in those first two games ? And why didn't his catcher, teammates , coaches catch on after the first WS performance ? I'm not a conspiracy kind of guy, but something just seems off to me about Yu.
    Same thing happened to Pettitte in 2001. Pitched well until game 6 of the series when Arizona found out he was tipping his pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    And stay under? They will prolly have to trade Gardner to sign Darvish and stay under. So who comes off next year that allows them to clear another 25-30 million to sign Kershaw or Keuchel? Robertson 11. McCann 5.5. Anyone else?
    No one, they just need to get under once to reset and minimize penalties. They don't need to stay under.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

CC 10 million

Really dont see it happening

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Signing Darvish and staying under the luxury cap is easy. Just dump Gardner and his 13 million AAV on a team needing a productive OFer. The Yankees don't need Gardner now. Getting an ace starter is much more valuable. Frazier can be kept and Ellsbury can be the over paid 4th OFer. It is clear to me that this is the best baseball decision and it is just selling the beloved Gardner to the fans that prevents it.
    Really smart thinking. If they can get him at 3-4 years, this makes all the sense in the world.

My concern is that Yu has been declining every year.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Sounds to me like Cashman is leaking this in hopes of creating a sense of urgency with Huntington and Neander.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    No one, they just need to get under once to reset and minimize penalties. They don't need to stay under.

That's kind of pointless. Getting under 1 time has a maximum worth of about $20 million. Is that 20 million saved by going under 1 time worth it if we wind up losing by 1 game again. I assumed that they were planning on going under and staying under, and only time to time going over. Seems kind of penny wise pound foolish if their intention is to go under 1 time only, if that's what they have planned.

Personally I don't think its realistic for them to be under the cap and perennially field the type of team that fans expect. If they plan on being under the cap most of the time, the best they are going to be able to do is field teams that require periodic teardowns and don't contend separated by windows where they have a good contending team. Teams like the Yankees and Dodgers probably should look at the tax as a cost of doing business that builds their brand and generates more revenue than it costs them in taxes.

Look at this another way. In the 14 year period from 2003 to 2016, the Yankees have payed a penalty all 14 times, for a total of about 303 million $. Their average payment is more than 20 million a year. What have we got for that? 1 WS title in 2009. As I said above, getting under 1 time only has a maximum savings of about $20 million (30% of the overage 1 year after + 20% of the overage the second year after). And that's assuming we blow past the LTthreshold right up to the additional surtax threshold, which is 20 million higher than the LT Threshhold, making the overage $20 million.

2018, when they are on the cusp of multiple titles, is the wrong time for Steingrabber to be getting cheap. This team is easily the best team of the last 15 years, except for the 2009 team, and they need to spend now while the window for titles is open.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Sounds to me like Cashman is leaking this in hopes of creating a sense of urgency with Huntington and Neander.
    Sure could be. See my post above.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Sure could be. See my post above.
    Just saw your post on page 1 - great minds think alike!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

That's kind of pointless. Getting under 1 time has a maximum worth of about $20 million. Is that 20 million saved by going under 1 time worth it if we wind up losing by 1 game again. I assumed that they were planning on going under and staying under, and only time to time going over. Seems kind of penny wise pound foolish if their intention is to go under 1 time only, if that's what they have planned.

Personally I don't think its realistic for them to be under the cap and perennially field the type of team that fans expect. If they plan on being under the cap most of the time, the best they are going to be able to do is field teams that require periodic teardowns and don't contend separated by windows where they have a good contending team. Teams like the Yankees and Dodgers probably should look at the tax as a cost of doing business that builds their brand and generates more revenue than it costs them in taxes.

Look at this another way. In the 14 year period from 2003 to 2016, the Yankees have payed a penalty all 14 times, for a total of about 303 million $. Their average payment is more than 20 million a year. What have we got for that? 1 WS title in 2009. As I said above, getting under 1 time only has a maximum savings of about $20 million (30% of the overage 1 year after + 20% of the overage the second year after). And that's assuming we blow past the LTthreshold right up to the additional surtax threshold, which is 20 million higher than the LT Threshhold, making the overage $20 million.

2018, when they are on the cusp of multiple titles, is the wrong time for Steingrabber to be getting cheap. This team is easily the best team of the last 15 years, except for the 2009 team, and they need to spend now while the window for titles is open.
    I believe we are at a 95% penalty for any dollar over 197M given how many years we've been over. Going under even once restarts us at 20%, so I think the potential to save more than 20M us there..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I believe we are at a 95% penalty for any dollar over 197M given how many years we've been over. Going under even once restarts us at 20%, so I think the potential to save more than 20M us there..
    Also we donít have to spend money. Any move we do make would be because of something too good to pass up
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

If Yankees trade Betances and Warren that's 8M less than they would have in arbitration money. That could be enough for in season moves

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Just saw your post on page 1 - great minds think alike!
    Hahahahaha
    Yup
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This is actually a great idea - I would even front load it more. 4/80 with 35 in year one followed by 3/45. Great way to screw the system.
    Yup. Altho these types of deals might get frowned upon by the commissioner.

I had another idea awhile back of extending arod's contract a few more years at 1mil a pop. It would lower the aav, give a rod more money when inevitably the Yankees dfa him, and also save the Yankees serious $ from lux taxes.

I was at the world series in LA. Saw darvish warm up in g7. He had lots of trouble locating his pitches. Half his pitches weren't anywhere near the catchers glove even in warm up. It was pretty obvious he was going to be trash that day.

I don't think it was just tipping pitches - It must've been a combination of both tipping and location issues.

I say all this even tho I'm a big darvish fan. I'd be wary...

Thread Information