+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Well, for one thing, he has spent his career in the AL, except for the end of last season after being traded by the Rangers to the Dodgers. For another, the Yankees, like other teams, evaluate pitchers by other parameters than wins.

I am skeptical of Darvish being a good investment over a four or five year contract, 9 figure contract. But I would bet on him improving the Yankee rotation in 2018.
    I agree with the bold. He would make the Yanks better in 2018 but I don't want to sign him at his age for the dollars and years he will command. Even if it is as at a discount from what was expected when last season ended. I still think it's going to be more $ and years than will be prudent.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
    1h
    Per sources and reports, delay on Darvish seems to be stemming from number of factors: Efforts of #Yankees and #Dodgers to clear salary; entrance of new teams such as #Brewers into bidding; Darvish’s agents waiting to get their price. @RobertMurrayFRS, @McCulloughTimes on it.
    So who are they trying to clear salary on. I know it's not Ellsbury given his contract and NTC. Gardner?

I just hope they don't trade Robertson. I think that would weaken the team more than any free agent starter would help.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Well, for one thing, he has spent his career in the AL, except for the end of last season after being traded by the Rangers to the Dodgers. For another, the Yankees, like other teams, evaluate pitchers by other parameters than wins.

I am skeptical of Darvish being a good investment over a four or five year contract, 9 figure contract. But I would bet on him improving the Yankee rotation in 2018.
    Holy crap-major brain fart. Thanks for being nice about my idiocy
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

I just hope they don't trade Robertson. I think that would weaken the team more than any free agent starter would help.
    Agree completely. Plus he is closer insurance.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Gardner would probably go before Robertson -- if Betances is still a pumpkin, a major strength turns into a need. Not that Gardner is getting traded because he's actually productive and a cog in the clubhouse. Cobb might be more likely but he comes with the concern of losing his best pitch last year.

NYYF Legend

I am highly skeptical that the Yankees are interested at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    I am highly skeptical that the Yankees are interested at all.

Not sure about the upper management but cashman has been on record as a fan of singing darvish if it can be done under the right terms.

When the dust settles, Darvish will be a Yankee. 5 years 125 mil
    Rich

It will be the 1st team to blink and give him 6 years...wont be the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Yes. Robertson too valuable as a closer if Chapman has a bad stretch like last season.

if the Yankees really "loved" Darvish, they wouldn't be opposed to moving Gardner to clear salary when you can have Stanton or even Clint Frazier play LF full time. They're not really that in love with Darvish at all.

I agree with the above.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    if the Yankees really "loved" Darvish, they wouldn't be opposed to moving Gardner to clear salary when you can have Stanton or even Clint Frazier play LF full time. They're not really that in love with Darvish at all.
    I don't believe this. I think they love Darvish, but want it on their terms (both AAV and years). If they get a commitment from him they go and line up the moves to clear salary before announcing anything.

I think the Yankees of today would be opposed to signing any non-legitimate ACE pitcher to a 6 year deal or an AAV over $25 mil.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

I don't believe this. I think they love Darvish, but want it on their terms (both AAV and years). If they get a commitment from him they go and line up the moves to clear salary before announcing anything.

I think the Yankees of today would be opposed to signing any non-legitimate ACE pitcher to a 6 year deal or an AAV over $25 mil.
    so if he's asking for that, why are they even wasting their time with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Gardner is about as valuable as Darvish. So moving him to bring in Darvish, wouldn't make us better...especially when the 5-man we already have is good enough to compete.
    We're trying to get better and add to the good things we already have.

The Yankees are likely waiting this out and hoping he'll fall to them in a way that both parties can have their backs scratched. If he goes elsewhere, we won't have missed out on anything because we already have a 25 man roster that can compete.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

I'm on mlb spotrac payroll/roster manager. hypothetically say the Yankees signed Darvish for 23M per year (around what Tanaka gets) just hypothetical.

If they moved Betances (5.1), they would have 28M in luxury tax space for the benefits (12-13M), rest of the 40 and in season moves, bonuses (CC/Stanton) (15M combined here), you really don't think that's enough? that's just moving Betances 5.1M.

so again I ask how much can they really like him?

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Gardner is about as valuable as Darvish. So moving him to bring in Darvish, wouldn't make us better...especially when the 5-man we already have is good enough to compete.

The Yankees are likely waiting this out and hoping he'll fall to them in a way that both parties can have their backs scratched. If he goes elsewhere, we won't have missed out on anything because we already have a 25 man roster that can compete.
    Gardner is about as valuable, that's debatable, especially when you have clint Frazier who can step in, not to mention you can have Giancarlo Stanton playing LF.

point is, they're not "in love" with him like people are claiming.

Agreed. Cash is the master negotiator. I think we get him and Cash is waiting it out to see just how 'cheaply' we can get away with.

Gardner does not have close to the same value as a potential TOR pitcher. It's not close. When you invest in a guy you are also looking at what they are capable of doing at their peak. Darvish peak>>>Gardner peak. Gardners got a few years on Darvish too.

The Dodgers are his preferred team. They are probably trying to clear salary as well to sign him.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    The Dodgers are his preferred team. They are probably trying to clear salary as well to sign him.
    If I were the GM on a team that had given him an offer, I would have withdrawn it the minute he made this comment - if LA does not clear the space, my offer just went down.

Stupidest thing in the world during negotiations is to show your entire hand. Reminds me of playing blackjack where the deal has to show both cards.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Gardner does not have close to the same value as a potential TOR pitcher. It's not close. When you invest in a guy you are also looking at what they are capable of doing at their peak. Darvish peak>>>Gardner peak. Gardners got a few years on Darvish too.
    On average, Gardner has been a 3+ win player these past 5 seasons. And healthy.
    Darvish, in his first 2 seasons, was closer to 5 but that was before the injury and this is now a starter over the age of 30. 3.7 wins in 14, nada in 15, 2.7 in 16 and 3.5 in 17.

Of course, in October, Darvish all the way. But you still have to play 162 before October and Gardner over the 162 is just as valuable.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

NYYF Legend

We can do better than Darvish. He is not worth the years and $ that is being talked about. Gardner is more valuable to our team than Darvish given what we have in our system to do what Darvish.

I am all for getting a young stud Starter and I would pay dearly to get one. Darvish doesn't fit those qualifications
    Lets move on.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

On average, Gardner has been a 3+ win player these past 5 seasons. And healthy.
    Darvish, in his first 2 seasons, was closer to 5 but that was before the injury and this is now a starter over the age of 30. 3.7 wins in 14, nada in 15, 2.7 in 16 and 3.5 in 17.

Of course, in October, Darvish all the way. But you still have to play 162 before October and Gardner over the 162 is just as valuable.

This team is set up to be pretty dominant in the regular season. The issue is matching zero with some of the stacked staffs out there. We absolutely maximized CC(who is a year older) ,Tanaka (also a year older) and Severino (for the most part) and still came up a game short of making it to the WS.

We need another pitcher which is why I wish we ponied up for Cole but now we will need to pony up $$$ for Darvish or somebody of that quality.

Thread Information