+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Yeah guys, I mean he hasn’t won more than 10 GAMES since his rookie season... pretty unspectacular, if you ask me
    Not quite accurate. He won 13 games in his second season (2013).

We all know the Yankees can’t trade Ellsbury. If they could, they would have done so by now. Even offering to swallow a big chunk of his salary hasn’t worked. The dude has hit rock bottom and nobody wants him, at any rate. So we’re stuck with Ellsbury and we didn’t trade Frazier as expected, which means we have a glut of OF’s and it makes no sense to keep them all.

That said, Gardner actually has value as a leadoff hitter and trading his contract, combined with the current 15 million we already are under the cap, should give us more than enough to make a real run at Yu Darvish. Best case scenario we can get him to sign a one year deal at big money and a chance to bet on himself, then try again next year as a FA having reestablished his ace status. If we have to go two or three years, so be it, then we go for the extra years, but I wouldn’t go more than three and I don’t see anyone beating down his door, but first we have to trade another contract and Gardner, unlike Ellsbury, is tradable.

==

I would only add …

Because we kept Frazier who can backup all three OF positions, including CF, we’d still be fine at that position.

We would have Stanton and Judge starting in the Corners, Hicks starting in CF, and Frazier as the forth OF across the board.

Oh, and there’s Ellsbury too
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    We all know the Yankees can’t trade Ellsbury. If they could, they would have done so by now. Even offering to swallow a big chunk of his salary hasn’t worked. The dude has hit rock bottom and nobody wants him, at any rate.
    Well, nobody in the Cactus League, anyway. Hard to tell how much his NTC obstructionism may be jamming the gears as far as Grapefruit teams.

Can't imagine Darvish is gettable on a 1 year deal. "Nobody beating down his door" doesn't necessarily equal pillow contract. Especially in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

Can't imagine Darvish is gettable on a 1 year deal. "Nobody beating down his door" doesn't necessarily equal pillow contract. Especially in this market.
    My point on Darvish is that no-one seems to be offering the mega, multi years deal he anticipated because he's coming off a down year (by his own ace standards) and he's been breaking down physically in recent years. Therefore he might figure that at this point its in his own best interest to take a one year deal for ace money, 20+ million, and bet on himself in 2018, that he can stay healthy, pitch like an ace, then try again for the mega deal in free agency next year.

Or perhaps not, maybe he'll just keep holding out for someone to offer that mega deal, but at some point he might have to accept that its not happening this year, so its in his own best interest to take 20+ million for one year from the Yankees, a team that will give him run support out the wazoo and a likely chance to pitch again in the post season, and bet on himself in 2018.

But like I said, if we have to spring for more years, I'd put the limit at three.
    Last edited by Battingly; 01-27-18 at 02:00 PM.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Darvish is going to get a nine figure deal this offseason, he's not coming to NY. I have said MIN for a while, but maybe the Cubs step up, we'll see.

NYYF Legend

Jerry Crasnick @jcrasnick 22m22 minutes ago
    Not sure how close Yu Darvish is to a decision, but the field appears to be narrowing. Some execs think #Cubs are still the frontrunner. The rest of the starting market is waiting for him to make a call.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

One year deal? No way.

But as some have pointed out a 5/$100 deal where he makes $30 million in year one with an opt out after his first year? That could be his best option if this market is as slow as it seems.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    One year deal? No way.

But as some have pointed out a 5/$100 deal where he makes $30 million in year one with an opt out after his first year? That could be his best option if this market is as slow as it seems.
    How would this deal work as an AAV? Player options are considered guaranteed, so I would assume the AAV would be total value divided by total years, so the AAV of a front loaded contract would be less than the cash value.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    How would this deal work as an AAV? Player options are considered guaranteed, so I would assume the AAV would be total value divided by total years, so the AAV of a front loaded contract would be less than the cash value.
    You are correct. The AAV would be for the entire length of the contract. Then if a player elects to opt out, there would be an "even up" fee charged the following year.

So if it were 5/$100 million with $30 million the first year and he opts out after that first year, the team would take a $20 million hit in 2018 and a $10 million hit in 2019.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    You are correct. The AAV would be for the entire length of the contract. Then if a player elects to opt out, there would be an "even up" fee charged the following year.

So if it were 5/$100 million with $30 million the first year and he opts out after that first year, the team would take a $20 million hit in 2018 and a $10 million hit in 2019.
    Interesting concept - let's offer him a 1 year/$25M contract with a $5M player option.

Get him for $15M AAV. I don't think the commish would go for it, though.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

https://www.mlb.com/news/updating-5-...on/c-265542338

Yu Darvish: One industry source believes the Twins are willing to offer Darvish a five-year contract, while the Cubs' comfort level has been at four years. When contacted by MLB.com, the teams did not confirm whether they have made offers of those lengths, and Darvish's representatives have not commented on negotiations.

The Dodgers still would like to re-sign Darvish. The Los Angeles Times has reported that they likely would need to trade Matt Kemp, Logan Forsythe or Yasmani Grandal in order to afford Darvish while ensuring that they remain under the $197 million luxury-tax threshold this year.

NYYF Legend

Darvish reportedly loved it in LA. I wonder if he's waiting for them to clear salary before deciding on an alternative.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Darvish reportedly loved it in LA. I wonder if he's waiting for them to clear salary before deciding on an alternative.
    That was the rumor being floated yesterday.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

What about Adam Warren for Yasmani Grandal? That is a $4.6M difference, opens up a spot for us to audition relievers like Heller and Holder, gives LA's questionable pen another solid guy, and helps them get closer to being able to sign Darvish.

NYYF Legend

Wait for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Wait for it...
    tranquility?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Wait for it...
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
    1h
    Per sources and reports, delay on Darvish seems to be stemming from number of factors: Efforts of #Yankees and #Dodgers to clear salary; entrance of new teams such as #Brewers into bidding; Darvish’s agents waiting to get their price. @RobertMurrayFRS, @McCulloughTimes on it.

Ken Rosenthal

Per sources and reports, delay on Darvish seems to be stemming from number of factors: Efforts of #Yankees and #Dodgers to clear salary; entrance of new teams such as #Brewers into bidding; Darvish’s agents waiting to get their price. @RobertMurrayFRS, @McCulloughTimes on it.
    Rich

NYYF Legend

Should have never signed CC.
    Calmer than you are

If the Yankees are trying to move some salary so they can make a run at Darvish, it can only be Gardner they are trying to move. As I said last week, Ellsbury is untradable, we're stuck with him, and we have too many OF's, especially having kept Frazier, so it makes sense to move Gardner and make a run at Darvish.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Should have never signed CC.
    That's a little harsh for a guy that went 14-5 w/ a 3.69 ERA in the regular season, many of those wins of the "stopper" variety, and 1-1 with a 2.37 ERA in the post season. Also a good club house guy by all accounts.

Maybe I'm not as enamored with Darvish as the rest of you folks, at least at his current asking price.

I feel good about our rotation + Warren, Green, Kahnle, Robertson, Betances, & Chapman on the back end.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Can someone please explain to me why we are interested in a pitcher with a high of 13 wins in a season, doing so in a league where he only pitches to 8 man line-ups, and who will cost a ton on top of it?

What am I missing?
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by neyugnt View Post
    That's a little harsh for a guy that went 14-5 w/ a 3.69 ERA in the regular season, many of those wins of the "stopper" variety, and 1-1 with a 2.37 ERA in the post season. Also a good club house guy by all accounts.

Maybe I'm not as enamored with Darvish as the rest of you folks, at least at his current asking price.

I feel good about our rotation + Warren, Green, Kahnle, Robertson, Betances, & Chapman on the back end.
    I actually agree. I'm happy going into the season with the rotation as is. I don't like this 6 man nonsense or sending Jordy down. I'm just saying if they wanted Darvish, they should have waited on signing CC. I'm guessing they didn't think Darvish's asking would ever drop this low.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why we are interested in a pitcher with a high of 13 wins in a season, doing so in a league where he only pitches to 8 man line-ups, and who will cost a ton on top of it?

What am I missing?
    Well, for one thing, he has spent his career in the AL, except for the end of last season after being traded by the Rangers to the Dodgers. For another, the Yankees, like other teams, evaluate pitchers by other parameters than wins.

I am skeptical of Darvish being a good investment over a four or five year contract, 9 figure contract. But I would bet on him improving the Yankee rotation in 2018.

Thread Information