+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Yeah, not sure how adding Darvish guarantees the Cubs anything. The Dodgers should still be the top team in the NL. Then you have the Nationals, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Cardinals, and Brewers who should be competing for the playoffs along with the Cubs.

The Cubs' farm is also pretty barren, so their ability to upgrade their team through trades will be limited going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Why? Do you live in Chi? I root most against the Red Sox because of where I am still living.

Anyway, trading Arrieta for Darvish hardly ensures the Cubs anything. The Astros are the best team on paper, and the games are not played on paper anyway. There are many teams who could win next year, regardless of where Darvish signs, including of course our team.
    Yep, I live in the Chicago Bridgeport neighborhood. So I'm one of these insecure southsiders. I actually like most of the players on the Cubs, but I just cannot get along with their fans.

NYYF Legend

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 16s17 seconds ago
    #Phillies checking in with Darvish and most of high-profile free agents, sources tell The Athletic. Idea is to assess respective markets to see if deal makes sense. Unlikely Phils would be high bidder, but if player fell into their range - preferably short-term - they might jump.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

I feel like Darvish would make us favorites for the division.

Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    I feel like Darvish would make us favorites for the division.
    According to Vegas, we already are. In fact, the latest odds have have us as the favorites to win the World Series.

https://sports.bovada.lv/baseball/ml...s-market-group

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    According to Vegas, we already are. In fact, the latest odds have have us as the favorites to win the World Series.

https://sports.bovada.lv/baseball/ml...s-market-group
    Kind of hard to believe Yankees are the favorites over the Astros.

Betting odds factor in how much a team's fans wants to bet on them, so NY is probably too high. I would put HOU as the favorites currently, with NY in a group right behind them including CLE, LAD, WAS, and CHC, although with so many FAs still left to find homes, it's all pretty premature.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Kind of hard to believe Yankees are the favorites over the Astros.
    Not really. The Vegas odds are set as much on where they think the money will come in on as much as they think who will actually win.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Sox pen is flukey. They have one relief ace and a bunch of other mid-tier guys who don't miss bats. Not buying them as a top five group again.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=13,d

NYYF Legend

Olney on with Kay says Darvish is the next domino to fall, and that he feels it's down to three teams: Cubs, Brewers, and Twins. Says that executives have said he thinks it will be a 5 year deal, with the winner maybe getting it done by going to 6. Thinks the Cubs have the best odds, and that the Yankees aren't in on it because of the contract length for a pitcher that old.

NYYF Legend

If someone gets Darvish for 5/100m. I think you can make a pretty good case CCs signing was a mistake.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    If someone gets Darvish for 5/100m. I think you can make a pretty good case CCs signing was a mistake.

Why's that? If they're out due to contract length, then the CC signing is irrelevant no?

You can also make the case that Tanaka was really smart not to have opted out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    It is looking that way.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Not sure about that. Assuming his medicals are OK, his deal would be comparable to Darvish if not more due to being 2 years younger. That would have beat his current 3/67m deal.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Heíll get more than 100M. He wouldnít be close to signing if offers werenít already north of that.

NYYF Legend

I agree with Olney that I'd be pretty surprised if the Yankees were in at 5 years, period. I think they were kicking the tires on a four year deal in a stalled market, potentially front loaded to further encourage a shorter commitment, but that's just my opinion.

I would be in at 5/20per - But I think they are more likely waiting for the fallout at this point. If Yu gets 5/20 - then Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn are getting 4 or 5 at no more than 16 per. I could see them after a Lynn at 4/60.

NYYF Legend

Not sure about that. Assuming his medicals are OK, his deal would be comparable to Darvish if not more due to being 2 years younger. That would have beat his current 3/67m deal.
    However, Tanaka would have been a qualified FA (assuming those were the terms of his option).

I really do feel it makes the most sense for the Yankees to wait until the trade deadline to get a starter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaeagan View Post
    I would be in at 5/20per - But I think they are more likely waiting for the fallout at this point. If Yu gets 5/20 - then Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn are getting 4 or 5 at no more than 16 per. I could see them after a Lynn at 4/60.
    It'd have to be less than that, I think. Lynn would cost them 4/60, then their 2nd & 5th round draft picks, the corresponding draft pool money, and $1 million in IFA pool money as the cherry on top.

NYYF Legend

It's not as big of a deal if the signing team wasn't over the luxury tax. They'd only lose their 3rd best pick.
    Thatís a good point. Itís also a good reminder that when the Yanks sign Harper or Machado next offseason, theyíll only lose their 3rd round pick. Muhuhahaha

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Thatís a good point. Itís also a good reminder that when the Yanks sign Harper or Machado next offseason, theyíll only lose their 3rd round pick. Muhuhahaha
    Here are the caveats:

• If the team signing a qualified FA paid the luxury tax in the preceding season, it will lose its second AND fifth-highest picks in the draft (regardless of round), as well as $1M of its international bonus pool in the upcoming period. Ouch.
    • If the team signing a qualified FA did not pay the luxury tax, but does contribute to revenue sharing (i.e. larger market teams with more reasonable payrolls), it would lose its second highest pick in the draft and $500K of itís upcoming international bonus pool.
    • If the team signing a qualified FA did not pay the luxury tax and also received revenue sharing money last season, it loses ONLY its third-highest pick in the draft.
    http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/1...eta-and-davis/
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Do we really want Darvish?? He is 31 with very unspectacular stats and likely to demand a contract containing salary terms beyond his value and a length we don't want to agree to. I'd rather go for a younger starter with more promise.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Yeah guys, I mean he hasnít won more than 10 GAMES since his rookie season... pretty unspectacular, if you ask me
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information