+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Calls a tool a tool

Re: MLB free agency: Yankees targeting Yu Darvish

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    What difference would a front-loaded contract make when itís average annual value is used to compute the payroll for luxury tax purposes?
    It would encourage him to opt out after 1 year, which would enable us to pursue Keuchel or Kershaw.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanuphtr24 View Post
    After paying yu 18M, they'd be 26 under? Something about that math seems off...
    That's before the benefits (13M), 40 man roster and in season moves. It would leave them about 9M for in season by trading Betances

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    You are incorrect. As it stands now, Yanks have a payroll of about $175M committed to 2018.

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/01/yan...ayroll-164320/

Assuming Darvish takes a $20M AAV, which I highly doubt, it would bring us to $195M which leaves very little wiggle room for in season moves.

No matter how you look at it you'll have to trade 2 of Ellsbury, Gardner, Drob, or Warren to make Darvish work.
    That is with everything already factored in. The Yankees have 19M of SPENDING money to work with.

I can see Darvish signing with the Twins.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I can see Darvish signing with the Twins.
    Very possible

NYYF Legend

Curveball has been a GREAT pitch for Yu. He needs to throw it more, and throw less fastballs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.asp...ion=P#advanced
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Hmmm... Here's a question.. mega IF Yankees were to sign Darvish... would u attach a strong SP prospect (Acevedo, Adams, etc) just to get someone to eat half of Ellsbury deal?. Basically buying a prospect while adding an OF for 3/30. Would any team jump?.

You would have Montgomery as the 6th guy and IMO both Sheffield and Abreu are better bets...

Just spitballin
    I'd put Acevedo or Adams in a package to get rid of Ellsbury without signing Darvish. Heck, I'd even throw in the extra Hess truck I bought this Christmas.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Curveball has been a GREAT pitch for Yu. He needs to throw it more, and throw less fastballs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.asp...ion=P#advanced
    He would be SO good as a Yankee. They'd get him under 50% FB and he'd take off.

I'd really like this to happen.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Very possible
    If itís about the best offer then I can see the Twins overpaying to secure him.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    I would sign Darvish rather than trade for Cole. Cole is gonna cost around $18-20 mil over 2 years. So about $9 or $10 mil per year.

Darvish is gonna cost I don't know, around $80 mil over 4 years. So $20 mil per year. Maybe $25 mil.

So Darvish is gonna cost $10 to $15 mil more AAV, but it takes a 2-3 year longer commitment. Of course, you would want to tie Cole down as well. But say $25 mil more over 2 years.

So what would it cost prospect wise? Sounds like a lot.

But what is a prospect worth? I can only assume that since an average player gets paid $10 mil or more, that an average player is probably worth around $10 mil per year. So lets just assume Frazier is an average player. The Yanks have 6 years of control left. So is he worth $50-$60 mil? I would say so. Maybe more if he pans out and becomes more than an average player. Hell, Brett Gardner is avg and made $13 mil. Headley the same.

How bout Chance Adams? Another player who can project to be at least average. So is that another $50 mil in valuel? I think even if he is in the pen, based on the prices this offseason, he is worth $50 mil. Hell, Jake McGee got $9 mil per. What if Adams is a starter? Worth $20 mil per?

It is crazy in my mind to trade a pitcher that has not pitched in the majors, but is on the cusp. Because the unproven part decreases the value substantially.

Look at Montgomery and Adams. Who would you project going forward is gonna be better?

Well I would obviously say Montgomery because he has proven it over 4 months. Well, why would you trade Adams without giving him those 4 months. Well, unless you are sure he will fail. But when you look at the two, Adams is by far the higher rated prospect.

This post is a little abstract, so I'll try to wrap it up. If you sign Darvish, you still have bullets in the chamber. You can still go get Machado or some other top tier player.

If you trade for Cole, you give up some of your best bullets and even then you are not sure you are getting an ace. And even then only for 2 years. Hell the pirates wanted Torres, that is absurd. Torres could be worth $100 to $150 million over 7 years (including his peak years)? I guess I would subtract his arbitration numbers. But 2 years of Cole is probably worth $30 mil, but I guess could be worth $60 mil if he blossoms. Darvish is probably worth what you'd pay him $40-$50 mil over two years.

If there was a true ace out there (which you can almost count on your hands) then you push all your chips in. Kershaw is probably worth $50 mil. They are that valuable. But for Cole? I just don't see it unless the price is right.

I think if you trade a prospect, it should be a lower level prospect that has a long way to go to reach the majors.

Am I overstating the value of a high level prospect?
    I dont think you can evaluate a trade or prospects in a trade that way. I think you would have to assess how much WAR you are receiving in getting Cole, and how much WAR you are potentially losing in trading the prospects. Presumably that will be a net positive. Then you figure net dollars on what you now have to pay for Cole minus what you are saving over the course of the six years that you would have paid the prospects had you not done the trade. So now you can figure out what you are paying for 1 unit of war in this trade. If that number is close to what 1 unit of WAR goes for on the FA market, then it would seem to be a fair trade. Of course there are other considerations. For example, how much of a premium do the Yankees have to pay to get that WAR now (in Cole), rather than having to wait 3-4 years (by holding onto prospects).

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    If it’s about the best offer then I can see the Twins overpaying to secure him.
    So many articles I've read about Darvish this winter keep bringing up how he wants to get back to the World Series, redeem himself for last October's implosion and win a championship.

I have a tough time believing that he honestly feels he can do that with the Twins.

I believe Darvish will sign with the Cubs or Yankees, and if the Cubs re-sign Arrieta, I'm convinced Yu Darvish will be a Yankee.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    He would be SO good as a Yankee. They'd get him under 50% FB and he'd take off.

I'd really like this to happen.
    Yeah. Agreed. I'm on board under 100m. His slider and curve are straight DOMINANT.

I'm fully confident in the Yankees ability to suss all this out, but I'm going to do it anyway...

His best season in the majors was in 2013. Not surprisingly, he only threw his fastball 38.2% that season, far less than any other (normally 50%+). It's not good health wise to throw a slider 30% of the time as he did that year, but if you go 25% slider, and 10-15% curve. You can throw your fastball closer to 40%.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=P#pitchtype

EDIT: Darvish has thrown 900 curveballs in his career, and batters have a wRC+ 3 against that pitch.

Also, he stopped throwing his splitter as well, which was a very good pitch for him. Don't know why.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by NWChief2 View Post
    I'd put Acevedo or Adams in a package to get rid of Ellsbury without signing Darvish. Heck, I'd even throw in the extra Hess truck I bought this Christmas.
    I wouldn't.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

NYYF Legend

And that's before getting into the filth of his slider:

He would beast as a Yankee with their coaching philosophy.

NYYF Legend

Toe
    Calmer than you are

I was very happy to learn that Cashman had Andujar off the table in the Cole negotiations. That suggests they think he is worth getting the third base chance this year. So they really do not need to commit any money to the IF. I was also happy to see Frazier not traded, as I think the guy could be exciting, for whatever amateur opinion is worth.

With no need in the IF, they have a chunk of $ to use and that can be augmented by trading something out of the relief corps, or in my view preferably, trading Gardner. I think the latter is being over valued by management. I do not see many Gardner tee shirts around the Stadium. He is not a hero or fading super star like Jeter was the last couple of years when he hurt the team's performance, while helping to sell tickets. Frazier needs at bats and he will not be able to get them with Gardner planted in LF.

Just do it, Cashman. It seems so obvious to me. Darvish could be a difference maker in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    So many articles I've read about Darvish this winter keep bringing up how he wants to get back to the World Series, redeem himself for last October's implosion and win a championship.

I have a tough time believing that he honestly feels he can do that with the Twins.

I believe Darvish will sign with the Cubs or Yankees, and if the Cubs re-sign Arrieta, I'm convinced Yu Darvish will be a Yankee.
    I could see the Cubs signing both and offering opt-outs after the first and/or second year of the deal

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I was very happy to learn that Cashman had Andujar off the table in the Cole negotiations. That suggests they think he is worth getting the third base chance this year. So they really do not need to commit any money to the IF. I was also happy to see Frazier not traded, as I think the guy could be exciting, for whatever amateur opinion is worth.

With no need in the IF, they have a chunk of $ to use and that can be augmented by trading something out of the relief corps, or in my view preferably, trading Gardner. I think the latter is being over valued by management. I do not see many Gardner tee shirts around the Stadium. He is not a hero or fading super star like Jeter was the last couple of years when he hurt the team's performance, while helping to sell tickets. Frazier needs at bats and he will not be able to get them with Gardner planted in LF.

Just do it, Cashman. It seems so obvious to me. Darvish could be a difference maker in the rotation.
    Astros rotation if Cole returns to form could be beastly. We need to sign Darvish.

NYYF Legend

If the Yankees sign Darvish, and MLB implements a pitch clock, they might be the team MOST affected by these changes.

Pickles (#1), Darvish (#2), & Tanaka (#4) in time between pitches last season.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Given that the Yankees want to stay below the cap and that Gardiner is a valuable member of our team, can anyone tell me why we need a seemingly mediocre pitcher like Darvish?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Given that the Yankees want to stay below the cap and that Gardiner is a valuable member of our team, can anyone tell me why we need a seemingly mediocre pitcher like Darvish?

Andy
    He's not mediocre.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Donít even bother... Darvish is mediocre, just like Aaron Hicks sucks
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

"mediocre"

Yikes.

Thread Information