+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: St 2018

  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    St 2018

    Anyone planning to go to ST this spring. I have booked flights and a hotel and have tichets for 3 Phillies Games (we're staying in Clearwater) and 4 Yankees Games for the period of 3/16-3/24.


    I can't wait . Between Ft Lauderdale and Tampa and since the mid 1980's we've been to ST over two dozen times.


    I especially love to see the young and upcoming stars.


    A few years ago we even went to Arizona and saw all 15 teams in all ten parks over a period of 11 days. No park was more than 30 minutes from our hotel.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: St 2018

    I've been spending too much time on my job (cataloging early printed books, often on religious topics). I read the topic title as "Saint 2018" and was wondering where he fit in on the church calendar.
    Last edited by -tz; 12-18-17 at 02:49 AM.

  3. #3
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I've been spending too much time on my job (cataloging early printed book, often on religious topics). I read the topic title as "Saint 2018" and was wondering where he fit in on the church calendar.
    I think he fits in sometime next year.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: St 2018

    He must be the patron saint of procrastinators ... to be replaced after January 1 by St 2019!

  5. #5
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    He must be the patron saint of procrastinators ... to be replaced after January 1 by St 2019!
    The iconography makes him easy to recognize: he has a TV and an iPad, but never a watch.

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Anyone planning to go to ST this spring. I have booked flights and a hotel and have tichets for 3 Phillies Games (we're staying in Clearwater) and 4 Yankees Games for the period of 3/16-3/24.
    GF and I going to Florida March 6-11. Have tix to Yankees at Braves in Kissimmee on 3/9. Yanks have home games vs. Phillies on 3/8 and Mets on 3/10, we'd like to hit both of those, does anyone know when the tickets go on sale? Probably will end up chasing the secondary market but would like to take a crack at regular sales if possible ... going to be a tough ticket next spring I sort of have a hunch

  7. #7
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    GF and I going to Florida March 6-11. Have tix to Yankees at Braves in Kissimmee on 3/9. Yanks have home games vs. Phillies on 3/8 and Mets on 3/10, we'd like to hit both of those, does anyone know when the tickets go on sale? Probably will end up chasing the secondary market but would like to take a crack at regular sales if possible ... going to be a tough ticket next spring I sort of have a hunch
    I wish I had never learned the correct pronunciation of "Kissimmee." Before I did, I thought the greatest team name of all time belonged to the Kissimmee Astros.

    As it stand, I guess the title reverts to the old Macon Whoopee of the CHL.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    GF and I going to Florida March 6-11. Have tix to Yankees at Braves in Kissimmee on 3/9. Yanks have home games vs. Phillies on 3/8 and Mets on 3/10, we'd like to hit both of those, does anyone know when the tickets go on sale? Probably will end up chasing the secondary market but would like to take a crack at regular sales if possible ... going to be a tough ticket next spring I sort of have a hunch


    Individual tickets for Yankee Spring Training games usually go on sale in early Jan (usually around the 5th of Jan), but exact has not been announced yet. Your best bet is to get them from Ticketmaster as close to ten AM when they go on sale as possible.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wish I had never learned the correct pronunciation of "Kissimmee." Before I did, I thought the greatest team name of all time belonged to the Kissimmee Astros.

    As it stand, I guess the title reverts to the old Macon Whoopee of the CHL.


    The correct pronunciation in Italian is Kiss-a-me.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  10. #10
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The correct pronunciation in Italian is Kiss-a-me.


    Andy
    I always assumed that's how the city's name was pronounced. Unfortunately, it's Kis-SIM-me.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I always assumed that's how the city's name was pronounced. Unfortunately, it's Kis-SIM-me.


    I know that you are correct but I'll stick with my explanation.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  12. #12
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jim Beam

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Anyone planning to go to ST this spring. I have booked flights and a hotel and have tichets for 3 Phillies Games (we're staying in Clearwater) and 4 Yankees Games for the period of 3/16-3/24.


    I can't wait . Between Ft Lauderdale and Tampa and since the mid 1980's we've been to ST over two dozen times.


    I especially love to see the young and upcoming stars.


    A few years ago we even went to Arizona and saw all 15 teams in all ten parks over a period of 11 days. No park was more than 30 minutes from our hotel.


    Andy
    I have never been to ST in Florida but am going out to Arizona for my 5th time. It is great that all of the ballparks are close (less than an hour) to the hotels. Have tickets to Angels vs Cubs (looking to seeing Ohtani), and 2 other games. Great opportunity to see the young kids and get a few autographs to boot.

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Individual tickets for Yankee Spring Training games usually go on sale in early Jan (usually around the 5th of Jan), but exact has not been announced yet. Your best bet is to get them from Ticketmaster as close to ten AM when they go on sale as possible.


    Andy
    Merci beaucoups

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wish I had never learned the correct pronunciation of "Kissimmee." Before I did, I thought the greatest team name of all time belonged to the Kissimmee Astros.

    As it stand, I guess the title reverts to the old Macon Whoopee of the CHL.
    Georgia does some surprisingly good things with names. For a brief time, the Savannah team in the Sally League had a co-mascot who was a low-pressure flush toilet named Les Waters. The "contest" to name him also yielded entries Big Bad John and Flush Gordon.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wish I had never learned the correct pronunciation of "Kissimmee." Before I did, I thought the greatest team name of all time belonged to the Kissimmee Astros.

    As it stand, I guess the title reverts to the old Macon Whoopee of the CHL.
    Enjoy the new Tampa name.

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Enjoy the new Tampa name.
    Oh my, I just found out about this. That's a broadcasting blooper waiting to happen.

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Oh my, I just found out about this. That's a broadcasting blooper waiting to happen.
    I had to look it up ... the Tampa Yankees are now the Tampa ... Tarpons?

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/busi...e-name-change/

    For those unaware, a tarpon is a large, tropical fish known for its feistiness.
    Kissimmee Tarpons might have worked, but as HellowNewman says, disaster is almost guaranteed with that combination.

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Kissimmee Tarpons might have worked, but as HellowNewman says, disaster is almost guaranteed with that combination.
    Reminds me of Harry Von Zell introducing Herbert Hoover as "Hoobert Heever." This isn't going to end well.

    Unfortunately Kissimmee Tarpons wouldn't really work either. Kissimmee is landlocked.

  18. #18
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Enjoy the new Tampa name.
    I didnít know it, either. Thatís hilarious.

  19. #19

    Re: St 2018

    For the first time since 2003 I am not going. Makes me a little sad. But it's been a "girls" trip sans the family for me and since my son is graduating college this spring we decided to take a family spring break vacation to Belize instead since we don't know when/if we'll get another opportunity. A pretty nice consolation prize but I'll still miss spring baseball. Although there is still a tiny little thought in the back of my mind about shooting down to Tampa for a weekend toward the end of the month.

  20. #20

    Re: St 2018



    Awesome.

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    I have never been to ST in Florida but am going out to Arizona for my 5th time. It is great that all of the ballparks are close (less than an hour) to the hotels. Have tickets to Angels vs Cubs (looking to seeing Ohtani), and 2 other games. Great opportunity to see the young kids and get a few autographs to boot.
    Hey everyone needs to go to the Arizona camps at least once. It is tremendously enjoyable.


    But as a Yankee fan I need my Florida fix.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  22. #22
    NYYF HOF

    ruthianblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Francisco

    Re: St 2018

    Heading down with my two boys March 15, 16, 17. Can't wait. Nome, which games are you heading too?
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

    RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: St 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    Heading down with my two boys March 15, 16, 17. Can't wait. Nome, which games are you heading too?


    I'll be down March 17 through the 24th.


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  24. #24
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Jim Beam

    Re: St 2018

    ST tickets onsale on Tuesday Jan 9th

    12pm for Yankee season ticket holders
    2pm for Yankee universe

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts