+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Betances

Betances

What is his future here? Seems they lost confidence in him toward the end of the year, hasn't fulfilled.
    He could be part of a trade for an SP.
    Green and/or Kahnle could take hie role.

Re: Betances

Personally I would love to see him gone.

However, I recognize that this would probably be a "sell low" situation and therefore I'm OK with the Yankees holding onto him and trying to rehabilitate him. But honestly if he starts doing well and the Yankees trade him for something of value, I would not object at all.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I have been advocating the entire off-season to trade Betances.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

The time to trade Betances is now, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HughesIsNasty View Post
    The time to trade Betances is now, IMO.
    The time to trade Betances was last year, or the year before.

Now is the time to trade Green or Kahnle, because at least one of them will probably never be this good again. Sell high when you can actually sell high.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

Now is the time to trade Green or Kahnle, because at least one of them will probably never be this good again. Sell high when you can actually sell high.
    This. Coming off the worst year of a young player's career is not the time to trade him away. If a team will overpay for him and give us full value, then sure pull the trigger. But I'd rather try to let him re-establish himself first.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    This. Coming off the worst year of a young player's career is not the time to trade him away. If a team will overpay for him and give us full value, then sure pull the trigger. But I'd rather try to let him re-establish himself first.
    Betances will be 30 in March.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Not now but later. With CC returning, emphasis on protecting other arms and the age of analytics, the pen will likely be used earlier and more frequently in situations so we have need for numbers there. . In the regular season where pressure is less and margins for errors greater, Bettances should once again flash his dominant ability raising his trade value to teams that need a closer. If Adams or another youngster prove to be reliable bridge to other relievers by trade deadline then I would be open to trading Bettances. because he proved to be unreliable in the postseason

Yeah, because it's always best to trade potential dominant relievers in the making because they might never be this good again.

Real smart...NOT

Betances problems are purely mechanical. Try to get that fixed this offeseason
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Not sure why you would trade Betances at this point. The Yankees, regardless of if they add Cole or Fulmer or whoever, will not have a top rotation. They will have an incredible lineup, and they'll have the deepest bullpen in the game.

This is a team trying to win a world series. I'm not sure why you would drop a player who is extremely talented and could help you win a world series for future prospects. Especially when his status is at an all-time low.

If he was making $15M and hurting the Yankees chances of adding something because of his financial commitment, I would understand. It doesn't make sense to just trade a guy because he started having a few fixable issues.

Would hate to lose Betances this year unless it was for something of NOW value.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Betances problems are purely mechanical. Try to get that fixed this offeseason
    Perhaps the new Pitching Coach can help.

What?

Oh.

Nevermind.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

What?

Oh.

Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Yeah, because it's always best to trade potential dominant relievers in the making because they might never be this good again.

Real smart...NOT
    Depends on whether you can get something else that you need. But the time to sell high is when value is high - and when they might be helpful.

NYYF Legend

Depends on whether you can get something else that you need. But the time to sell high is when value is high - and when they might be helpful.

Unless they are a key ingredient to your chances to win the WS which I believe Betances is.

Our bullpen is the best in the majors. Why make it less so?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

The guy had one bad year. He's still not going to be terribly expensive. Let him bounce back and prosper. I think he's going to really, really good this season.

I think NY needs to start testing some of the younger arms to put more bullpen guys in place long-term, Robertson and Warren are both FAs after 2018. I don't have strong feelings either way about Betances, but once the FA reliever market dries up, if you can get someone who values him like the guy he's been most of his career, I pull the trigger.

Years of control:

Warren-1
    Betances-2
    Green-5
    Kahnle-3
    Robertson-1
    Chapman-4

So you build around Green/Kahnle/Chapman long-term, you definitely don't move Robertson IMO because he is awesome, and you start to rotate in guys like Heller and German and maybe Acevedo and maybe Cody Carroll to try to get another piece or two in place long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    The guy had one bad year. He's still not going to be terribly expensive. Let him bounce back and prosper. I think he's going to really, really good this season.
    Yup.

Not surprising, though. Unfortunately, too many people have this "what have you done for me lately?" mentality.

It's like they've forgotten the dominant seasons Betances has had.

Calls a tool a tool

The guy cant throw strikes. How can you bring him into a 1 run game. Walks the first guy. Then the automatic stolen base. The opposing team is basically starting with a runner in scoring position and no outs.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    He did have just a bad year (really just a bad second half) but this was the third straight year where he finished really badly at a time where the Yankees were pushing for some sort of a playoff run. That plus the fact that he's gonna be 30 and probably a goner in FA anyways after the whole arbitration fiasco would lend credence to the idea of moving him before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

What?

Oh.

Nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Lmao right. Also the conspiracy theories surround that guy are scary
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

This is simple, you keep him and let him pitch. How he performs will determine what role he has in a deep bullpen. Its a nice luxury to have one of the most dominant relievers in baseball and not need to regularly rely on him for key innings if he doesn't have it. I expect Boone to be more quick to change roles when something is not working. Girardi up until the playoffs was very slow to change reliever roles. Betances is a guy you have to be ready to bring into a situation knowing the risk of walk is very high. When he's not walking multiple batters though he's striking everyone out.

Now if someone comes asking for Betances as a key piece in a deal for a top-line starter or really good infielder you're obviously going to listen, but right now the only calls we'd get for him are teams hoping to buy-low. Trading him now would almost be like how the Reds traded Chapman a few months too early and got crap prospects while the Yankees were able to get Torres+.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The guy cant throw strikes. How can you bring him into a 1 run game. Walks the first guy. Then the automatic stolen base. The opposing team is basically starting with a runner in scoring position and no outs.
    For 3 years he was lights out...This isn't some random talent who is all tools and no production. We know he can do the job, so its worth trying to fix him for ourselves.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Keep him and fix him. I felt like he went wonky during the month stretch where he was used only 4 times by girardi. Betances himself says that he needs work to keep his form.

Lack of use led to bad habits and bad form. Fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    For 3 years he was lights out...This isn't some random talent who is all tools and no production. We know he can do the job, so its worth trying to fix him for ourselves.

When right, he is one of the most unhittable pitchers in baseball. With that said, if he nets us good value we have enough bullpen to be still one of the top pens without him.

Thread Information