+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Yankees re-sign CC

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Good to have CC back. But with his age/knee history I have to believe Cashman is looking for another SP.
    Same.

I kinda feel underwhelmed by the pitching staff though I know it was pretty strong last year.

NYYF Legend

I think Sabathia has the opportunity to make more than the $10M base. I haven't seen the particulars anywhere but I'm pretty sure there's some IP tiers to reach.

I also read somewhere that the Pirates are looking for a ML ready SP. If they'll agree to take Frazier instead of demanding Torres, I would think they'll value Montgomery over Chance Adams. A package headed by Frazier and Montgomery might bring back Cole and Josh Harrison, who IMO can be the veteran IFer the Bombers need. The 30 yr old Harrison is signed for 2018 for about $10M and has team options for 2019 & 2020. He's a good piece to have for 2B & 3B as they wait for Torres & Andujar to gain more experience.

If I'm right, then what we're talking about is replacing Montgomery with Cole now that CC is signed. Adams can be the 6th starter when needed. I'm a Montgomery supporter but I'd give him up for Cole.

Frazier, Montgomery, Nick Solak and Giovanni Gallegos for Cole & Harrison? What say ye?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think Sabathia has the opportunity to make more than the $10M base. I haven't seen the particulars anywhere but I'm pretty sure there's some IP tiers to reach.

I also read somewhere that the Pirates are looking for a ML ready SP. If they'll agree to take Frazier instead of demanding Torres, I would think they'll value Montgomery over Chance Adams. A package headed by Frazier and Montgomery might bring back Cole and Josh Harrison, who IMO can be the veteran IFer the Bombers need. The 30 yr old Harrison is signed for 2018 for about $10M and has team options for 2019 & 2020. He's a good piece to have for 2B & 3B as they wait for Torres & Andujar to gain more experience.

If I'm right, then what we're talking about is replacing Montgomery with Cole now that CC is signed. Adams can be the 6th starter when needed. I'm a Montgomery supporter but I'd give him up for Cole.

Frazier, Montgomery, Nick Solak and Giovanni Gallegos for Cole & Harrison? What say ye?

There is no way I would include Montgomery for Cole. The guy has shown he can be a decent cheap starter in the major. Those are valuable especially with how harsh the penalties for going the cap are now. You need guys like Montgomery to balance out the expensive guys.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    There is no way I would include Montgomery for Cole.
    I guess the way I'm thinking is they wouldn't be giving up Montgomery for Cole-they'd be giving up Frazier & Montgomery for two pieces that give them a better chance at winning the division and reaching the WS.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I guess the way I'm thinking is they wouldn't be giving up Montgomery for Cole-they'd be giving up Frazier & Montgomery for two pieces that give them a better chance at winning the division and reaching the WS.
    The thing that is gonna bother me about Cole is that when he becomes a free agent, he will want to be paid like an Ace when he has not shown that ability. If I recall, this guy is a Boras client.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

The thing that is gonna bother me about Cole is that when he becomes a free agent, he will want to be paid like an Ace when he has not shown that ability. If I recall, this guy is a Boras client.
    You're willing to walk away from a deal that improves the team's chances to win a championship in 2018 and beyond for what may or may not happen 2 years from now?

You're willing to walk away from a deal that improves the team's chances to win a championship in 2018 and beyond for what may or may not happen 2 years from now?
    If we were trading guys in the minors without touching the major league roster, then I could agree, but I don't want to touch anyone on the major league roster. Especially guys who are cheap and shown they can be at least league average.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

If we were trading guys in the minors without touching the major league roster, then I could agree, but I don't want to touch anyone on the major league roster. Especially guys who are cheap and shown they can be at least league average.
    What I'm hearing you say is you think the emphasis should be more on keeping payroll down at the expense of improving the chances of winning a title, even though the organization will be re-setting the payroll tax in 2018?

NYYF Legend

C C Made $25 mil last year. He signed this year for a base of $10 mil. Does anyone know if, and how much incentives might have been included?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

No.

What I'm hearing you say is you think the emphasis should be more on keeping payroll down at the expense of improving the chances of winning a title, even though the organization will be re-setting the payroll tax in 2018?

What I am saying is that there should be a balance between payroll and going all out and winning a championship. Montgomery helps us keep that balance for the next few years. You can give up prospects for Cole who you don't think have a long term future with the Yankees.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Devoted Member

Put me in the minority that would have passed on re-signing CC. Too much chance of injury, too much chance of decline, would rather keep the rotation spot open for Montgomery or another young pitcher, and would rather spend the $10M elsewhere. I think we squeezed as much out of CC's career as can be expected.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 51 View Post
    This thread should be titled "The Hunt for CC Sabathia"

Everyone spaces out and obviously mislabels things from time-to-time, please correct and edit.

Thanks.
    What bothers me about the "Hunt for..." thread titles is they leave out the essential redundant "Thread" at the end of the title. How will anyone ever know it is a thread title?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

What I am saying is that there should be a balance between payroll and going all out and winning a championship. Montgomery helps us keep that balance for the next few years. You can give up prospects for Cole who you don't think have a long term future with the Yankees.
    We may have a six man rotation during regular season then revert to four starters come playoffs. Severino, Gray, Tanaka makes the so the argument is there for another 2-3 . Having said that, I rather keep Montgomery .You do have to get to playoffs first and Montgomery has proven to be competent starter if not an ace . I like having a young lefty with a healthy arm, my feeling is that we should pursue a Cobb in fa rather than give up a present starter for Cole

Registered Account Donnybaseball72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    What bothers me about the "Hunt for..." thread titles is they leave out the essential redundant "Thread" at the end of the title. How will anyone ever know it is a thread title?
    It also reeks of entitlement by fans with SNT syndrome. Trading for the NL MVP isn't good enough. Must have more toys!

NYYF Legend

"the hunt for" is tiring
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    Put me in the minority that would have passed on re-signing CC. Too much chance of injury, too much chance of decline, would rather keep the rotation spot open for Montgomery or another young pitcher, and would rather spend the $10M elsewhere. I think we squeezed as much out of CC's career as can be expected.

You can say the same thing about Tanaka with respect to injury. C C has learned to pitch. He seems to have learned how to take care of his Knee. At $10 mil he is a bargain especially considering his performance ( 5 straight wins) at the end of last year.
    We are pitching weak and CC provides some added benefit. I doubt if you can find a better use for the Yankees $10 mil

Andy

I wouldn't say anything close to pitching weak. There's no way Tanaka is as bad as he was overall last year, we will have Gray for a full season as well. SP is solid enough to bare minimum go into the season with

NYYF Legend

We're growing as a community.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    I wouldn't say anything close to pitching weak. There's no way Tanaka is as bad as he was overall last year, we will have Gray for a full season as well. SP is solid enough to bare minimum go into the season with

I agree, but Tanaka's arm is a time bomb, and even with CC's leg issues he is cheap insurance. Where can you get another Pitcher with CC's ability for $10 Mil?

Andy

NYYF Legend

I for one, do not know.

Im glad CC is coming back. I saw where he met with the Angels but honestly thought he would be back at much less than he was making previously. Now we can let the kids develop and hopefully not make a dumb trade.
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

NYYF Triple Crown

This is starting to remind me of the NY Giants’ run. They had a proven leader who rallied everyone (Strahan) and with the Yankees it’s CC. You have Judge who’s welcoming Stanton with open arms. One step for team chemistry right there. They could make a serious run to the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    This is starting to remind me of the NY Giants’ run. They had a proven leader who rallied everyone (Strahan) and with the Yankees it’s CC. You have Judge who’s welcoming Stanton with open arms. One step for team chemistry right there. They could make a serious run to the World Series.
    Lets hope Boone isnt Ben McAdoo.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Lets hope Boone isnt Ben McAdoo.
    Forgot about him. The wildcard. But he did pull a David Tyree catch of his own years before.

Thread Information