+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 75 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast

2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

I hope it's not premature to start this

Solid article with some background about his life and such:
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...s_to_know.html

Also:
    Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton is called Mike by his father, Cruz by his mother and Mikey by a lot of relatives. He went by Giancarlo when starting elementary school, switched to Mike in the fifth grade and then went back to Giancarlo in 2012.
    "The man of a million names," Stanton told reporters in February 2012. “I respond to many names. It's all good."

The grade-school change from Giancarlo to Mike occurred because he was tired of teachers and classmates saying his name wrong.
    "No one could pronounce it right," he said. "Everyone thought it was two words. Gene-carlo, Juan-carlo, Gionne-carlo. You have seven periods in school, so seven times a day, 'No, that's not the name.' (Mike) was just easier. If you can't pronounce that, then there's something wrong with you."
    Stanton switched back to Giancarlo when reporting to spring training in 2012, his third big-league season, and he’s been Giancarlo ever since.
    Besides his multiple names, does he have any baseball nicknames that people know of?
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post

Also:

Besides his multiple names, does he have any baseball nicknames that people know of?
    [Insert Name] MF'ing Stanton?

NYYF Legend

Also:

BR lists his nickname as Bigfoot.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...tantmi03.shtml
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Still cannot believe he is a Yankee
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Bryan Hoch‏ @BryanHoch 58s58 seconds ago
    Stanton’s agent, Joel Wolfe, said that Stanton has no intention of opting out after 2020. “He wanted to be sure because this is it.”

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

so Sterling will be saying it is high it is far it is gone. A Bigfoot Blast!

Also:

Sir.

It appears that Boone slept in his suit.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    so Sterling will be saying it is high it is far it is gone. A Bigfoot Blast!
    That does not sound like Sterling at all. It will involve singing because "Stanton" sounds a little like "standin' " which shows up in many song lyrics.

Also:

Ringer called him TMGS (The Mighty Giancarlo Stanton); not necessarily a nickname, but I like that the most.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    That does not sound like Sterling at all. It will involve singing because "Stanton" sounds a little like "standin' " which shows up in many song lyrics.
    Gee, in carlo we trust! A Stanton ovation! Take a bow, Giancarlow!

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Gee, in carlo we trust! A Stanton ovation! Take a bow, Giancarlow!

Hahaha! Brilliant
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Hahaha! Brilliant
    Thank you, Sir.

NYYF Legend

It's going to be so, so corny.

"That ball is hit deep to left! It is high, it is far, it. is. GONE! STANTON HOME RUN'S FIVE MILES LONG, OH DOO-DAH DAY!

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    It's going to be so, so corny.

"That ball is hit deep to left! It is high, it is far, it. is. GONE! STANTON HOME RUN'S FIVE MILES LONG, OH DOO-DAH DAY!
    Haha!
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Reject Fascism

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/derek-...marlins-start/

Wow. Rough Sherman piece about Jeter and his handling of the Stanton trade. Evidently Stanton was told to either accept a trade to SF or St. Louis or stay in Miami. He called the bluff.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

If healthy I predict 39 homeruns next year with a .260 batting average. Adjusting to new league and new team.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/derek-...marlins-start/

Wow. Rough Sherman piece about Jeter and his handling of the Stanton trade. Evidently Stanton was told to either accept a trade to SF or St. Louis or stay in Miami. He called the bluff.
    Tex was rough on Jeter too about the handling of Stanton as well. Kind of seemed maybe Stanton just played hardball afterthe way he was (not) treated after the transition.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

I'm going to be blunt: Jeter has proven himself to be a world-class hypocrite when it comes to the way he deals with people now that he's in a position of power.

When he was a player, he was uber-sensitive about being treated with respect. Couldn't find it in him to forgive A-Rod when he felt slighted in an interview. Continues to hold a grudge against the Yankees because Cashman told him to test the free agent market when Jeter expected to be paid like a superstar even when he was a shell of what he used to be.

Yet, when it came to Andre Dawson, Tony Perez and Jeff Conine, he fired them through a 3rd party - didn't even have the courage to do it himself. Then, he tried to hire them back at a fraction of their previous salaries - again, without even communicating with them directly. He fired a scout who was in the hospital recovering from cancer. He told the world he was going to trade Stanton, yet not once did he feel the need to treat Stanton with respect and discuss the matter with him before going public.

He's getting a lot of flak right now and quite frankly, he deserves all of it.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Jeter is the new DiMaggio.

NYYF Legend

Being a new dad causes a lot of stress and sleep deprivation... both can lead to poor decision making... Trust me I’ve been there

Jeter is just adjusting to parenthood
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Watched some of the press conference. Got some bad vibes. I know his numbers are eye popping, but I don’t see this ending well. Has nothing to do with money, by the way. I just caught a whiff of a really crappy attitude from Stanton. There’s a huge contrast between him and Judge in that department. I hope I’m wrong.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Watched some of the press conference. Got some bad vibes. I know his numbers are eye popping, but I don’t see this ending well. Has nothing to do with money, by the way. I just caught a whiff of a really crappy attitude from Stanton. There’s a huge contrast between him and Judge in that department. I hope I’m wrong.
    I'd be interested if you could elaborate a bit. I didn't pick up on an attitude. I think he was maybe a bit too honest and maybe we're not used to that. The Marlins tried to strong arm him and he was rightfully pissed.

I actually liked when he said he looks forward to learning and getting better with judge and the rest of the guys. It was in great contrast to ohtanis answer which was very self centered.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    He was asked some pretty pointed questions about his Miami experience and by some butthurt journalist from St Louis. I found it refreshing he said what he felt, and it seemed to send Miami into the spin cycle. No, he’s not as polished with the media but I thought he handled it well. He said the “right” things when it came to NY. I am sure they will work woth him on it.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Miami jerked him around for 8 years, terrible amateurish organization and I thought he was nicer than he could have been today.

The moment I thought was most revealing for NY fans was when he was asked where he expected to play next year and he instantly said something like “wherever they want me to.” He probably has more of an ego than Judge, but so does pretty much everyone.

Thread Information