+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23 63 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1874
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    This was likely a career year for hicks. Hicks will never produce the way Stanton has. Down year for Stanton compared to what heís done in the past
    Stantonís numbers this year were in line with his career numbers. 2017 was likely the outlier.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Stanton’s numbers this year were in line with his career numbers. 2017 was likely the outlier.
    Hold up, you referred to WRC+. stanton has 3 years of a 150 or better WRC+ and 1 over 160

Hicks will never ever come close to that.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Hicks in the leadoff spot is fine. FWIW Stanton hit well over 300 out of the cleanup spot this year. I forget the exact number
    Yea but he was abysmal with runners on/in scoring position. Who wants a cleanup hitter that canít cleanup? Numbers based on a spot in the lineup are kind of irrelevant, situational stats are more telling especially when there is a career trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    And none of those moves help to address the need to improve overall team OBP.
    Harper does.

Furthermore, you're not getting Bellinger for Stanton. What you can realistically expect to get is a couple of good prospects and salary relief that will allow you to sign Bryce Harper.
    That'd be just fine. Sign Harper AND Manny.

Designated for Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    That'd be just fine. Sign Harper AND Manny.
    Wishful thinking but not realistic, I have to believe that it will be one or the other at best, plus pitching.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Stantonís numbers this year were in line with his career numbers. 2017 was likely the outlier.
    Not even close. A difference of 62 OPS points is not in line with his career numbers. He was significantly worse than his career average.

I think everyone knows that the last years of Stanton's contract are going to be bad. If he helps the Yanks get a few rings before then it is worth the price. I also think it is fair to say that after watching Stanton for a season and not just his highlight clips with the Marlins many of us are kind of stunned at how bad many of his at bats are. What we saw this season will be close to his norm going forward. He is not going to magically change. He'll have good end of season numbers and be a good clubhouse guy but will have long stretches during the season where he disappears. Given his streakiness the playoffs will be hit or miss. And we had the miss against Boston.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Not even close. A difference of 62 OPS points is not in line with his career numbers. He was significantly worse than his career average.
    Career: .268/.358/.548 43 HRs (avg per season)
    2018: .266/.343/.509 38 HRs
    2017: .281/.376/.631 59 HRs

So his OBP and SLG were down a little bit this year but more in line with his career numbers than his 2017 season. 2017 was likely the outlier.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think everyone knows that the last years of Stanton's contract are going to be bad. If he helps the Yanks get a few rings before then it is worth the price. I also think it is fair to say that after watching Stanton for a season and not just his highlight clips with the Marlins many of us are kind of stunned at how bad many of his at bats are. What we saw this season will be close to his norm going forward. He is not going to magically change. He'll have good end of season numbers and be a good clubhouse guy but will have long stretches during the season where he disappears. Given his streakiness the playoffs will be hit or miss. And we had the miss against Boston.
    Hal Steinbrenner stated that he didn't regret obtaining Stanton and he expects him to improve next season. I think Gian will garner more than one World Series ring as a Yankee which is more than be said about A-Rod.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

He definitely had a down year, but he wasn't awful. He was still a very good player. He was honestly worth about what he got paid by us- $25M. Plus we got rid of Castro and the roughly $13M liability associated with him that gives us about zero value added (because he isn't better than andujar, torres or DiDi).

Keep in mind, this was his first time seeing virtually every starter and reliever. He'll be fine.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Career: .268/.358/.548 43 HRs (avg per season)
    2018: .266/.343/.509 38 HRs
    2017: .281/.376/.631 59 HRs

So his OBP and SLG were down a little bit this year but more in line with his career numbers than his 2017 season. 2017 was likely the outlier.

stanton always seems to have a down year in terms of slugging after a very good year.. that means next year will be a much better year for him...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    stanton always seems to have a down year in terms of slugging after a very good year.. that means next year will be a much better year for him...
    Being that NYC is a pressure cooker environment; him switching from NL to AL pitching; expectations as a Yankee are much more than as a Marlin; the media exposure is daily; and a new ball park; Stanton WILL have a better season in 2019. For an average player, 38 HRs and 100 RBIs are phenomenal, but Gian is not an average player.

If they have any hint that another team is slightly interested in taking Stanton off our hands, we need to get it done. Add some prospects to the deal. Ask for a bag of balls in return. Stantons contract is the worst contract in baseball. 9 years and $241m left.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    If they have any hint that another team is slightly interested in taking Stanton off our hands, we need to get it done. Add some prospects to the deal. Ask for a bag of balls in return. Stantons contract is the worst contract in baseball. 9 years and $241m left.
    Can you stop it, please? The only number that matters is 22 million, which is the only number that really matters to the Yankees and other big teams. Virtually the same number as Ellsbury has counting against the luxury tax for the next 2 years. I'm thinking Stanton is fine.

Add some prospects to the deal. That's rich.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I'm thinking Stanton is fine.
    Nah. Too many flaws in his approach at the plate.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Nah. Too many flaws in his approach at the plate.
    Oh, he's got adjustments to make, no question about that. But he's always changing things. I see no reason why he won't continue making adjustments and get back to being an elite hitter again. He made adjustments this year from the crazily exaggerated closed stance he was using in the beginning of the year to the closed one he finished with.

Oh, he's got adjustments to make, no question about that. But he's always changing things. I see no reason why he won't continue making adjustments and get back to being an elite hitter again. He made adjustments this year from the crazily exaggerated closed stance he was using in the beginning of the year to the closed one he finished with.
    I consider him to be a demolisher of mistakes, however not even close to being an elite hitter.

I consider him to be a demolisher of mistakes, however not even close to being an elite hitter.
    Must be a lot of mistake pitches being thrown to him because the numbers he's put up so far say that he is elite.

Must be a lot of mistake pitches being thrown to him because the numbers he's put up so far say that he is elite.
    Oh, there are.

Here's Stanton in his career with two strikes: .162/.239/.324
    Here's Stanton in his career with zero strikes: .409/.513/.849

That to me is indicative of a hitter that destroys mistakes left up in the zone, early in the count.

Check out his splits. Not sure I'd call him elite, regardless of how many home runs he hits.

Oh, there are.

That to me is indicative of a hitter that destroys mistakes left up in the zone, early in the count.

Check out his splits. Not sure I'd call him elite, regardless of how many home runs he hits.
    Sooo.... his stats with no strikes are better than his stats with two strikes? I would think this is pretty normal for most hitters.

JD Martinez career with two strikes: .182/.251/.313
    JD Martinez career with zero strikes: .427/.473/.838

Oh, there are.

What? That's indicative of every batter out there. Every single batter is going to have much, much better numbers with zero strikes than with two strikes.

Not sure what you think you've found, but it's not it. He's elite because his overall numbers are elite; the fact that he hits a lot of homers helps quite a bit.

Designated for Assignment

Oh, there are.

In all fairness, that's kind of a normal split for most power hitters in those respective counts, so that's really not a good indicator at all. For example, look at these guys:

Aaron Judge:
    Career with two strikes: .185/.301/.376
    Career with zero strikes: .438/.543/.932

JD Martinez:
    Career with two strikes: .182/.251/.313
    Career with zero strikes: .427/.473/.838

Manny Machado:
    Career with two strikes: .210/.271/.350
    Career with zero strikes: .344/.396/.600

Bryce Harper:
    Career with two strikes: .192/.289/.343
    Career with zero strikes: .392/.498/.754
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

OK you got me with the lazy approach.

Check out his batter ahead v pitcher ahead #s.

But first, we must define who is actually elite.

Altuve? Trout? Betts?

Altuve (ahead): .349/.491/.553
    Altuve (behind): .278/.286/.353

Trout (ahead): .354/.577/.694
    Trout (behind): .250/.262/.432

Betts (ahead): .338/.498/.632
    Betts (behind): .259/.261/.402

Stanton (ahead): .334/.527/.696
    Stanton (behind): .192/.197/.377

NYYF Legend

^ youíre comparing Stanton to 3 of the players with the best hit tool in the majors. Batting champions.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    ^ youíre comparing Stanton to 3 of the players with the best hit tool in the majors. Batting champions.
    I'm comparing him to elite hitters.

Thread Information