+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1874
  1. #1326
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Dude never hits a big hr. All he does is pad his stats...

  2. #1327

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    73 RBI here at the beginning of August.

  3. #1328

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Dude never hits a big hr. All he does is pad his stats...

    the last 2 nights he hit big home runs. plus he got plenty of big hr this season...

  4. #1329

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    I'm assuming that's sarcastic because the board basically swings around from loving a player to hating him in two pages. Poor Greg Bird!

  5. #1330

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    A Grandcarlo Slam!

    Too much? Ok I will stop now

  6. #1331
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    So do we still want to get rid of this guy?

    Booooooooooooooooooooooo ... remember?

  7. #1332
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    the last 2 nights he hit big home runs. plus he got plenty of big hr this season...
    note when i posted it...


  8. #1333

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateChief View Post
    I'm assuming that's sarcastic because the board basically swings around from loving a player to hating him in two pages. Poor Greg Bird!
    Yes. Bird is a good example. Nothing wrong with this guy that a little patience wonít cure. He has always hit when healthy. They probably brought him back too soon after surgery in May. He needed something more extended than a few games, more like a few weeks. Once he hit his stride, he was actually hitting really well until his recent slump over the past 10 days or so. The real question with him is whether he can stay healthy, not whether he can hit. But fans have turned on him and want to dump him, assuming that some speculated replacement will be a steady contributor and will never go into slumps. Last year any fan would have drooled at the thought of getting Stanton. Now heís not clutch, inconsistent, overpaid. Yada, yada, yada.

  9. #1334

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    73 RBI here at the beginning of August.
    OK Is that really that great? On pace for 104 for the season.

  10. #1335

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Yes. Bird is a good example. Nothing wrong with this guy that a little patience wonít cure. He has always hit when healthy. They probably brought him back too soon after surgery in May. He needed something more extended than a few games, more like a few weeks. Once he hit his stride, he was actually hitting really well until his recent slump over the past 10 days or so. The real question with him is whether he can stay healthy, not whether he can hit. But fans have turned on him and want to dump him, assuming that some speculated replacement will be a steady contributor and will never go into slumps. Last year any fan would have drooled at the thought of getting Stanton. Now heís not clutch, inconsistent, overpaid. Yada, yada, yada.
    Greg Bird does not have a very good track record and certainly not a long one at all of being a good player.

    There is no comparison between him and Stanton in any way.

  11. #1336

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    OK Is that really that great? On pace for 104 for the season.
    Good for 5th in the AL.

  12. #1337
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    OK Is that really that great? On pace for 104 for the season.
    No. He's got a wRC+ 78 with RISP this season. That's a big part of the problem.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  13. #1338
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Yes. Bird is a good example. Nothing wrong with this guy that a little patience wonít cure. He has always hit when healthy. They probably brought him back too soon after surgery in May. He needed something more extended than a few games, more like a few weeks. Once he hit his stride, he was actually hitting really well until his recent slump over the past 10 days or so. The real question with him is whether he can stay healthy, not whether he can hit. But fans have turned on him and want to dump him, assuming that some speculated replacement will be a steady contributor and will never go into slumps. Last year any fan would have drooled at the thought of getting Stanton. Now heís not clutch, inconsistent, overpaid. Yada, yada, yada.
    It should be noted that he showed a very similar pattern last year when he returned from his surgery. He started out hot, then cooled, then hot and finished cool - the shined in the playoffs. He seems like a very streaky hitter to me.

    I like Greg Bird - I want to see him get every chance, but at the same time I recognize that he seems to tease us more than he shuts us up.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  14. #1339

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    It should be noted that he showed a very similar pattern last year when he returned from his surgery. He started out hot, then cooled, then hot and finished cool - the shined in the playoffs. He seems like a very streaky hitter to me.

    I like Greg Bird - I want to see him get every chance, but at the same time I recognize that he seems to tease us more than he shuts us up.
    Itís very rare to find a hitter who isnít streaky. Thatís just baseball, Suzyn.

  15. #1340

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Itís very rare to find a hitter who isnít streaky. Thatís just baseball, Suzyn.
    His hot streaks tend to have a much shorter shelf life than his cold streaks.

  16. #1341

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    No. He's got a wRC+ 78 with RISP this season. That's a big part of the problem.
    You can prove whatever you want about Bird with negative stats this year. There are plenty of them.

    With 20/20 hindsight itís clear that after missing 2 full months, Bird wasnít ready to hit major league pitching and that the Yankees brought him back to soon. It took him a month to get going, which is the equivalent of a spring training. For the next month, he was the old Bird, putting up a .900+ OPS. Heís been in a slump for the past 10 days, which happens over the course of a baseball season.

  17. #1342
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    You can prove whatever you want about Bird with negative stats this year. There are plenty of them.

    With 20/20 hindsight itís clear that after missing 2 full months, Bird wasnít ready to hit major league pitching and that the Yankees brought him back to soon. It took him a month to get going, which is the equivalent of a spring training. For the next month, he was the old Bird, putting up a .900+ OPS. Heís been in a slump for the past 10 days, which happens over the course of a baseball season.
    Did you forget what thread you are in?
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  18. #1343

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Did you forget what thread you are in?
    I guess I did. Thanks for snapping me back to reality.

  19. #1344
    Go back to Cali, Cali, Cali ArodEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Dude never hits a big hr. All he does is pad his stats...

    Let's see how many more times you come into this thread with that same sarcasm. I'm hoping a lot, but I won't hold my breath based on what he's done with RISP thus far this season.

  20. #1345
    Member
    Murcer and Munson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Williston,Vt.

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Heís heating up!🔥🔥🔥
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

  21. #1346

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Not counting today (1 for 3 with the hardest hit HR in Statcast's history), he's been hitting a cool .296/.354/.549 with a snazzy 139 wRC+ since May 1st.

  22. #1347
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Good start to replicating his 2017 August.

    He also hit into basically two double plays, his groundball problem is real.
    Last edited by ClownPickle; 08-09-18 at 11:47 PM.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  23. #1348
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Let's see how many more times you come into this thread with that same sarcasm. I'm hoping a lot, but I won't hold my breath based on what he's done with RISP thus far this season.
    don't hold your breath, it's bad for your health.

  24. #1349
    Go back to Cali, Cali, Cali ArodEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    don't hold your breath, it's bad for your health.
    Thanks for the tip. In the meantime Iíll look forward to your posts every time he hits a homer.

  25. #1350
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Not counting today (1 for 3 with the hardest hit HR in Statcast's history), he's been hitting a cool .296/.354/.549 with a snazzy 139 wRC+ since May 1st.
    It amazes me that Stanton can generate that much power - on many of his HRs, he looks to me to be completely off balance and hitting only with his arms.

    Take his next to last HR - the one that barely got to the RF foul pole. It appears he drops his back knee in his swing, is off balance, and only really swings with his arms. Maybe that drop his back knee is intended to generate loft to the ball, but if I tried to hit like that, I wouldn't be able to get any power on the struck ball.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts