+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 75 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I just realized I wrote his stance was more closed, when I meant to say it was LESS closed in that post.
    Yeah, I think most of us figured that's what you meant. Can't really get more closed without him basically turning his back to the pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    May 13th - June 8th (vs righties):

57 PAs. BB 5.3%

.275 BA .333 OBP .549 SLG .882 OPS

wRC+ 136
    Looking more like his career numbers.

NYYF Legend

I'm still marveling at the HR he hit in the 13th two days ago. The camera man behind the plate didn't even have to pan up to catch a 416 ft home run - you can see in the replay that the ball "beat" him to the landing so spot because it was such an unusual combination of velocity and launch angle. I don't know that I've ever seen such a vicious line drive home run.

The 15.044 degree launch angle is the second lowest in baseball on a home run this year so far, and the 119.3 MPH exit velocity is almost 8 full MPH faster than the lowest home run launch angle seen this season: a 111.6 MPH shot hit at 14.861 degrees by Mikael Franco.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I'm still marveling at the HR he hit in the 13th two days ago. The camera man behind the plate didn't even have to pan up to catch a 416 ft home run - you can see in the replay that the ball "beat" him to the landing so spot because it was such an unusual combination of velocity and launch angle. I don't know that I've ever seen such a vicious line drive home run.

The 15.044 degree launch angle is the second lowest in baseball on a home run this year so far, and the 119.3 MPH exit velocity is almost 8 full MPH faster than the lowest home run launch angle seen this season: a 111.6 MPH shot hit at 14.861 degrees by Mikael Franco.
    Yeah, kinda reminded me of Gary Sheffield doubles that would seem to rip a hole through spacetime and get to the left center field wall immediately. But this one was probably hit harder.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yeah, kinda reminded me of Gary Sheffield doubles that would seem to rip a hole through spacetime and get to the left center field wall immediately. But this one was probably hit harder.
    That's what it made me think of, too...except this was a 400 ft home run instead of a rope to the wall. It's literally the same concept as the most savage linedrive hitters ever, but on a different level due to never before seen exit velocity.

To preemptively answer a question that might arise from that statement: I personally believe that Stanton and Judge are the first baseball players ever to consistently post exit velocities in the teens, and touching the 120 MPH mark. The fact that they're two of the largest and most muscular players in the history of the game, have both posted historical power statistics, are playing in an era where equipment and training are both incredibly refined, and already show a substantial gap between them and the rest of the league in exit velo, leads me to believe that nobody else in the history of the game has hit the ball as quantifiably hard.

That's what it made me think of, too...except this was a 400 ft home run instead of a rope to the wall. It's literally the same concept as the most savage linedrive hitters ever, but on a different level due to never before seen exit velocity.

To preemptively answer a question that might arise from that statement: I personally believe that Stanton and Judge are the first baseball players ever to consistently post exit velocities in the teens, and touching the 120 MPH mark. The fact that they're two of the largest and most muscular players in the history of the game, have both posted historical power statistics, are playing in an era where equipment and training are both incredibly refined, and already show a substantial gap between them and the rest of the league in exit velo, leads me to believe that nobody else in the history of the game has hit the ball as quantifiably hard.
    You may be right. The other name that comes to mind is Dave Winfield. Probably not as consistently as Judge or Stanton, but dude hit some frozen rope line drive HR. Even as a young fan when he was in his prime, I remember him hitting some low liners that seemed to still not have peaked when they smashed into the stands.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You may be right. The other name that comes to mind is Dave Winfield. Probably not as consistently as Judge or Stanton, but dude hit some frozen rope line drive HR. Even as a young fan when he was in his prime, I remember him hitting some low liners that seemed to still not have peaked when they smashed into the stands.
    He was literally the only person that popped into my head when I was contemplating it - that coil and savage explosion from a guy that big was devastating to the baseball, but I think he would still lag waaaay behind in the technology/training aspects. I mean, to me Winfield is essentially Judge without the modernization.

For the sake of clarity (not to you), I'm not arguing who could have posted these exit velocities if given the benefits of the current era, but more simply if anyone actually has before. I just cannot see how it is possible when you look at the results Stanton and Judge have put up in comparison to their peers.

He was literally the only person that popped into my head when I was contemplating it - that coil and savage explosion from a guy that big was devastating to the baseball, but I think he would still lag waaaay behind in the technology/training aspects. I mean, to me Winfield is essentially Judge without the modernization.

For the sake of clarity (not to you), I'm not arguing who could have posted these exit velocities if given the benefits of the current era, but more simply if anyone actually has before. I just cannot see how it is possible when you look at the results Stanton and Judge have put up in comparison to their peers.
    I know; I was actually supporting your point (or attempting to) by saying that even a guy like Winfield, known for his savage treatment of baseballs when he got into them, almost certainly didn't do it with the consistency that Stanton and Judge do. I've never personally seen a player abuse the ball as routinely as these two do. Not by a long shot.

NYYF Legend

Speaking of Winnie, I wonder what his stance was like when hitting those frozen ropes...

I legitimately had no memory of him being so closed. Good to see in light of what we've questioned in this thread - there is apparently precedent on some level from a similar hitter.

He back

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    He back
    Smacked deGrom in his first AB, too, just got unlucky. I hope this is the egress from normalcy.

...Lookin good...
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Giancarlo is once again starting to hit them farlo.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I wish he was just a TINY bit more patient.

In the first AB the 5th pitch was a ball and then he rung up on a bad call.

The 2nd AB was great and he took a couple close pitches. If he did more of that, he's going to annihilate pitchers.

NYYF Legend

Looks good for a bit, then goes back to old habits. Very underwhelming. 9 more years.

wRC+ 115. Matching Aaron Hicks.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I think people are over analysing. Some players need to take longer to adjust. His track record is too good for me to be worried about his contract.

A-Rod joined the Yankees at the time he had just won MVP with four straight 150 wRC+ seasons. His first season at the Yankees was not as good and I still remembered many people wrote him off at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I think people are over analysing. Some players need to take longer to adjust. His track record is too good for me to be worried about his contract.

A-Rod joined the Yankees at the time he had just won MVP with four straight 150 wRC+ seasons. His first season at the Yankees was not as good and I still remembered many people wrote him off at that time.

stanton is hitting 279 on the road with his 0-4 last night he must be hitting close to 200 at home.. that is a concern

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    stanton is hitting 279 on the road with his 0-4 last night he must be hitting close to 200 at home.. that is a concern
    Is there a stat somewhere we can see with how many lefties he has faced on the road vs. Home?

Is his dramatic home/road split tied into his rhp/lhp split?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Looks good for a bit, then goes back to old habits. Very underwhelming. 9 more years.

wRC+ 115. Matching Aaron Hicks.
    I thought the same thing watching him last night. There seemed to be a lot more "noise" with his feet and he looked stiff with his upper body again.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

He may be letting too many good pitches go by. A typical Stanton at bat is take 2 fastballs down the middle and swing 0-2 at a slider low and away. Makes no sense. Jump on the first fastball you see. Stop giving away strikes.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    He may be letting too many good pitches go by. A typical Stanton at bat is take 2 fastballs down the middle and swing 0-2 at a slider low and away. Makes no sense. Jump on the first fastball you see. Stop giving away strikes.
    This. I cringe at how many pitches he leaves over the plate.
    Last edited by ThePinStripes; 06-13-18 at 03:19 PM.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Speaking of Winnie, I wonder what his stance was like when hitting those frozen ropes...

I legitimately had no memory of him being so closed. Good to see in light of what we've questioned in this thread - there is apparently precedent on some level from a similar hitter.
    If the back foot was back by another 2 feet this would maybe look like Stanton.

I haven't seen a single batting stance so far EVER with a hitter putting his back foot that far from the plate. He still generates a lot of power when he connects with the ball, but it produces a might big hole.

His hot streaks so far to me have looked more like a combination of lefties being easier for him to hit and lucky streaks with righties where they don't attack the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post

well last night bases loaded 2-0 count fastball down middle of plate he fouled it back...he guessed fastball got it in a good spot and missed it....

Pretty much the same WAR as the 2018 version of Aaron Hicks. Aaron Plucking Hicks.

Huge disappointment thus far. He and Sanchez.

Thread Information