+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40 47 48 49 50
Results 1,226 to 1,243 of 1243

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    You clearly have blinders on and think April doesnít count. Stanton has not been as good this year as he has for his entire career. Thatís a fact. He has been a good, productive player, but nowhere near the MVP candidate we thought we were getting. I expect him to have an MVP caliber second half, but he hasnít had an MVP caliber first half. Iím sorry you canít comprehend simple stats.

I don't think it is a matter of people not understanding that April counts, but more of a case that if you look at his stats since April, we are now seeing the player from last year or at least a decent replica of that. It also may tell us that going forward we are more likely looking at getting the better version.

You cannot throw April away in the season statistics, of course. They are there forever. But it is clear right now that is not the player we have..

I also think that we must be careful not to expect a career year every year. Last year was insane for him, even at his standards. But if when the curtain goes down on 2018 we see a .270 hitter with 40+ bombs and 100+ RBI, then I will not be dissapointed.. That's a fine season even for him..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Giancarlo Stanton:

Apr: .230/.313/.425/.737
    May: .264/.330/.516/.847
    Jun: .289/.373/.577/.950
    Jul: .342/.390/.658/1.048
    Across the board improvement, month over month.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Giancarlo Stanton:

Apr: .230/.313/.425/.737
    May: .264/.330/.516/.847
    Jun: .289/.373/.577/.950
    Jul: .342/.390/.658/1.048
    Stop trying to kill the narrative that he has been a disappointment!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    Stop trying to kill the narrative that he has been a disappointment!
    Dude give it a rest. People with the expectations of him being a top 5 player have every right to say he's been a disappointment THUS FAR. With that said, he's heating up and should carry the team for a good stretch this season.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Dude give it a rest. People with the expectations of him being a top 5 player have every right to say he's been a disappointment THUS FAR. With that said, he's heating up and should carry the team for a good stretch this season.
    After being knocked for being "dense" for having the temarity to point out the some people had unrealistic expectations among other things, I am not going to let it go.

The guy will be among the leaders in offensive categories by the end of the season. People just need to learn to have patience.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't think it is a matter of people not understanding that April counts, but more of a case that if you look at his stats since April, we are now seeing the player from last year or at least a decent replica of that. It also may tell us that going forward we are more likely looking at getting the better version.

You cannot throw April away in the season statistics, of course. They are there forever. But it is clear right now that is not the player we have..

I also think that we must be careful not to expect a career year every year. Last year was insane for him, even at his standards. But if when the curtain goes down on 2018 we see a .270 hitter with 40+ bombs and 100+ RBI, then I will not be dissapointed.. That's a fine season even for him..
    And I believe that anyone who expected more than this set the bar up way too high.

NYYF Legend

After being knocked for being "dense" for having the temarity to point out the some people had unrealistic expectations among other things, I am not going to let it go.

The guy will be among the leaders in offensive categories by the end of the season. People just need to learn to have patience.
    i think we're on the same page in terms of stanton and how he'll look at the end of the season, but you've gotta realize convince people to change their opinions around here is a fruitless endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    i think we're on the same page in terms of stanton and how he'll look at the end of the season, but you've gotta realize convince people to change their opinions around here is a fruitless endeavor.
    Oh I am aware, but if reason cannot bring them around than perhaps a bit of indirect mockery can.

Oh I am aware, but if reason cannot bring them around than perhaps a bit of indirect mockery can.
    Youíre not mocking anyone. Stanton was disappointing COLLECTIVELY over his first 3 months here. Thatís a fact and says nothing about 1 individual month nor is it any indication of how he will hit from this point on.

Youíre not mocking anyone. Stanton was disappointing COLLECTIVELY over his first 3 months here. Thatís a fact and says nothing about 1 individual month nor is it any indication of how he will hit from this point on.
    He had an awful April, but he's been fine since then.

NYYF Legend

"It's all right. I've been an All-Star before,Ē Giancarlo Stanton said. ďI think I'll survive."
    https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status...269002753?s=19

Really like how he handles the media.

Guy has an OPS of .866 now.

Get off it. If you're disappointed than you're just not reasonable.

When it comes to Stanton or any other player, the only thing that we should all care about is what we can expect going forward. What's done is done.

This is why there's good reason to consider discounting April when trying to project Stanton's production going forward. It's not unreasonable at all to project based on his performance since May 1. That doesn't mean anyone is "forgetting" April.

And by the way I would say the same thing about Didi whose story is, unfortunately, the complete opposite. I don't see what his torrid April necessarily has to do with what we can expect from him down the stretch, even though it does show us what he's capable of. The silver lining with Didi is that it's theoretically within his power to change his approach and start putting up respectable numbers again.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

An opposite field bomb off of the Indians closer. Keep it up

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    An opposite field bomb off of the Indians closer. Keep it up
    He only did that to spite Boone.

lol that's not even close to being true.

NYYF Legend

Career first half wRC+ - 137
    This season first half wRC+ - 133

Quote Originally Posted by LouisLitt View Post
    lol that's not even close to being true.
    There is no right or wrong it depends on what the expectations were. His overall ďnumbersĒ are good but I was expecting a top five player and he hasnít been that, heck he didnít make the All-Star game. So from that perspective (not being a top 5 player) Iím disappointed. Doesnít mean Iíll remain disappointed, he has 9.5 years to change my mind.

Thread Information