+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 72 73 74 75
Results 1,851 to 1,853 of 1853

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    “Maybe not bad but . . .”

What do you mean by “but . . .”? Using Stanton’s defensive value from WAR to measure how good a fielder he is, is an improper use of the stat. It’s a measure of value, not of fielding. It uses positional adjustment to arrive at defensive value. DH and LF have the two biggest negative positional adjustments, so of course his Def on WAR is going to be a negative number. But every measure of pure fielding rated him very high.
    Yea that was my point as well, when he played the OF Stanton was no worse than average by the eye test and the metrics say he was actually quite good especially playing LF.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    “Maybe not bad but . . .”

What do you mean by “but . . .”? Using Stanton’s defensive value from WAR to measure how good a fielder he is, is an improper use of the stat. It’s a measure of value, not of fielding. It uses positional adjustment to arrive at defensive value. DH and LF have the two biggest negative positional adjustments, so of course his Def on WAR is going to be a negative number. But every measure of pure fielding rated him very high.

Thank you for the reply. I am weak on defensive stats and use dWAR and just use it to compare players. (I will check Ortiz and JD on the DH point, more field stats, when he played for marlins). I use WAR, offensive WAR and defensive WAR. Like I know Andújar is not good and it shows up dWAR. As for Stanton, when he replaced Judge I was surprised how Stanton could not cover the ground that Judge did (range). (eye test) Maybe I watch too many games but seems Judge could get there and Stanton was couldn't. Judge had a better arm to second, too (does it take this into account?). At this point, I don't like Stanton as our regular OFer at this point and feel he is a liability and would prefer Clint in LF.

You are right about the DH and dWAR numbers. I was stunned (beyond surprised) seeing David Ortiz numbers.
    Last edited by bucky; Today at 10:30 AM. Reason: DH

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    He's never really going to cut down on SOs significantly and they're not going to hide him in the back of the lineup. His approach with runners in scoring position is terrible and its been a career long problem for him. Until he proves he can hit in those situations try to take him out of them. A SO to start the game is far less damaging than a strikeout with a runner on 2B and no one out.

In 2018:
    Bases Empty: .289, .367, .573 (wRC+ 154), 29.9% SO
    Men in Scoring: .241, .322, .373 (wRC+ 81), 29.9% SO

A .367 OBP with Bases Empty is actually tied for the team lead as Judge (.367) and Hicks (.346) are both better at getting on base with runners on whereas Stanton is worse.

Setting a lineup for Stanton to be the hero and drive in runs with men on is setting yourself up for failure. In a key situation you want Judge, Andujar, Hicks, or Torres at the plate maybe Voit if he can carry any of it over or Sanchez if he returns to form. Stanton's talented enough to play a key role in our success, he just shouldn't be "the guy" we have other players mainly Judge better suited to handle the big spots.

Also if we get a lefty role player that will hit 9th you may line up more situations for Stanton to face a lefty pitcher.
    Great points.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information