+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 72 73 74 75
Results 1,851 to 1,870 of 1870
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    “Maybe not bad but . . .”

What do you mean by “but . . .”? Using Stanton’s defensive value from WAR to measure how good a fielder he is, is an improper use of the stat. It’s a measure of value, not of fielding. It uses positional adjustment to arrive at defensive value. DH and LF have the two biggest negative positional adjustments, so of course his Def on WAR is going to be a negative number. But every measure of pure fielding rated him very high.

Thank you for the reply. I am weak on defensive stats and use dWAR and just use it to compare players. (I will check Ortiz and JD on the DH point, more field stats, when he played for marlins). I use WAR, offensive WAR and defensive WAR. Like I know Andķjar is not good and it shows up dWAR. As for Stanton, when he replaced Judge I was surprised how Stanton could not cover the ground that Judge did (range). (eye test) Maybe I watch too many games but seems Judge could get there and Stanton was couldn't. Judge had a better arm to second, too (does it take this into account?). At this point, I don't like Stanton as our regular OFer at this point and feel he is a liability and would prefer Clint in LF.

You are right about the DH and dWAR numbers. I was stunned (beyond surprised) seeing David Ortiz numbers.
    Last edited by bucky; 10-21-18 at 11:30 AM. Reason: DH

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    He's never really going to cut down on SOs significantly and they're not going to hide him in the back of the lineup. His approach with runners in scoring position is terrible and its been a career long problem for him. Until he proves he can hit in those situations try to take him out of them. A SO to start the game is far less damaging than a strikeout with a runner on 2B and no one out.

In 2018:
    Bases Empty: .289, .367, .573 (wRC+ 154), 29.9% SO
    Men in Scoring: .241, .322, .373 (wRC+ 81), 29.9% SO

A .367 OBP with Bases Empty is actually tied for the team lead as Judge (.367) and Hicks (.346) are both better at getting on base with runners on whereas Stanton is worse.

Setting a lineup for Stanton to be the hero and drive in runs with men on is setting yourself up for failure. In a key situation you want Judge, Andujar, Hicks, or Torres at the plate maybe Voit if he can carry any of it over or Sanchez if he returns to form. Stanton's talented enough to play a key role in our success, he just shouldn't be "the guy" we have other players mainly Judge better suited to handle the big spots.

Also if we get a lefty role player that will hit 9th you may line up more situations for Stanton to face a lefty pitcher.
    Great points.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

I'd like to see Stanton swing at more strikes. Would Stanton get more pitches "in the zone" to hit if Judge is always up next?

Maybe Stanton 3rd & Judge 4th - at least on a pretty regular basis. I think these guys need to feel some routineness about their roles on the team and their places in the lineup.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'd like to see Stanton swing at more strikes. Would Stanton get more pitches "in the zone" to hit if Judge is always up next?

Maybe Stanton 3rd & Judge 4th - at least on a pretty regular basis. I think these guys need to feel some routineness about their roles on the team and their places in the lineup.
    Maybe

He has to show he can lay off that breaking pitch first. Once he shows that, having Judge or Harper batting behind him makes walking Stanton a huge risk. So then yes he should see more fastballs
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

I think he has been a good Yankee teammate but if he can not improve his hitting he will hurt the team. I think hitting coaches have not been able to break him of the habit of swinging at low outside pitches or high inside fastballs!.....was this his weakness with the Marlins?🙁

If by some chance the Yankees do decide to trade Stanton to the Dodgers , I'd gladly take back one of their two catching prospects (Ruiz/Smith) and some sleeper pitching prospects as apart of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I think he has been a good Yankee teammate but if he can not improve his hitting he will hurt the team. I think hitting coaches have not been able to break him of the habit of swinging at low outside pitches or high inside fastballs!.....was this his weakness with the Marlins?��
    It seems to be a thing for many Yankee hitters in general. But I haven't seen it this consistent and glaring since Teixeira.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It seems to be a thing for many Yankee hitters in general. But I haven't seen it this consistent and glaring since Teixeira.
    I donít remember Tex as that bad, apart from a season mostly lost to injury and the last letís just get this over with yr. it reminds me a bit of Sorianoís utterly helpless ALCS and WS in 03 w something like 26 Ks. Judge has a slightly higher K rate than Stanton, but it feels a lot better as he seems to have so many more quality ABs and he also seems to get routinely squeezed more on low borderline pitches. Stanton just has too many terrible ABs where he seems just lost, not seeing spin and flailing away at junk way out of the zone on a consistent basis. His last AB in the ALDS was crushing. No idea if this is fixable but letís get Paul OíNeill to ST and give it a shot !!

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    I don’t remember Tex as that bad, apart from a season mostly lost to injury and the last let’s just get this over with yr. it reminds me a bit of Soriano’s utterly helpless ALCS and WS in 03 w something like 26 Ks. Judge has a slightly higher K rate than Stanton, but it feels a lot better as he seems to have so many more quality ABs and he also seems to get routinely squeezed more on low borderline pitches. Stanton just has too many terrible ABs where he seems just lost, not seeing spin and flailing away at junk way out of the zone on a consistent basis. His last AB in the ALDS was crushing. No idea if this is fixable but let’s get Paul O’Neill to ST and give it a shot !!
    I'm surprised you don't remember Tex flailing away when batting lefty at soft stuff down and away. It was like clockwork and got worse with time.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

I'm surprised you don't remember Tex flailing away when batting lefty at soft stuff down and away. It was like clockwork and got worse with time.
    Not at present Stantonian level until the last yr, when I had basically written him off. So maybe I was factoring in expectations as well.

Swinging futilely at the low and outside pitch goes back to Soriano, who turned it into a kind of appalling art.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Swinging futilely at the low and outside pitch goes back to Soriano, who turned it into a kind of appalling art.
    Especially his last season, he was swinging at pitches cricket players would have let go by
    #HarperWatch

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    That was so painful to watch.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Calls a tool a tool

A glorified Nick Swisher. Hammers mediocre and bad pitchers, but disappears in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    A glorified Nick Swisher. Hammers mediocre and bad pitchers, but disappeared in the postseason in 2018.
    There I fixed it. You wrote it as though disappearing in the postseason is now an immutable trait that will follow him for the rest of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    A glorified Nick Swisher. Hammers mediocre and bad pitchers, but disappears in the postseason.
    Stanton has had a whopping 5 postseason games in his career. SSS much?

An absolutely holy hell of a lot of pop-ups to short left field.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    An absolutely holy hell of a lot of pop-ups to short left field.
    Itís an out pitch. If he throws it for a strike, youíre pretty much in a bad spot either way. If he throws it for a ball, gotta lay-off, which he doesnít
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

Somebody buy this guy a 1st baseman's mitt for Christmas.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Calls a tool a tool

Take it as a prediction. And I predicted it about 3-4 months ago. Smoltz summed it up perfectly. Stanton is not a guy you pitch around in a big spot. He is someone you can pitch to. Unlike JDM.

Thread Information