+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 57 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Took Judge out clubbing after the dinner... they both prob got massive amounts of poo-hah
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/2/...rade-wait-what

Now the Yankees get to watch both. Their fans get to watch both of them! There will be innings where the “due up” chyron will include some combination of Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez, and it’s not fair. It’s absolutely not fair. And the Yankees are the absolute masters of taking not fair and spreading it on an English muffin before they lock eyes with you and eat it, savoring every bite like it’s the best taste they’ve ever experienced, which it is. No team’s engine runs on not fair like the Yankees.
    How are those English muffins tasting fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by H & T View Post
    https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/2/...rade-wait-what

How are those English muffins tasting fellas?
    More importantly, why did it take until feb 1, 2018 for him to write an article about it? Old news at that point.

the point of the article is to argue that the addition of Giancarlo hasn't gotten enough attention. the writer uses the trope of the double-take and deploys an absurdist sense of humor throughout
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Stanton looks like he could be Mariano's brolic cousin.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

I think Stanton is sort of an odd-looking dude. Bug eyes with no eye lashes.

NYYF Legend

https://www.fanragsports.com/yankees...-with-yankees/

According to sources, the Giants deal would have taken the full $295 million left on Stanton’s contract, the Cardinals would have included Sandy Alcantara (someone who saw all three deals said he thought the St. Louis offer was slightly better than the others), who they wound up getting as the prime piece in the Marlins’ later Marcell Ozuna trade, anyway.

The Yankees, hearing Stanton wasn’t quick to accept the Cardinals or Giants, as is his right, pounced. Stanton technically hadn’t told either St. Louis or San Francisco no, but as soon as the Yankees got involved and got wind of it, those other teams knew he was headed to the Bronx. Stanton is all about winning. He was frustrated beyond measure over his years in Miami, all those slight ups followed by some major downs with many soap operas mixed in, and he was relieved and thrilled to be coming to New York.

Stanton was exactly himself in a brief press conference after the workout, showing his muscles and modesty in equal doses (he wore a sleeveless shirt).

“It’s amazing. You’ve got All-Stars all over the place, future MVPs,” Stanton said of being here. “I’m just hoping to mesh with them.”

It was vintage Stanton on Day One. It was a day that was supposed to be all about him. But he made it about the team. That’s him. And he finally has the kind of team he has dreamed about forever.

NYYF Legend

Awesome article on Stanton's acquisition.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/03/20/gi...w-york-yankees

The only consistency was upheaval. That was why, even as the Marlins offered him the biggest contract in sports history after the 2014 season, he had stared down owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson and demanded a two-part insurance policy. It wasn’t in case disaster struck. “It was for the inevitable,” he says. One part was an opt-out clause, which he could trigger after 2020. The other was a full no-trade clause, so that, if their new promises didn’t come to fruition, they couldn’t just deal him somewhere he didn’t want to go, as they had so many of his teammates.
    As he stood on the beach on Dec. 7, his phone rang. It was his agent, Joel Wolfe.

“You’re not going to believe this, G, but we got a deal,” Wolfe said. “The Yankees.”

“Let’s do it,” Stanton said.

“You sure you don’t need a night to sleep on it?”

“If you want me to take a night, I’ll take a night,” Stanton said. “The answer’s going to be the same. Do it.”
    As for their positions, Stanton says, “Both of us prefer to play in right, but we also both prefer to help the team. My responsibility is to try to fit in, rather than try to come in and take over. That’s not my nature.”

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Awesome article on Stanton's acquisition.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/03/20/gi...w-york-yankees
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

NYYF Legend

That is truly an awesome article. Kudos to Judge also:

There was a third player, besides Stanton and Ohtani, who could have prevented Stanton’s arrival in New York. Although Aaron Judge had only just completed his rookie season with the Yankees, he was the team’s centerpiece, and now Cashman was on the verge of acquiring a player who not only possessed many of his same skills but also played the same position, rightfield. Judge was signing autographs at a hotel when Cashman called him on the morning of Dec. 8. “We have a deal in place to acquire Giancarlo Stanton,” Cashman told Judge. “That would mean that you might have to bounce around from rightfield to DH at times. Are you willing to do that?”

“If he was really against making any type of adjustment or sacrifice, or if it bothered him that any of this would be taking place, then it would probably have impacted my decision to move forward on it,” says Cashman. “He’d acquired enough capital here that I would have had to reassess things and maybe seen if Stanton would have been willing to be a pure DH at all times. We’re dealing with human beings, and buy-in, open-mindedness and willingness to adjust are important ingredients.”

Judge’s answer came without hesitation. “We have the chance to add the NL MVP to our team? Yeah, we gotta get that done,” he said. “I’m all in, Cash.”

Giovanny Urshela looks like like he could be his brother. Also Stanton sounds just like The Rock.

Let's Go Yankees!

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    Giovanny Urshela looks like like he could be his brother. Also Stanton sounds just like The Rock.

That's uncanny.

NYYF Legend

Over/Under: Judge OPS
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Over/Under: Judge OPS
    That's an awesome bet.

I feel like there's a decent chance it's not going to be all that close in the end...but I can't say who's going to be the one that wins. Stanton could stumble in totally new surroundings and Judge could have had his career year last season.

If they both click I think Judge wins out, but in the end I'd probably take Stanton's historical wRC+ track record plus moving to Yankee Stadium as a slightly safer bet than Judge's historical rookie season with plus-plus OBP skills.

I think Judge has a better year than he did last year (!), and I think Stanton's won't be as good, so I will go Judge.

I'll go with Abbey and pick Judge too.

Stanton's season-high in HRs was 39 before 2017. I would say 59 is the outlier, but then he's going to play pepper with the RF porch.

But it's going to fall more on what Judge does. The spring has made me bullish. On top of his recovery in September and into the postseason, it seems like he always has a plan and getting smarter as a hitter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    I'll go with Abbey and pick Judge too.

Stanton's season-high in HRs was 39 before 2017. I would say 59 is the outlier, but then he's going to play pepper with the RF porch.
    The question was OPS though, not HR.

Last year in his MVP season Stanton posted a 156 wRC+, which was actually only the 3rd best figure of his career despite the career high in HRs. Injury and his home park have been the only things limiting him from accumulating more gaudy HR totals. His rate production last season was not an anomaly in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    But it's going to fall more on what Judge does. The spring has made me bullish. On top of his recovery in September and into the postseason, it seems like he always has a plan and getting smarter as a hitter.
    I definitely agree with everyone that Judge's season has the clear higher ceiling due to his amazing OBP skills, and the fact that his wRC+ last year (173), even with the huge slump, crushes Stanton's career high (161). Picking Stanton to me is the safer bet, but the winner between the two is way more up to what Judge does in his sophomore season, like you said.

It's still unbelievable to me that we get to root for both in pinstripes for the foreseeable future.

I'm not worried about Stanton, he'll be fine

I'm going with Judge as well due to his stellar OBP skills(as stated by Snatch). I think they'll hit for equal-ish power, but Judge's eye and patience will help him post the higher OPS. Or Stanton posts a 700+ slugging with half his games at YS.

NYYF Legend

Hey you guys, this season should be fun with this dude. Just stay healthy...

NYYF Legend

#trueyankee
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

The best part about that first Yankee home run was the reaction to the pitch before it. Happ got a pitch low and out of the zone called strike one. Stanton made a face like, "really?"

Then he absolutely rocked the next pitch out to RCF with complete ease.

It was so beautiful.

NYYF Legend

Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch 5m5 minutes ago
    At 117.3 mph, Giancarlo Stanton's HR was the hardest to the opposite field ever tracked by @statcast.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post

This is Great

Thread Information