+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 27 28 29 30

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Don't let numbers get in the way of a narrative guys
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Katie Sharp tweets -

Giancarlo Stanton Thru 44 Games

2018: .263/.345/.526, 11 HR, .370 wOBA, 133 wRC+

2017: .269/.337/.526, 11 HR, .359 wOBA, 123 wRC+

A-Rod 1st 44 Games w/ Yankees:
    137 wRC+, 11 HR, 27 RBI, 31 R

Stanton 1st 44 Games w/ Yankees:
    133 wRC+, 11 HR, 27 RBI, 32 R

this looks great.
    however, 82 wRC+ against righties and 282 wRC+ against lefties. bonkers split

“Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Stanton will get his "numbers". But what he did last night in the first inning concerns me greatly. Man on third one out and infield playing back. A pitcher on the mound throwing 86-89 and pitching to contact. Stanton has to put the ball in play there, he cannot strikeout against Bartolo Colon in that spot. In the playoffs it's going to be Verlaner, Morton, Cole, kluber, Baur, Porcello,etc. his approach in big spots especially against righties worries me.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

That's his career though. He's always been a decent hitter against righties and a HOF hitter against lefties.
    vs RHP: .259/.348/.525/.873
    vs LHP: .300/.397/.652/1.049
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=b#all_plato
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    That's his career though. He's always been a decent hitter against righties and a HOF hitter against lefties.
    Part of the problem is I'm an old timer that grew up during an ERA in which contact was valued. I mean, man on third one out with the infield back and a soft throwing righty on the mound. Put the damn ball in play, Geez!!

NYYF Legend

As someone who hadn't watched Stanton all that much prior to the trade, I didn't realize he had such extreme splits. Maybe he can platoon with Harper next year.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Just to provide some perspective, that .873 translates to a career wRC+ against righties of 134.

That's better than what Gary Sanchez posted against all pitchers last year (130).

It's also better than what
    • Boggs (132)
    • Helton (132)
    • Gwynn (132)
    • Griffey Jr (131)
    • Olreud (130)
    • Palmiero (130)
    • Bernie (126)

posted for their entire careers. Obviously there's some down years in their for those guys as the career winds down, but the overall point is that a 134 wRC+ in isolation is still very, very good. Not quite seasonally elite, but absolutely All-Star level, and potentially HOF level if done over a long period of time.

On the flip side, the 1.049 career OPS against LHP translates to a wRC+ of 176. Three hitters are currently tied for 3rd on the all-time wRC+ leaderboard...at 173.
    • Gehrig
    • Hornsby
    • Bonds

The only hitters to post a career wRC+ better than 176 in baseball history are Ted Williams and Babe Ruth.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Just to provide some perspective, that .873 translates to a career wRC+ against righties of 134.

That's better than what Gary Sanchez posted against all pitchers last year (130).

It's also better than what
    • Boggs (132)
    • Helton (132)
    • Gwynn (132)
    • Griffey Jr (131)
    • Olreud (130)
    • Palmiero (130)
    • Bernie (126)

posted for their entire careers. Obviously there's some down years in their for those guys as the career winds down, but the overall point is that a 134 wRC+ in isolation is still very, very good. Not quite seasonally elite, but absolutely All-Star level, and potentially HOF level if done over a long period of time.

On the flip side, the 1.049 career OPS against LHP translates to a wRC+ of 176. Three hitters are currently tied for 3rd on the all-time wRC+ leaderboard...at 173.
    • Gehrig
    • Hornsby
    • Bonds

The only hitters to post a career wRC+ better than 176 in baseball history are Ted Williams and Babe Ruth.

This is wonderful, now please put the ball in play when needed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Stanton will get his "numbers". But what he did last night in the first inning concerns me greatly. Man on third one out and infield playing back. A pitcher on the mound throwing 86-89 and pitching to contact. Stanton has to put the ball in play there, he cannot strikeout against Bartolo Colon in that spot. In the playoffs it's going to be Verlaner, Morton, Cole, kluber, Baur, Porcello,etc. his approach in big spots especially against righties worries me.
    You’re not being fair to him. Later on in the game, score was 6-4 and he was facing a RHP with a man on third and less than two outs and he hit a sac fly on a 1-2 count. It was a much needed insurance run at the time.

You’re not being fair to him. Later on in the game, score was 6-4 and he was facing a RHP with a man on third and less than two outs and he hit a sac fly on a 1-2 count. It was a much needed insurance run at the time.
    Swing at a pitch in his first AB that bounced on the grass.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Swing at a pitch in his first AB that bounced on the grass.
    How is that relevant to what I posted?

How is that relevant to what I posted?
    He'll get his "numbers", but I'm not convinced he's a good fit for this team. I hope he has three MVP type seasons and opts out.

Just my hunch, but I feel that Stanton is the type that even if he does provide 3 MVP caliber type seasons in a row (best case for Yankees) he still won't opt out.
    His current contract makes him set for life anyway, and after 7+ seasons of futility in Miami maybe he'll take the guaranteed well paid 7 years of yearly contender seasons in New York over a possibility of getting a 10 year contract with a pretender.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Just my hunch, but I feel that Stanton is the type that even if he does provide 3 MVP caliber type seasons in a row (best case for Yankees) he still won't opt out.
    His current contract makes him set for life anyway, and after 7+ seasons of futility in Miami maybe he'll take the guaranteed well paid 7 years of yearly contender seasons in New York over a possibility of getting a 10 year contract with a pretender.
    That is supported by more than a hunch - his agent literally said this when he was traded in December.

NYYF Legend

That is supported by more than a hunch - his agent literally said this when he was traded in December.
    Yeah and agents never lie . If I had to bet right now, I'd say he doesn't opt out because in 2021 he'll be 31 with $176 million guaranteed through 2027, plus a club option in 2028. It's going to be tough to find a team willing to exceed that contract for a player in his 30's. But make no mistake about it -- if his agent has reason to believe that he can make more money, Stanton will opt out.

NYYF Legend

I was just saying that there was actual legitimate support for that opinion directly from Stanton's camp, no gut feelings necessary.

NYYF Legend

I was just saying that there was actual legitimate support for that opinion directly from Stanton's camp, no gut feelings necessary.
    Gotcha.

Thread Information