+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1877

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    The book on him is to throw him 95 + fastballs up in the strike zone. Like literally on upper limit of the zone. If he takes the pitch, it's a strike. So he ends up swinging at it and either fouls it off or misses it completely. Once you do that a couple of times, he's set up beautifully for that slider low and away which he usually just flails at.

I think for him to be successful, he needs to lay off those high strikes. Eventually, the pitcher would miss up in the zone and walk you, or he doesn't get it high enough and you crush it. He also needs to lay off sliders completely, unless it hangs.
    Surely, hitting coach Marcus Thames has access to the same information and he has been pounding that information into Gian's crainium for the past 165 games.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    It appears the book for pitchers who don't throw as hard is to do the same thing, except pitch him inside with the fastball (instead of up) , and go low and away with a breaking pitch. At least that's what I've seen so far this series and this season.
    thats an out pitch for anybody

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    thats an out pitch for anybody
    Unless you donít swing at it

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Unless you donít swing at it
    Well if itís a strike, then it doesnít matter, thatís the point

I want to preface this by saying I like Stanton and I'm not giving up on him. He's going to make us happy we got him.

But when he first got here, I remember saying that I thought his swing was ugly ... and we got into this whole thing about hitters who (like Stanton) don't remove their top hand, etc.

Watching him last night, I realized what I don't like about his swing. His bat stays basically horizontal no matter where the pitch is. If it's low, he doesn't drop the bat head and swing with an uppercut. He just takes that same horizontal hack and beats the ball into the ground, or fouls it off, or misses it entirely. Maybe it has something to do with his feet, but he also seems to have limited ability to extend his arms or pull his hands in when he needs to. His mechanics are so stiff -- if he squares up the ball he kills it, but his ability to adjust in real time to square up the ball seems very limited.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I want to preface this by saying I like Stanton and I'm not giving up on him. He's going to make us happy we got him.

But when he first got here, I remember saying that I thought his swing was ugly ... and we got into this whole thing about hitters who (like Stanton) don't remove their top hand, etc.

Watching him last night, I realized what I don't like about his swing. His bat stays basically horizontal no matter where the pitch is. If it's low, he doesn't drop the bat head and swing with an uppercut. He just takes that same horizontal hack and beats the ball into the ground, or fouls it off, or misses it entirely. Maybe it has something to do with his feet, but he also seems to have limited ability to extend his arms or pull his hands in when he needs to. His mechanics are so stiff -- if he squares up the ball he kills it, but his ability to adjust in real time to square up the ball seems very limited.
    I like him too. New league. New position. New city, playing in big games now. Hopefully this is what he is at his worst. Expecting him to be better next year

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That sounds right, as the swing does seem stiff and musclebound. I hadnít focused on the horizontal thing but, yeah, thatís what it looks like. The open stance probably doesnít help either. He might be perfectly poised to crush LHP or a mistake, but I would think it would make it harder to adjust to tough pitches, as youíre kind of off balance or not evenly balanced in any case. Plus, as OíNeill keeps saying on YES, it leaves him vulnerable to RHP as heís kinda locked up and peering over his left shoulder. Sounds like an off-season project.

Stanton is who he is, and after 9 years in the majors he's not going to completely reinvent his swing or magically discover how to lay off a slider away. He should do better next year after learning the AL pitchers and getting otherwise adjusted here. He's expensive and will likely kill us at the end of his contract, but if he's going to hit .270 with 40+ homers, 100+ RBIs, and score 100+ runs for the next 5 or so years, we'll gladly take it.
    Let the kids play.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Trade him to his hometown Dodgers this winter and sign Harper.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Can the real Giancarlo Stanton please stand up
    All those other Giancarlos are just imitators.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Trade him to his hometown Dodgers this winter and sign Harper.
    Derek Jeter gave Cashman a one-time lump sum payment of $30M to mitigate a portion of Stanton's remaining obscene salary so if the Dodgers were to trade for Stantion, expect them to request some of that $30M. Anyways, aside from Stanton's appeal to their fans due to his Latino heritage, why wouldn't the Dodgers want Bryce Harper instead at a much lower salary?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    . . . . Anyways, aside from Stanton's appeal to their fans due to his Latino heritage, why wouldn't the Dodgers want Bryce Harper instead at a much lower salary?
    Exactly so.

How do you figure Harper will be at a 'much lower salary'?

Dodgers are a team that will continually toe the luxury tax threshold. Stanton's AAV for luxury tax purposes is around $23.5M... which is far cheaper than $32M-$35M AAV expected for Harper.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    All those other Giancarlos are just imitators.
    I know itís not him thatís coming to the plate. I can see it in his eyes

I know itís not him thatís coming to the plate. I can see it in his eyes
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Derek Jeter gave Cashman a one-time lump sum payment of $30M to mitigate a portion of Stanton's remaining obscene salary so if the Dodgers were to trade for Stantion, expect them to request some of that $30M. Anyways, aside from Stanton's appeal to their fans due to his Latino heritage, why wouldn't the Dodgers want Bryce Harper instead at a much lower salary?
    What makes you think that Harper is going to sign for a lower AAV than Stanton?
    Thatís simply not going to happen.

What makes you think that Harper is going to sign for a lower AAV than Stanton?
    Thatís simply not going to happen.
    This.

At minimum, he's likely gonna get 25 mil per

Wants 2 be your latex salesman

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    How do you figure Harper will be at a 'much lower salary'?
    Seriously, I think Stanton makes $22M AAV after the Marlins kick-in. Harper probably is going to leave that in the dust.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

The case (kind of) for some optimism:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/the-ya...-can-still-be/

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    The case (kind of) for some optimism:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/the-ya...-can-still-be/
    Unfortunately, Vaccaro overlooks the fact that Reggie already had plenty of post-season experience with Oakland, and a very successful October track record to boot, prior to joining the Yankees. Stanton does not, so Vaccaro's column is comparing apples to oranges.

Unfortunately, Vaccaro overlooks the fact that Reggie already had plenty of post-season experience with Oakland, and a very successful October track record to boot, prior to joining the Yankees. Stanton does not, so Vaccaro's column is comparing apples to oranges.
    I thought he was just using Reggie as an example, one that Yankee fans would know, not as a one-to-one comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I thought he was just using Reggie as an example, one that Yankee fans would know, not as a one-to-one comparison.
    Sure, but the example is a poor one as Reggie's background was vastly different to Stanton's when both joined the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Seriously, I think Stanton makes $22M AAV after the Marlins kick-in. Harper probably is going to leave that in the dust.
    Absolutely.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

That isn't true. The Yankees only get that money if Stanton doesn't opt out after 2020.

Thread Information