+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21 61 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1874

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    He just isnt great. Good power hitter with a ton of holes in his swing. He is not an elite hitter. Everyone got seduced by last season, but in reality thats a career year for him. The likelihood of him ever getting close to that again is slim.
    Really really hope they move him asap. Make it a priority.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This is why I was very weary when this trade was made. You don't trade for players based on career years.
    Just wait until they sign Corbin based on his career year. All the makings of a horrendous deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Please trade him. He has a ntc but he will approve for the Dodgers.
    Why would the Dodgers want him unless the Yanks eat a lot of money. They can sign a better player who doesn't cost much more than Stanton.

It’s a serious misrepresentation to suggest that the Yankees signed Stanton based on a career year. 2017 was his best season, but there was nothing flukey about it. It wasn’t Norm Cash 1961; Stantonhad a 147 OPS+ over his 8 years in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    Why would the Dodgers want him unless the Yanks eat a lot of money. They can sign a better player who doesn't cost much more than Stanton.
    They advanced in the playoffs for three years in a row without him but need him now? Why

NYYF Legend

He was a pumpkin in the playoffs. Period. It's not the first time we've seen a superstar do this and not the last. Everyone is quick to kill him on his year, but it's his first year in New York. Tex said this on TMKS, that he actually thought for a first year Stanton did well and expected him to get better in the coming years. New York is a completely different animal. I'm not trading him to LA, I'm keeping him with the expectations that next year will be even better. His contract is reasonable, especially when you see what Harper/Machado will command.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    If you're referring to Harper/Machado, they are going to command significantly more money than what we are on the hook with Stanton.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    If you're referring to Harper/Machado, they are going to command significantly more money than what we are on the hook with Stanton.
    I could understand unloading Stanton for Machado, although I think the Yankees could afford both.

I don't understand unloading Stanton for Harper. He would cost significantly more than Stanton (in luxury tax perspective) and he is a lot more inconsistent and more injury-prone than Stanton.

Harper this season WAR is 1.4. He would absolutely get killed by the same Yankees fans who want to dump Stanton after his first season.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I could understand unloading Stanton for Machado, although I think the Yankees could afford both.

I don't understand unloading Stanton for Harper. He would cost significantly more than Stanton (in luxury tax perspective) and he is a lot more inconsistent and more injury-prone than Stanton.

Harper this season WAR is 1.4. He would absolutely get killed by the same Yankees fans who want to dump Stanton after his first season.
    They'll turn on Harper too as soon as he has a season like this last one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Check out the pitch chart on his last AB. Wow.

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/10/red...-ninth-179878/
    From the commentary there:
    Awful. Hitting is very difficult. Hitting Kimbrel is even more difficult. But that was a garbage at-bat. “You’ve got to put the ball in play. You’ve got to get a pitch out over the plate,” said Stanton after the game. So, maybe try to do that at some point? Giancarlo had a very good regular season. Not as good as his career average season, but he was very good overall and great from May through about August. Then he put together some craptastic at-bats in the ALDS. This one and his bases loaded strikeout with no outs in Game One stand out.

He was a pumpkin in the playoffs. Period. It's not the first time we've seen a superstar do this and not the last. Everyone is quick to kill him on his year, but it's his first year in New York. Tex said this on TMKS, that he actually thought for a first year Stanton did well and expected him to get better in the coming years. New York is a completely different animal. I'm not trading him to LA, I'm keeping him with the expectations that next year will be even better. His contract is reasonable, especially when you see what Harper/Machado will command.
    He definitely had a decent 1st season as a Yankee, but him batting cleanup all playoff long really did him no favors. He was basically our Chris Davis in a big spot.

I haven't given up on him, and his postseason this year was not quite as dreadful as some are making it out to be. But I completely agree that his stance and swing are really ugly and easy to exploit. He needs to adjust.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wily View Post
    He needs to go.
    nobody is taking on that salary

and lets not forget gi needs to approve any trade

Ellsbury 2.0

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It’s a serious misrepresentation to suggest that the Yankees signed Stanton based on a career year. 2017 was his best season, but there was nothing flukey about it. It wasn’t Norm Cash 1961; Stantonhad a 147 OPS+ over his 8 years in Miami.
    I don't think it is a misrepresentation at all. The Marlins gave Stanton that massive contract based on an assumption that he would become the player we saw in 2017. That's what the Yankees are now paying for. His 2018 season looks a lot like his career numbers:
    Career: .268/.358/.548
    2018: .266/.343/.509
    2017: .281/.376/.631

2017 is looking more like the outlier. 2018 was certainly not a disaster but he is too easy to pitch to in big spots because of the holes in his swing. They need to move him down in the order because he is a rally killer in the 3 and 4 hole.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I don't think it is a misrepresentation at all. The Marlins gave Stanton that massive contract based on an assumption that he would become the player we saw in 2017. That's what the Yankees are now paying for. His 2018 season looks a lot like his career numbers:
    Career: .268/.358/.548
    2018: .266/.343/.509
    2017: .281/.376/.631

2017 is looking more like the outlier. 2018 was certainly not a disaster but he is too easy to pitch to in big spots because of the holes in his swing. They need to move him down in the order because he is a rally killer in the 3 and 4 hole.
    The Marlins did but the Yankees didn't. That's why the Marlins needed to take back Castro $24M and pay the Yankees $30M for Stanton contract if he doesn't opt out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The Marlins did but the Yankees didn't. That's why the Marlins needed to take back Castro $24M and pay the Yankees $30M for Stanton contract if he doesn't opt out.
    As I stated at the time of trade, that's not enough money. They needed to throw in more.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Thank you for this. It's reasonable and rational.

NYYF Legend

I think people are generally overreacting here in terms of his future, but that was maybe the worst AB I've ever seen considering the situation. It was like he woke up from a nap in the middle of a REM cycle and maybe had also forgotten that breaking pitches exist.

I know he swings through breaking pitches all the time, but with a little situational awareness, all he would have had to do was stand there and wait for a favorable count/walk. Maybe know what your own reputation is and try using that in an important moment.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I think people are generally overreacting here in terms of his future, but that was maybe the worst AB I've ever seen considering the situation. It was like he woke up from a nap in the middle of a REM cycle and maybe had also forgotten that breaking pitches exist.

I know he swings through breaking pitches all the time, but with a little situational awareness, all he would have had to do was stand there and wait for a favorable count/walk. Maybe know what your own reputation is and try using that in an important moment.
    Ken Singleton always says during a big scoring opportunity "remember, the pitcher is the one in trouble". With Stanton, it feels like the batter is always the one in trouble in the big scoring opportunity.

Not buying the New York angle at all. Hs is a great athlete with atrocious hitting mechanics. The name of the city is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Not buying the New York angle at all. Hs is a great athlete with atrocious hitting mechanics. The name of the city is irrelevant.
    He is what he is. Hitters with a closed stance will hit 250-260. I know you’ve been around the game a while so you probably know that
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Just wait until they sign Corbin based on his career year. All the makings of a horrendous deal.
    Agree. Sign Morton.

Calls a tool a tool

Awareness.

Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

An interesting idea for next year (that Boone won't consider), maybe we should bat Stanton in the leadoff spot. His numbers with runners on base and in scoring position are dramatically worse than with the bases empty. While he was atrocious in those situations in NY (81wRC+ with runners in scoring position), its also a career trend (158wRC+ bases empty, 124 with men on, 121 with men in scoring position).

I know Hicks and Judge are better OBP guys, but they're also better at hitting with runners on. This might be a good way to relieve pressure and use him in the best way possible. Plus he wouldn't be the first slugger or top-tier talent to take on the leadoff spot.

As bad as he looked at times the guy is still one of our best offensive players. And let's be real we're not trading him. If you think Jeter had no leverage, Cash would be in a worse position if he tried to go that route as Stanton would maybe give him LAD only and the Dodgers would want money back. And for the same reason Boone won't be fired after his first season, Cash won't admit error with Stanton either.

Also he needs to be back in the OF (LF) next year. DH occasionally, but unless Frazier demands everyday playing action than Stanton should be in LF.

Thread Information