+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 76 FirstFirst ... 12 52 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1877
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    As soon as the Yanks are eliminated, Cashman should get on the phone with Zaidi to see if the Dodgers still have interest in Stanton and put the money the Yanks would have spent on Stanton to better use. But, I won't hold my breath on that happening.
    Stanton needs to stay in the AL and DH on occasion. AL team that would have interest in him?

NYYF Legend

He's not going anywhere. Full NTC that we know he's not afraid to use.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He's not going anywhere. Full NTC that we know he's not afraid to use.

Dodgers? Wasn't he willing to go there if they swung a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Stanton needs to stay in the AL and DH on occasion. AL team that would have interest in him?

Not sure if he thrived in the NL (especially last year) because of his familiarity with the pitchers or because he was in a low-pressure situation with the Marlins.

Not sure if he thrived in the NL (especially last year) because of his familiarity with the pitchers or because he was in a low-pressure situation with the Marlins.
    A big fish in a small pond will outperform a small minnow in a big pond.

NYYF Legend

Dodgers? Wasn't he willing to go there if they swung a deal?
    Yeah, but I don't see him agreeing to it now. After going through everything to get here, moving here, settling in, getting acclimated to city/teammates, ect...
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Yeah, but I don't see him agreeing to it now. After going through everything to get here, moving here, settling in, getting acclimated to city/teammates, ect...
    I just hope Stanton goes on a tear now after slamming in 4 RBIs to put the Yankees ahead last night. Starting tonight against the woeful O's, the entire batting order must bash, smash and slam out 8 or more runs for the next three days.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I just hope Stanton goes on a tear now after slamming in 4 RBIs to put the Yankees ahead last night. Starting tonight against the woeful O's, the entire batting order must bash, smash and slam out 8 or more runs for the next three days.
    I do too, but it seems like Stanton has these bursts of offensive outputs, then goes in to a mini slump for awhile. I don't think he ever got into a groove this year. Maybe DH'ing had an effect ?
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Stanton needs to hit more singles to move the base runners. That means cutting down his swing.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    I do too, but it seems like Stanton has these bursts of offensive outputs, then goes in to a mini slump for awhile. I don't think he ever got into a groove this year. Maybe DH'ing had an effect ?
    He got off to a slow start for the first few weeks a d has slumped the last few weeks, but he actually hit really well for most of the year and carried the offense at times.

April 23-Aug 30 - 113 games, 501 PA, .292/.361/.547/.908, 29 HR, 72 RBI, 76 Runs

Heís a big reason why the offense didnít fall apart but continued to score runs after Judge went down.

What a huge mistake. No excuses. It can't be stressed enough.

NYYF Legend

Needs to stop batting 4th.
    Calmer than you are

What a huge mistake. No excuses. It can't be stressed enough.
    Trading for Stanton?

Not at all if that's what you mean

Hitters pulling their weight:

Voit
    Andujar
    Torres

Hitters scuffling:
    Sanchez
    Stanton
    Judge
    Bird

Hitters being borderline:

McCutchen
    Hicks
    Didi
    Gardy
    Walker
    Hechavarria

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Trading for Stanton?

Not at all if that's what you mean

He's produced well below my expectations, which in all fairness to him, was based on only one insane season in a low pressure environment. But, we'll be paying him a mighty handsome salary till 2028 and trust me, it will only get worse in the latter years of this contract.

To make matters worse, Starlin Castro has a higher WAR and has been the better value of the two this year, commensurate to their respective salaries. Starlin F'n Castro. I'm not saying I'd rather have Castro or equating the two as hitters, I'm just putting things in perspective.

When assessing his worth to this team, it also doesn't help to see what JD is doing in Boston. We had bigger needs and if we really needed to add a bat, JD would have been the far better choice, IMO.

FYI, this isn't Monday morning QBing.

He's produced well below my expectations, which in all fairness to him, was based on only one insane season in a low pressure environment. But, we'll be paying him a mighty handsome salary till 2028 and trust me, it will only get worse in the latter years of this contract.

To make matters worse, Starlin Castro has a better WAR and has been the better value of the two this year, commensurate to their respective salaries. Starlin F'n Castro. I'm not saying I'd rather have Castro or equating the two as hitters, I'm just putting things in perspective.

When assessing his worth to this team, it also doesn't help to see what JD is doing in Boston. We had bigger needs and if we really needed to add a bat, JD would have been the far better choice, IMO.

after having a great statistical year stanton always seems to have a down year... next year will be a much better year for him...

NYYF Legend

First postseason-clinching celebration for Stanton. Maybe it will encourage him to start hitting better!

It is looking like he will get Mike Fiers of all people in his first postseason game ever, lot of history there.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Stanton needs to hit more singles to move the base runners. That means cutting down his swing.
    That could be said about anyone on this offense.

They are 8th..8th in the AL in hits. I love the long ball but so many times this year a simple single would have won them a game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post

They are 8th..8th in the AL in hits. I love the long ball but so many times this year a simple single would have won them a game.
    Thatís embarrassing.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

To make matters worse, Starlin Castro has a higher WAR and has been the better value of the two this year, commensurate to their respective salaries. Starlin F'n Castro. I'm not saying I'd rather have Castro or equating the two as hitters, I'm just putting things in perspective.

Ea
    T
    Agree, Agree, Agree. When I heard the rumors the Yankees might pursue him in the off season I literally laughed it off. Certainly after just getting out from A-Rods deal I thought there was no chance Cashman would take on another ten year deal, especially for someone who profilles as high strikeout DH type. Wow was I wrong. And the worse is yet to come in the form of opportunity cost.

And how many fewer games would they have won if they all cut down on their swings and didnít hit as many home runs? Did those HRs win them any games? And arenít they 3rd in wins in Major League Baseball? How many more games do you have them winning with the modified swings?

As for being 8th in hits, they are also 2nd in Runs. Now I like hits as much as the next guy. And I have to admit that itís a tough choice. Would I rather my team be 2nd in Runs or 2nd in hits and 8th in Runs? Then they could be the TB Rays, who are actually 2nd in hits, 10th in Runs, and out of the playoffs. As tough a choice as it is, I have to go with the team that is 8th in hits, 1st in Walks, 2nd in Runs, and headed for the postseason.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    And how many fewer games would they have won if they all cut down on their swings and didnít hit as many home runs? Did those HRs win them any games? And arenít they 3rd in wins in Major League Baseball? How many more games do you have them winning with the modified swings?

As for being 8th in hits, they are also 2nd in Runs. Now I like hits as much as the next guy. And I have to admit that itís a tough choice. Would I rather my team be 2nd in Runs or 2nd in hits and 8th in Runs? Then they could be the TB Rays, who are actually 2nd in hits, 10th in Runs, and out of the playoffs. As tough a choice as it is, I have to go with the team that is 8th in hits, 1st in Walks, 2nd in Runs, and headed for the postseason.
    Ok so your in your view being versatile is bad got it.

The other option is something like what the Sox do. Who have about 60 less HR but because they can make contact they lead the league in runs.

Strikeouts,walks, HR as you have seen since the All star break has caused us to struggle against awful teams. Cant wait for Verlander etc.

Ok so your in your view being versatile is bad got it.
    Nice try.

You’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

The other option is something like what the Sox do. Who have about 60 less HR but because they can make contact they lead the league in runs.
    And the Yankees are 2nd in Runs. The difference between the 2 offenses is 26 runs over 154 games, or 0.16 runs per game. That difference is minuscule. The 2 offenses are basically equal, especially when you consider that the Yankees lead the league in Walks, which cuts the Sox advantage in hits in half.

Who says it’s an option to do what the Sox do? The Yankee hitters do what they do. The Sox hitters do what they do. Not everyone has the same abilities. I’m sure that the Yankees would love to have Mookie and JD, who are having career years, which puts both of them in MVP contention. It’s those two who make the difference, not the entire lineup.

Let’s not forget that the Sox lineup includes Bradley Jr who bats .231 with 133 Ks, Devers who bats .239 with 106 Ks, Moreland who bats .242 with 100 Ks, and a catching rotation which combines to hit .198 with 126 Ks. If it’s simply a matter of approach, why does half of their lineup look like that?

You seem to be assuming that cutting down on the swing will produce instant results. But it doesn’t necessarily. Hacking away also can produce more outs, fewer walks, fewer HR, and more DPs. In fact the Sox do hit into more DPs, draw fewer walks, and hit fewer HRs.

The other factor you’re ignoring is the park the Red Sox play in. Almost any offense is going to get more hits in Fenway than they would in almost any other park. That park makes hitters look a little better than they would otherwise. Yankee Stadium is a better HR park. Offenses are often built to take advantage of what the home park will give them.

Strikeouts,walks, HR as you have seen since the All star break has caused us to struggle against awful teams. Cant wait for Verlander etc.
    So have injuries and problems with the pitching. The team’s approach hasn’t changed since the ASG, so why were they winning at the same pace as the Red Sox in the first 81 games? And how has hitting HR caused this team to struggle???

How do you complain about the hitting on a team that has the 2nd most productive offense in baseball and has won 95 games with 7 to go?

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    T
    Agree, Agree, Agree. When I heard the rumors the Yankees might pursue him in the off season I literally laughed it off. Certainly after just getting out from A-Rods deal I thought there was no chance Cashman would take on another ten year deal, especially for someone who profilles as high strikeout DH type. Wow was I wrong. And the worse is yet to come in the form of opportunity cost.
    Yep, I didn't see this coming and happy to unload Castro (win-win) but like you I am worried it may be another Arod contract. I hate his swing now. I think Marcus Thames is useless in helping with him. I think HOU and BoSox have these tablets in the dugouts (NESN in last NYY vs BOS contest) - they seem to know what pitches. Boone only gave him 3 games off all year which I think is bad, Having him in top of the lineup when his OBP is maybe 0.3 (more walks than hits wouldn't surprise me either) I find troubling. Like the post earlier - I hope he gets hot but I don't see any indication in the last recent games. Yes, I'm worried.

Thread Information