+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

If you haven't already seen it, here are all 59 of Stanton's HRs last year. It'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ6Bz5P6dg4
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

From a Cubs fan site:

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2017/12/...one-big-piece/

And it’s not just the Cubs, so don’t go lamenting their cheap ways. Even the Yankees, who’ve been over the luxury tax limit since before Derek Jeter was sending custom gift baskets to paramours, are working to lower their spending. But…but…the Giancarlo Stanton trade. Yep, and the $22 million AAV they’re responsible for (assuming he opts in the Marlins pay the agreed-upon $30 million kicker) would be tied with Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, and Jordan Zimmerman for 21st in MLB in terms of average value. That’s crazy low for the NL MVP.

Don’t read this if you don’t want to throw up in your mouth a little bit, but Jason Heyward’s AAV is $23 million. Sorry, I’ll buy you lunch next time we meet to make up for the one I just cost you.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    If you haven't already seen it, here are all 59 of Stanton's HRs last year. It'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Nice. And like Judge quite a few HRs to RF.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Nice. And like Judge quite a few HRs to RF.
    Having a hard time waiting for the season to begin
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Having a hard time waiting for the season to begin
    Yea, me too. Been awhile since in December I was wishing the season was starting tomorrow.

His swing is actually kinda ugly. Never really looked closely at it before. It seems like he starts very late but he has incredible bat speed.

I'm not enough of a hitting expert to know if this kind of swing will age well.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    His swing is actually kinda ugly. Never really looked closely at it before. It seems like he starts very late but he has incredible bat speed.

Kinda similar to Clint Frazier. You know, the sliding back foot on contact. The timing mechanism that's supposed to ruin Frazier's career in the big leagues.

I'd say Stanton has done okay so far. Whatever works for him, he should stick with it.

Go figure. I didn't think it was possible to get me more amped up for Stanton's upcoming reign of terror and damage. I was wrong.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Wow, so many of those on off speed pitches and he kills lefties, he may help a lot against Keuchel.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Wow, so many of those on off speed pitches and he kills lefties, he may help a lot against Keuchel.
    Extremely small sample, but lifetime against Keuchel-

7/25/14- 3 AB's, 1 hit (single), 1 strikeout, 1 fly ball out

5/16/17- 2 AB's, 1 fielders choice, safe at first. 1 groundout

Yeah, I meant to look that up, thanks.

It is going to be so fun watching Stanton and Judge with their exit velocity. Maybe a little friendly competition would make it interesting.

Stanton led Judge with 122.2 mph vs 121.1 mph and are 1 & 2 respectively in 2017. But Judge's average is 94.9 mph vs Stanton at 91.9 mph and are 1 & 7 respectively.

Just something entertaining to me anyway.

Sanchez ranks 22nd with an average 90.7, and ranks 18th with a max 115.7 mph.
    In Cashman I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    It is going to be so fun watching Stanton and Judge with their exit velocity. Maybe a little friendly competition would make it interesting.

Stanton led Judge with 122.2 mph vs 121.1 mph and are 1 & 2 respectively in 2017. But Judge's average is 94.9 mph vs Stanton at 91.9 mph and are 1 & 7 respectively.

Just something entertaining to me anyway.

Sanchez ranks 22nd with an average 90.7, and ranks 18th with a max 115.7 mph.
    I was sick of hearing about exit velocity last season. This season I'm doomed.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I was the other way around. Once they started tracking it I fell in love with the stat. It's fascinating. It's just extremely impressive to me. To be able to crush a ball that hard consistently. Obviously distance is equally as impressive but when you compare these two guys to others with their max they are 2 and 3 mph ahead of those behind them, and those behind are jumbled up and separated by just 10ths of a mph.
    In Cashman I trust.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I was the other way around. Once they started tracking it I fell in love with the stat. It's fascinating. It's just extremely impressive to me. To be able to crush a ball that hard consistently. Obviously distance is equally as impressive but when you compare these two guys to others with their max they are 2 and 3 mph ahead of those behind them, and those behind are jumbled up and separated by just 10ths of a mph.
    Since Statcast began in 2015:

That is ridiculous. Itís video game mode.
    In Cashman I trust.

NYYF Legend

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

hitting the ball hard is a good thing.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

I agree. All I care about is that the ball goes over the fence. Does it really matter how fast the ball travels to do that?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post

I think the ugliness you're seeing is based largely on his swing plane being freakishly level for a mega powerhitter. He's not a load the back leg and uppercut kind of guy, which is what historically makes for great aesthetics when hitting home runs.

This is also why, despite them being 1-2 in both max exit velocity and HR distance, you'll see next season that they hit very different types of monster HR. Judge hits alien-like moonshots that never come down where we've been conditioned for our entire lives to see a towering flyball land, and Stanton hits insane laser shots that have that same mind-numbing distance compared to what we're used to historically.

Finally got around to watching both Stanton and Judge hit all of their 2017 homers on the MLB links. Couple those two up with Bird, Sanchez, Didi, Hicks, Gardie and replace Headley and Castro with Torres and possibly Andujar? OMG... Add in Machado or Harper in 2019?? Well that would be totally absurd.

NYYF Legend

I think the ugliness you're seeing is based largely on his swing plane being freakishly level for a mega powerhitter. He's not a load the back leg and uppercut kind of guy, which is what historically makes for great aesthetics when hitting home runs.

This is also why, despite them being 1-2 in both max exit velocity and HR distance, you'll see next season that they hit very different types of monster HR. Judge hits alien-like moonshots that never come down where we've been conditioned for our entire lives to see a towering flyball land, and Stanton hits insane laser shots that have that same mind-numbing distance compared to what we're used to historically.
    Adding new meaning to a ďA bloop and a blastĒ
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

It's like he doesn't use his legs at all to make power.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Thanks for the explanation. I think the more I see him in action the more I'll get used to it. Shouldn't be too hard with those kinds of results.

I just went back and watched a few of those home runs again, and I figured out one of the reasons his swing looked odd to me. He never removes his top hand from the bat.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

On a side note, that announcer calling Stanton's homers is awful. He adds absolutley nothing to the moment and some of them were seemingly big ones. Every homers sounded like a canned homerun call from a video game.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Give me Sterling over him anyday.

Thread Information