+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 1535
  1. #51

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I totally agree with this. In fact, I'm not really digging any of the recent ex-yankees that are currently in the media. Jeter is coming off as a douche, Tex seems to be saying whatever he thinks he needs to say to get attention, and ARod is just a buffoon (though, interestingly, probably the least offensive of the bunch). The Jeter thing, though, is really surprising and awful.
    I agree with this.

    I used to love Jeter back in the 90's but really soured on him with the way he treated A-Rod when he joined the team.

    As captain, he should have put his personal feelings aside, swallowed his pride and done what was best in order to unify the team. Instead, his openly icy treatment of A-Rod created division in the clubhouse for years and damaged the team. He put himself, his ego and his personal feelings ahead of the team.

    Reggie said far more hurtful things about Thurman Munson back in '77, yet Thurm was able to put it behind him for the sake of the team. THAT'S what a real leader does.

    To be honest, I've viewed Jeter as a diva ever since, and he hasn't disappointed.

    Ironically, between Jeter, Tex and A-Rod, I find A-Rod to be the most likeable of the 3 now.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  2. #52
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhode Island

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Well, what can I say?

    Seems many of you have very lofty expectations and I would love nothing more than to see Stanton put up unprecedented numbers, but that's precisely what many of you are expecting if you think he's going to consistently hit 50 HR a year without the benefit of PEDs or a juiced ball.

    To put it into perspective, only Babe Ruth did it 4 times under those circumstances.
    Do we have any reason to believe the ball will change?

    So that Plus being surrounded by possible 2 40 HR guys Vs 4 hr guys, plus changing stadiums, plus the fact with a new swing he hit 59. Sure I could see him hitting about 10 HR less then last year which still puts him at 50. Or with more pitches to hit who knows.

  3. #53

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    Do we have any reason to believe the ball will change?
    I personally believe the ball will change simply because that's what has always happened in the past when they used a juiced ball, and I also believe that the powers that be do not want to make a mockery of the game's record books which is precisely what would happen if they were to maintain a juiced ball infinitely.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  4. #54
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhode Island

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I personally believe the ball will change simply because that's what has always happened in the past when they used a juiced ball, and I also believe that the powers that be do not want to make a mockery of the game's record books which is precisely what would happen if they were to maintain a juiced ball infinitely.
    Again [and I don't know the answer]...what were the ratings last year?

    Everything about ESPN etc. are launch angles and guys mashing.

    The HR derby ratings last year were up over 30% from the previous year.

    HR are what bring new fans in [at least I think]. If ratings are up..the ball stays IMO.

  5. #55

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    Again [and I don't know the answer]...what were the ratings last year?

    Everything about ESPN etc. are launch angles and guys mashing.

    The HR derby ratings last year were up over 30% from the previous year.

    HR are what bring new fans in [at least I think]. If ratings are up..the ball stays IMO.
    not just baseball. there are 2 reasons why t20 cricket is the most popular format of cricket. 1.) it takes about 3 hours not 5 days to determine a winner 2.) chicks dig the longball. You see a lot more big hits and sixes (cricket HR equivalent)
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  6. #56

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    In 2014 Stanton played 144 games batting 3rd and hit 37 homers.

    In 2014 the Number 4 spot in Miamis lineup in 162 games...629 at bats...Produced 6 homeruns

    Chris McGehee had 491 of those at bats and hit 4 hr

    He probably hits 50 that year if he had any lineup protection no?

    He hit 37 when the pitcher new the guy battting 4th couldn't take him deep.
    Good post. Here's some related stuff.

    In 2014, Stanton drew a career high 94 walks, 2nd most in the NL. 24 of those walks were intentional, also a career high and most in the NL.

    In 2014, despite the high number of walks, Stanton led the NL in HR, Slugging, and Total Bases.

    One other thing to note is that whatever was going on that year, it was the lowest year for HR production in the last 25 years. Articles began to appear after that season and into 2015, asking whether we were in a new dead ball era. In other words, 37 was a lot of HR that year. Just how good Stanto was in the context of his playing environment that year is reflected by the fact that his 164 OPS+ was virtually identical to his 165 OPS+ this season.

  7. #57

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I personally believe the ball will change simply because that's what has always happened in the past when they used a juiced ball, and I also believe that the powers that be do not want to make a mockery of the game's record books which is precisely what would happen if they were to maintain a juiced ball infinitely.
    I don't know about that. They kept the juiced ball of the '90's around for a long time, Zim.

  8. #58
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    If anything, it should show you that he is serious about winning and wants to be here. It isn't all about the money (because he's going to take a pay cut with increased taxes and cost of living in NY. FL has no state income tax).

    My biggest concern is that we got him off his career year (which coincides with the optimal age, statistically). I don't think he's going to hit 59, or ever over 50 home runs every year, but I'm more than happy with a +.280 BA and 45HR each year, especially if he can learn to draw some walks.
    learnt to take walks? he's walked a lot in his career.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  9. #59
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I agree with this.

    I used to love Jeter back in the 90's but really soured on him with the way he treated A-Rod when he joined the team.

    As captain, he should have put his personal feelings aside, swallowed his pride and done what was best in order to unify the team. Instead, his openly icy treatment of A-Rod created division in the clubhouse for years and damaged the team. He put himself, his ego and his personal feelings ahead of the team.

    Reggie said far more hurtful things about Thurman Munson back in '77, yet Thurm was able to put it behind him for the sake of the team. THAT'S what a real leader does.

    To be honest, I've viewed Jeter as a diva ever since, and he hasn't disappointed.

    Ironically, between Jeter, Tex and A-Rod, I find A-Rod to be the most likeable of the 3 now.
    i found the respect stuff when he retired a little hypocritical.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  10. #60

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I don't know about that. They kept the juiced ball of the '90's around for a long time, Zim.
    Juiced ball or juiced players?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  11. #61

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    i found the respect stuff when he retired a little hypocritical.
    Even more so when you look at how poorly he dealt with Andre Dawson, Tony Perez, Jeff Conine, Jack McKeon and Stanton in his brief tenure with the Marlins.

    Making matters worse, he openly states he wouldn't have handled Stanton differently.

    Either he's completely tone deaf or too self-centered to understand that he's not the only one who wants to be treated with dignity and respect.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  12. #62
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I personally believe the ball will change simply because that's what has always happened in the past when they used a juiced ball, and I also believe that the powers that be do not want to make a mockery of the game's record books which is precisely what would happen if they were to maintain a juiced ball infinitely.
    You have more faith in the owners as stewards of the game than I do.

    I have lousy search-engine skills so i can't provide a link here but I am pretty sure Bill James did a study about 20 years ago that shows that throughout history, attendance closely tracks run scoring, IOW when scoring is up, attendance rises, when it falls, attendance falls. Sometimes, admittedly, external factors are in play: World War II baseballs were made of "dead" material and attendance plummeted, but then again many of the men were off at war, so you can't count that. But otherwise the data, if I remember right, seem to corroborate James' assertion. The 1960s was the "decade of the pitcher" and that just happened to be the decade the NFL elbowed past baseball as the nation's favorite sport.

    And really we only have one PROVABLE case of baseball juicing, which wasn't technically a juicing: in the early 1920s when it was ruled that discolored and dented balls had to be taken out of play. That led to an offensive explosion in the 1920s but it wasn't a "juiced" ball, it was a "clean" ball. Plus the spitball was outlawed then.

    What I'm saying in a roundabout way is I don't think owners care about planting the fields, but they know how to grab the crops.

  13. #63

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

    Ironically, between Jeter, Tex and A-Rod, I find A-Rod to be the most likeable of the 3 now.
    Because he's a cartoon character now...nobody dislikes a cartoon. But there is a major difference between the stains on his resume and the other 2.
    If anything, the whole notion of likeable when it comes to people we'll never be in a room alone with, is silly. Different topic but all these sexual harassment issues that are popping up at this moment confirms that.

  14. #64
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Juiced ball or juiced players?
    Likely both. After the strike, Selig knew that HR could bring fans back. He couldn't force players to take juice. He could easily give the players juiced balls.

  15. #65

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Juiced ball or juiced players?
    Lot of evidence for a juiced ball. We obviously know that there were juiced players. In all likelihood, one fed off the other. IMO the juiced ball was the more significant factor.

  16. #66
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Judge says, "We're just adding not only great players but quality guys as well.”
    ...
    "He's an MVP,'' Judge said of the 28-year-old Stanton, also a right fielder like Judge. "You can learn a lot from a guy like that, just kind of watching how he goes through his normal routine. I'm just looking forward to being around him. He'll blend right into this team. We've got a good chemistry in the clubhouse. He's going to be a great fit for New York.''
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ncarlo-stanton

  17. #67
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Even more so when you look at how poorly he dealt with Andre Dawson, Tony Perez, Jeff Conine, Jack McKeon and Stanton in his brief tenure with the Marlins.

    Making matters worse, he openly states he wouldn't have handled Stanton differently.

    Either he's completely tone deaf or too self-centered to understand that he's not the only one who wants to be treated with dignity and respect.
    there is very little about derek jeter that has made me think he's a likeable person.
    Last edited by ajra21; 12-17-17 at 06:30 AM.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  18. #68
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    there is very little about derek jeter that has made me think he's a liable person.
    Even if he is liable, he has plenty of money to settle out of court.

  19. #69
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Ugh, the Sterling call for Stanton just dawned on me.

    "Here's the the 2-1...swung on and there it goes! NNNNIT IS HIGH...NNNIT IS FAR...NNNIT...IS...GIAAAAN-CARLO!
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  20. #70

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I agree with this.

    I used to love Jeter back in the 90's but really soured on him with the way he treated A-Rod when he joined the team.

    As captain, he should have put his personal feelings aside, swallowed his pride and done what was best in order to unify the team. Instead, his openly icy treatment of A-Rod created division in the clubhouse for years and damaged the team. He put himself, his ego and his personal feelings ahead of the team.

    Reggie said far more hurtful things about Thurman Munson back in '77, yet Thurm was able to put it behind him for the sake of the team. THAT'S what a real leader does.

    To be honest, I've viewed Jeter as a diva ever since, and he hasn't disappointed.

    Ironically, between Jeter, Tex and A-Rod, I find A-Rod to be the most likeable of the 3 now.
    I never actually gravitated to jeter. Always thought his ego got overlooked by zealous fans who gave him a pass too often. Arod was clearly a better defender at short yet jeter refused to move over. I felt that Jeter put himself above the team.

    When jeter was nearing retirement, he clearly had no right being second in the order nor at short. Instead of taking one for the team, he stubbornly sticks in and hurts the team offensively and defensively. Not much of a leader when you're not leading by example. His behavior looked to me like entitlement.

    Just my take. No idea if its true or not.

  21. #71
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Even if he is liable, he has plenty of money to settle out of court.
    hahahah, damn.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  22. #72
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    I never actually gravitated to jeter. Always thought his ego got overlooked by zealous fans who gave him a pass too often. Arod was clearly a better defender at short yet jeter refused to move over. I felt that Jeter put himself above the team.

    When jeter was nearing retirement, he clearly had no right being second in the order nor at short. Instead of taking one for the team, he stubbornly sticks in and hurts the team offensively and defensively. Not much of a leader when you're not leading by example. His behavior looked to me like entitlement.

    Just my take. No idea if its true or not.
    you're not alone on this. i know plenty of yankee fans who found jeter to be far less about the team than he made out.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  23. #73
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    you're not alone on this. i know plenty of yankee fans who found jeter to be far less about the team than he made out.
    I knew Joe would not move Jeter out of the two spot unless Jeter told him it was alright.

  24. #74
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I knew Joe would not move Jeter out of the two spot unless Jeter told him it was alright.
    Reason 4,569 why I'm glad we have a new manager.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

  25. #75
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Reason 4,569 why I'm glad we have a new manager.
    As much as I disliked Joe, I really did not blame him. It was really up to Jeter to tell him he would bat lower.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts