+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Watched some of the press conference. Got some bad vibes. I know his numbers are eye popping, but I donít see this ending well. Has nothing to do with money, by the way. I just caught a whiff of a really crappy attitude from Stanton. Thereís a huge contrast between him and Judge in that department. I hope Iím wrong.
    Well perhaps, but if you analyze it, he really sort of had a right to be upset. His vitriol was towards the Marlins, not to anyone else.. He signed a big deal to be the face of that franchise, and they started to surround him with some really nice talent. Then, in a blink, it's gone, again. He saw several years of losing and never being pitched to.

He decided he wanted out, and then the Marlins tried to strongarm and threaten him..

I mean, I'd be ticked off too..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Watched some of the press conference. Got some bad vibes. I know his numbers are eye popping, but I don’t see this ending well. Has nothing to do with money, by the way. I just caught a whiff of a really crappy attitude from Stanton. There’s a huge contrast between him and Judge in that department. I hope I’m wrong.
    If anything, it should show you that he is serious about winning and wants to be here. It isn't all about the money (because he's going to take a pay cut with increased taxes and cost of living in NY. FL has no state income tax).

My biggest concern is that we got him off his career year (which coincides with the optimal age, statistically). I don't think he's going to hit 59, or ever over 50 home runs every year, but I'm more than happy with a +.280 BA and 45HR each year, especially if he can learn to draw some walks.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    If healthy I predict 39 homeruns next year with a .260 batting average. Adjusting to new league and new team.
    He's going from one of the worst hitter's parks in baseball to one of the better ones. And he has room for improvement. He hit 27 HR in 2015 in only 74 games. So he already has 2 seasons on a 55-60 HR. Last year wasn't a fluke.

I'll predict conservatively a .290 BA, .395 OPB, and 60 HR in round numbers.

NYYF Legend

Wonder how many dozen pages long this thread will be by Spring Training?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Wonder how many dozen pages long this thread will be by Spring Training?
    By all means let's all pitch in to set the record!
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    If healthy I predict 39 homeruns next year with a .260 batting average. Adjusting to new league and new team.
    the only way he hits only 39 home runs is if he is injured and misses 30 or 40 games....

NYYF Legend

His career high before last year was 37.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

If Stanton hits 40, I'll be thrilled.

Without a juiced ball like we saw in 2017, he's not going to hit much more than that.
    Neither is Judge.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

Without a juiced ball like we saw in 2017, he's not going to hit much more than that.
    Neither is Judge.
    Judge hit nearly nothing for over a month. With Stanton hitting behind him, I would not be shocked at all if he hit 50+ again.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Neither is Judge.
    Why won't the ball be juiced like last year? MLB just enjoyed one of its most exciting seasons post steroid era.

expecting Stanton's production to plummet by 20 hrs hitting in a better hitters park with more protection in the lineup, doesn't sound logical.

Neither is Judge.
    Stantons 162 average in 44. And considering the ball park dimensions, if he is healthy for 150+, something would have to be seriously wrong if he doesnt get 40+ quite comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed View Post
    Why won't the ball be juiced like last year? MLB just enjoyed one of its most exciting seasons post steroid era.

expecting Stanton's production to plummet by 20 hrs hitting in a better hitters park with more protection in the lineup, doesn't sound logical.
    Why isn't the ball juiced every year?

You can bet pitchers have complained heavily about the juiced ball, and as a result, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we see a drop in HR's in 2018.
    Not sure how you expect Stanton to hit close to 60 HRs every year when he never hit more than 37 prior to 2017. That doesn't sound logical...

Also not sure how a prediction of 40 HRs is some kind of slight on Stanton..

Why isn't the ball juiced every year?

You can bet pitchers have complained heavily about the juiced ball, and as a result, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we see a drop in HR's in 2018.
    Not sure how you expect Stanton to hit close to 60 HRs every year when he never hit more than 37 prior to 2017. That doesn't sound logical...

Also not sure how a prediction of 40 HRs is some kind of slight on Stanton..
    The only reason Stanton's previous career high was 37 was is injuries, Zim.

In 2012 he hit 37 HR in 123 games. He was on pace to hit 45 HR if he had played 150 games as he had the year before.

In 2015 he hit 27 HR in just 74 games. Double that to a normal 148 games and he had a 54 HR season. Last season was not a fluke for Stanton.

The best indicator of what a 28 year will do is what he did when he was 27. Stanton should be at this level for a few years. As Smashed said, better hitter's park and better lineup both create better hitting conditions for him.

Comsider that HR went up during that 1960s dead ball era, not down. I take Harmon Killebrew as a prime example. He hit 46 HR in the expansion season of 1961, but as the '60's moved into their dead ball phase, he maintained and even increased his power. Starting in 1962, his seasonal HR totals were 48, 45, 49, 25, 39, 44, 17, 49, 41, leading the league in HR 5 times during that streak. His two seasons of 25 and 17 were due to injury, not a decrease in power. I expect Stanton to be every bit as consistent as Killebrew was for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The only reason Stanton's previous career high was 37 was is injuries, Zim.

In 2012 he hit 37 HR in 123 games. He was on pace to hit 45 HR if he had played 150 games as he had the year before.

In 2015 he hit 27 HR in just 74 games. Double that to a normal 148 games and he had a 54 HR season. Last season was not a fluke for Stanton.
    In 2014, he hit 37 HR over 145 games / 539 AB. I just don't see 50+ HR a year as sustainable without help (i.e. PED's, juiced ball, etc). With the exception of Babe Ruth, the history of the game tells us so.

Do I think he can do it again? Sure, but I don't have an expectation that he's going to do it consistently, and I believe anyone who does might be setting their expectations a little too high. Hence why I believe I'm being realistic when I say I'd be ecstatic if he can give us 40 HR consistently.

In 2014, he hit 37 HR over 145 games / 539 AB. I just don't see 50+ HR a year as sustainable without help (i.e. PED's, juiced ball, etc). With the exception of Babe Ruth, the history of the game tells us so.

Do I think he can do it again? Sure, but I don't have an expectation that he's going to do it consistently, and I believe anyone who does might be setting their expectations a little too high. Hence why I believe I'm being realistic when I say I'd be ecstatic if he can give us 40 HR consistently.
    Fair points.

History certainly says it can be done more than once - Foxx, Junior Griffey, Kiner, Mantle, Mays. Mays also had 49 and 47 HR seasons, and missed 2 seasons to military service. Fox had a 48 HR season back when it was only a 154 game schedule. Mantle missed 136 games in the 2 years after he hit 54. He was the first to say he could have accomplished a lot more if not for his alcoholism and if he had taken better care of his body. Players do take better care of their bodies these days. Killebrew sustained a 45-HR level (5 times), showing that a high level close to 50 can be sustained. If a player has 50-HR power as Stanton has shown twice, why can't he sustain it at his peak if healthy?

Ruth certainly showed that it can be sustained. Maybe Stanton is in fact a Ruthian kind of player.He's certainly built for it. To think there would be another such player in a century isn't outrageous.

NYYF Legend

Joel Sherman‏ @Joelsherman1 29s30 seconds ago
    Mattingly called Stanton a "no-maintenance player." Said always ready to play, said if he handles business on field well, all will be OK in NY. #Marlins #Yankees
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Cy Young

Stanton also changed his stance in the middle of this season and the results speak for themselves. I donít see why he wouldnít be a 50+ homer hitter instead of 40+, especially in the most homer friendly ballpark in the AL.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gian...d-trending-up/

Addicted Member

Does MLB care more about the pitchers feeling or the ratings?

I think before MLB used juiced balls they knew pitchers would hate it...MLB didn't care.

I'm going to be blunt: Jeter has proven himself to be a world-class hypocrite when it comes to the way he deals with people now that he's in a position of power.

When he was a player, he was uber-sensitive about being treated with respect. Couldn't find it in him to forgive A-Rod when he felt slighted in an interview. Continues to hold a grudge against the Yankees because Cashman told him to test the free agent market when Jeter expected to be paid like a superstar even when he was a shell of what he used to be.

Yet, when it came to Andre Dawson, Tony Perez and Jeff Conine, he fired them through a 3rd party - didn't even have the courage to do it himself. Then, he tried to hire them back at a fraction of their previous salaries - again, without even communicating with them directly. He fired a scout who was in the hospital recovering from cancer. He told the world he was going to trade Stanton, yet not once did he feel the need to treat Stanton with respect and discuss the matter with him before going public.

He's getting a lot of flak right now and quite frankly, he deserves all of it.
    I totally agree with this. In fact, I'm not really digging any of the recent ex-yankees that are currently in the media. Jeter is coming off as a douche, Tex seems to be saying whatever he thinks he needs to say to get attention, and ARod is just a buffoon (though, interestingly, probably the least offensive of the bunch). The Jeter thing, though, is really surprising and awful.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Addicted Member

In 2014 Stanton played 144 games batting 3rd and hit 37 homers.

In 2014 the Number 4 spot in Miamis lineup in 162 games...629 at bats...Produced 6 homeruns

Chris McGehee had 491 of those at bats and hit 4 hr

He probably hits 50 that year if he had any lineup protection no?

He hit 37 when the pitcher new the guy battting 4th couldn't take him deep.

Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post

In 2014 the Number 4 spot in Miamis lineup in 162 games...629 at bats...Produced 6 homeruns

Nice info! Thanks!
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    It's going to be so, so corny.

"That ball is hit deep to left! It is high, it is far, it. is. GONE! STANTON HOME RUN'S FIVE MILES LONG, OH DOO-DAH DAY!
    At least we won't have to hear oh sorry it looked deep enough to go out, but from where I'm sitting it's tough to see lol

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    At least we won't have to hear oh sorry it looked deep enough to go out, but from where I'm sitting it's tough to see lol
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post

Well, what can I say?

Seems many of you have very lofty expectations and I would love nothing more than to see Stanton put up unprecedented numbers, but that's precisely what many of you are expecting if you think he's going to consistently hit 50 HR a year without the benefit of PEDs or a juiced ball.

To put it into perspective, only Babe Ruth did it 4 times under those circumstances.

Well, what can I say?

Seems many of you have very lofty expectations and I would love nothing more than to see Stanton put up unprecedented numbers, but that's precisely what many of you are expecting if you think he's going to consistently hit 50 HR a year without the benefit of PEDs or a juiced ball.

To put it into perspective, only Babe Ruth did it 4 times under those circumstances.
    I would be thrilled with 40 from him batting behind AJ (who hits 50 )
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Thread Information