+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 75 FirstFirst ... 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 73 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Shed? Castro was a net positive by any objective measure, regardless of how frustrating he can be to watch. A 2 WAR player for $9MM is a steal.
    Dealing Castro made room for Torres. Yes, I agree Castro was of value but I have no regrets seeing him go because it made it that much easier to get Torres a permanent roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Yeah. I just don't believe we couldn't have moved separately earlier in the season. He is making very little in AAV.
    Right, if we needed to "shed" Castro we could have, or he could be the DH right now with Gleyber at 2nd.

I'm not trashing the trade, but the only upside to it is Stanton's bat being all time great. If that's not the case it will be a terrible move.

It probably costs us the opportunity for Bryce Harper who is a significantly better player AND if Stanton has a mediocre or worse year we could have had the same production from internal players with extra payroll flexibility.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Right, if we needed to "shed" Castro we could have, or he could be the DH right now with Gleyber at 2nd.

I'm not trashing the trade, but the only upside to it is Stanton's bat being all time great. If that's not the case it will be a terrible move.

It probably costs us the opportunity for Bryce Harper who is a significantly better player AND if Stanton has a mediocre or worse year we could have had the same production from internal players with extra payroll flexibility.
    Harper could command as much as double the salary as Stanton. Is Harper twice the player? I'm betting no way. He's off the a slow start, he's notoriously streaky and I am willing to bet that he carries us for a month over the summer.

Please explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Harper could command as much as double the salary as Stanton. Is Harper twice the player? I'm betting no way. He's off the a slow start, he's notoriously streaky and I am willing to bet that he carries us for a month over the summer.
    Sure, let me clarify again that I'm not trashing the trade. My point is Stanton needs to be Stanton for the trade to be a good one. (I was ecstatic at the time) There's no "bonus points" on the trade for dealing Castro's contract. It's simply a matter of whether or not Stanton is an elite hitter. If he's not going forward it was a terrible trade. If he is going forward then it was a good trade.

NYYF Legend

Sure, let me clarify again that I'm not trashing the trade. My point is Stanton needs to be Stanton for the trade to be a good one. (I was ecstatic at the time) There's no "bonus points" on the trade for dealing Castro's contract. It's simply a matter of whether or not Stanton is an elite hitter. If he's not going forward it was a terrible trade. If he is going forward then it was a good trade.
    It's not bonus points, but to me we opening a spot for Torres was an added bonus of the trade. After a month, we won't be able to determine what Stanton is. Based on track record though I'm willing to bet on him.

Back to my question about Harper vs Stanton. Is Harper twice the player Stanton is?

It's not bonus points, but to me we opening a spot for Torres was an added bonus of the trade.
    It's not really an added bonus though because if we didn't trade for Stanton we could probably have traded Castro for something useful, even if it was just a fringe prospect.

After a month, we won't be able to determine what Stanton is. Based on track record though I'm willing to bet on him.
    Of course not and fair enough.

Back to my question about Harper vs Stanton. Is Harper twice the player Stanton is?
    Heck no, obviously.

NYYF Legend

Confirmed. Murdering lefties.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Who knows what Harper will get. Harper is a savage though. He is the most feared hitter in baseball IMO. If the Yankees have to choose between Harper and Stanton I hope its harper. trade Stanton to LA. Preferably It would be nice to have both. Just throwing out scenarios. Stantons nice though, I think hes great. And I agree with your hypothetical bet
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

On pace for 59 HRs this year.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    If He hits that many homeruns, Im willing to bet he will have a nice average and OBP total as well
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Ha, this isnt even his final form
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    If He hits that many homeruns, Im willing to bet he will have a nice average and OBP total as well
    His OBP and BA are currently higher than Sanchez.

Designated for Assignment

He is going to be such a treat to watch when he gets hot over a long stretch.

And I never ragged on Stanton throughout his struggles. His track record speaks for itself. He's not the first superstar to come to New York and struggle at the outset because he's pressing too hard. Just needed time to adjust like most do. Hopefully tonight is a sign of good things to come.

What's crazy is this lineup has yet to fire on all cylinders. When they do, look out.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    He is going to be such a treat to watch when he gets hot over a long stretch.

And I never ragged on Stanton throughout his struggles. His track record speaks for itself. He's not the first superstar to come to New York and struggle at the outset because he's pressing too hard. Just needed time to adjust like most do. Hopefully tonight is a sign of good things to come.

What's crazy is this lineup has yet to fire on all cylinders. When they do, look out.
    I do find it interesting his splits against RHP/LHP. I think he will make a small adjustment vs. righties and really start to take off.

edit: on que he smacks a RBI double into right against a righty. Needs to do that more often.

NYYF Legend

Great sign getting that 2B against a righty.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Do you mean 39?

If Stanton can be a Keuchel-killer, that alone may be worth it to not have to watch that guy dominate us every time out there.

Great job today from the big guy

Great to see some signs of life. Hopefully this is the start of him taking off.

NYYF Legend

After the game, per Hoch: "There are breakout nights, but you've got to go back to the drawing board and get it going. You need breakout weeks. One day ain't going to do it."
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Like that quote.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    After the game, per Hoch: "There are breakout nights, but you've got to go back to the drawing board and get it going. You need breakout weeks. One day ain't going to do it."
    Glad he's not resting on his laurels. He realizes he has more work to do.

NYYF Legend

Predictable, in a good way.

NYYF Legend

He's an interesting interview:
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide...2001681483&v=3

Him getting annoyed around 2:30 @ the derivative BS questions is great.
    Calmer than you are

Hopefully that buys him a boo-free weekend at least.

Yeah, he is really not seeing the ball well from righties but when he figures that out and gets locked in (and he will), the lineup will be unfair.

Thread Information