+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Youíre not allowed to punish someone for exercising his contractual rights.

Billy Martin didn't need much of a reason to bury someone
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sure, you can play him according to his abilities and the teamís on-Field needs. What you canít do is, "Well, if he won't waive his NTC, bury him at the end of the bench and see how he likes it." That was the suggestion.

Well actually you can, but it hurts the team to take a roster spot for that. If it came to that, it would be better to just DFA him and eat the money.

Mike Lowell said something pretty smart I thought on the MLB network last night, he commented that he thought that being that far down the depth chart would make any player, especially one used to being an every day player, quite miserable. He mentioned that it is not like you have to waive the NTC for every team or no teams, so he could do what Stanton did, give the Yankees a list of teams he'd waive for. This way he can avoid going to a situation he does not like, or a losing team. It's not like he has to waive for all of the 29 other teams. He can literally pick his destination based on a team's competitiveness and chances to make the playoffs in his mind, geography, playing time etc...
    I just can't believe that he'd rather ride the pine as the most expensive pinch runner/defensive replacement in history for the Yankees than get a chance to play somewhere else, especially when he can really choose where somewhere else actually is..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

You’re not allowed to punish someone for exercising his contractual rights.
    No, I'd punish him because he's our 6th best outfielder (yes, I have Frazier ahead of him on the depth chart) and would begin treating him as such rather than continue to give him playing time because of past merits and contractual obligations. If he has any pride, he'll come around and ask for a trade so he can contribute somewhere else.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Billy Martin didn't need much of a reason to bury someone
    Just ask Kenny Holtzman.

If Ellsbury won't provide a list of teams he will be traded to then what do you think Hicks is worth in a trade? Maybe last year was Hicks best year ever and we sell high.

Move Gardner to CF with Ellsbury as his back up and play Judge and Stanton in RF and LF

Not sold on Hicks, Cash has man crush on him though. Guy can't last a whole season since he has been here. More hypes then anything else. Rather see Frazier as 4th OF.

Sure, you can play him according to his abilities and the teamís on-Field needs. What you canít do is, "Well, if he won't waive his NTC, bury him at the end of the bench and see how he likes it." That was the suggestion.
    Of course you can bury him on the bench and not play him. Just because you have a contract that does not guarantee you playing time, that is at the behest of the team. Nothing Ellsbury or anyone else can do if team decides he's going to become a dugout ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Just ask Kenny Holtzman.
    Still PO that Bowie vetoed the Vida Blue trade as Charley O from A's had dump sale in 76.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankees72 View Post
    Not sold on Hicks, Cash has man crush on him though. Guy can't last a whole season since he has been here. More hypes then anything else. Rather see Frazier as 4th OF.
    Not sold on Hicks either. Had a great start to the season but reverted back to his old self after returning from the DL in August/September. .215 AVG in 97 AB during that time.

Sell high, move Gardner to CF and use Frazier as your 4th OF.

Hicks is so overrated by Brian. Guy is made of glass at times (as is Elsbury) who cannot last whole year. Yanks need to hold on to Frazier.

Not sold on Hicks either. Had a great start to the season but reverted back to his old self after returning from the DL in August/September. .215 AVG in 97 AB during that time.

Reverted back? those are his usual numbers since he's been here. Brian hypes him up as 5 tool player like he's Mantle.

Still PO that Bowie vetoed the Vida Blue trade as Charley O from A's had dump sale in 76.

Kuhn was a hypocritical piece of trash. He kept hiding behind the "best interests of baseball" excuse to nix an unprecedented amout of trades, yet he crapped all over the best interests of baseball when it came to his terrible record of labor unrest during his tenure.

Of note: he screwed both the Yankees and Reds with Vida Blue, the Red Sox with Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi, and screwed the Yankees again in 1981 with Jason Thompson - a trade that very well may have made the difference in the '81 World Series vs. the Dodgers.

Reverted back? those are his usual numbers since he's been here. Brian hypes him up as 5 tool player like he's Mantle.
    Reverted back compared to what he did during April/May/June.

No question Hicks has the physical tools to be an good ML player but I'm not sure about his desire. From what I've read, Hicks is a scratch golfer and thats he real passion.

I would also sell high.

Reverted back compared to what he did during April/May/June.
    That was a 3 month tease. He was a hot waiver wire pick-up though in fantasy baseball. Sell him high instead of Frazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    No question Hicks has the physical tools to be an good ML player but I'm not sure about his desire. From what I've read, Hicks is a scratch golfer and thats he real passion.

I would also sell high.
    I've read the same thing.
    Additionally, he just turned 28. At this point, you kind of have to accept that he is who he is.

Kuhn was a hypocritical piece of trash. He kept hiding behind the "best interests of baseball" excuse to nix an unprecedented amout of trades, yet he crapped all over the best interests of baseball when it came to his terrible record of labor unrest during his tenure.

Of note: he screwed both the Yankees and Reds with Vida Blue, the Red Sox with Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi, and screwed the Yankees again in 1981 with Jason Thompson - a trade that very well may have made the difference in the '81 World Series vs. the Dodgers.

I remember when Billy wanted Rudi in 77 instead of Reggie.

I've read the same thing.
    Additionally, he just turned 28. At this point, you kind of have to accept that he is who he is.
    Maddening inconsistent like Pineda.

No, I'd punish him because he's our 6th best outfielder (yes, I have Frazier ahead of him on the depth chart) and would begin treating him as such rather than continue to give him playing time because of past merits and contractual obligations. If he has any pride, he'll come around and ask for a trade so he can contribute somewhere else.
    Where he is on the depth chart will be decided in spring training. I think that Ellsbury will be important if Hicks or Gardner is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed View Post
    Of course you can bury him on the bench and not play him. Just because you have a contract that does not guarantee you playing time, that is at the behest of the team. Nothing Ellsbury or anyone else can do if team decides he's going to become a dugout ornament.
    The union can file a grievance if it looks like heís being punished, just like in any other business.

Where he is on the depth chart will be decided in spring training. I think that Ellsbury will be important if Hicks or Gardner is injured.
    I guess this is where we differ. You're expecting that he'll still be a part of this ball club come spring training.

I want him and as much of his salary off of this roster before spring training. If we have to give up Frazier to accommodate Ellsbury, that would be criminal.

The union can file a grievance if it looks like he’s being punished, just like in any other business.
    On what grounds can the union file a grievance if he's not getting playing time because he's just not a very good ballplayer anymore and the team has better options?

In the past, the Yankees have given him plenty of rope because of his past merits and salary. They are not obliged to do so moving forward if he's going to make things difficult on the ballclub.

NYYF Legend

The union can file a grievance if it looks like heís being punished, just like in any other business.

The Union can file a grievance for anything they want to, but if the grievance is for a player who cannot pull his own worth, it is extremely doubtful that it would be upheld, especially for a 34 year old player who has underperformed for at least the past three years, and when it is obvious that the Yankees are embarking on a youth movement with C Frazier having great potential

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Oh please, there is no basis for such action, Yankees don't owe him playing time, they owe him his salary. Guess the union should go after the Marlins for threatening Stanton with having to play the rest of his career in Miami. That was clear punishment.

Seattle just brought in De Gordon to swap into center field. To bad the Yankees didn't offer Ellsbury with a few dollars.
    If Gardner brings back something worth while I'd move him and use Ellsbury as the swing out fielder. I like Gardner but he is not proficient in the lead off anymore so if there's value for him take it.

Doc

Thread Information