+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 402
  1. #51

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It's his right to exercise his no trade clause, just like Stanton.
    This.

    Let's not be hypocritical.

  2. #52

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    I have never been a fan of the person Ellsbury but i think he can do a decent job playing everyday somewhere. I really think put in the right place without prerssure he could be a everyday player somewhere. just imo.

  3. #53
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It's his right to exercise his no trade clause, just like Stanton.
    He does. And we have the right to not play him.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

    Totus Tuus

  4. #54

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    This.

    Let's not be hypocritical.
    Well, Stanton approved four teams he would allow himself to be dealt to, let's see Ellsbury do that.

  5. #55
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    I have never been a fan of the person Ellsbury but i think he can do a decent job playing everyday somewhere. I really think put in the right place without prerssure he could be a everyday player somewhere. just imo.
    He's an about average hitter and decent CF. If he was a FA, he'd be getting about 3/30 IMO
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  6. #56
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    He does. And we have the right to not play him.
    It seems he's fine with it.

  7. #57
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Meh. Even if we disqualify Rogers for being a Kenny rather than a Ken, I can immediately think of Holtzman and Raffensberger who were better. Heintzelman is very close as well.
    I was thinking of Holtzman. I'll disqualify Rogers on the further grounds of loathing him, but you might have a point on Raffensberger.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  8. #58
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    I can understand hating the contract the Yankees signed him to, but they already made that mistake. But put that aside, and I think he's a perfectly decent bench player.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  9. #59
    NYYF Legend

    BomberBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Eastchester, NY

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    I get that he doesnít want to leave when he looks at the roster and he has a shot to play for a World Series contender every year to close out his career. Iím sure he wants a crack to win back the CF job.

    With that said, he might become more agreeable to a deal near the trade deadline if he fails in that endeavor.

  10. #60

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    He's an about average hitter and decent CF. If he was a FA, he'd be getting about 3/30 IMO
    Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Jacoby Ellsbury with a 2018 WAR of 0.3 in 231 plate appearances:

    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...27&position=OF

    This year 0.3 fWAR was valued at about $2.7 million. Even in the unlikely event the 34-year-old projects full-time duty over the next three seasons, I doubt a club would view Ellsbury as being worth $30 million over three years.

    Baseball Reference projects Ellsbury will a 2018 line of .255/.327/.381/.708 in 412 plate appearances:

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...llsbja01.shtml

    Even if he waived his no-trade clause, the Yankees are unlikely to move Ellsbury without tapping into their deep farm system to package Ellsbury with prospects who have significant surplus value.

  11. #61
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Jacoby Ellsbury with a 2018 WAR of 0.3 in 231 plate appearances:

    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...27&position=OF

    This year 0.3 fWAR was valued at about $2.7 million. Even in the unlikely event the 34-year-old projects full-time duty over the next three seasons, I doubt a club would view Ellsbury as being worth $30 million over three years.

    Baseball Reference projects Ellsbury will a 2018 line of .255/.327/.381/.708 in 412 plate appearances:

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...llsbja01.shtml

    Even if he waived his no-trade clause, the Yankees are unlikely to move Ellsbury without tapping into their deep farm system to package Ellsbury with prospects who have significant surplus value.
    I definitely think that Cashman would be willing to package one or two lower tier prospects if Ellsbury agrees to waive his no trade. Freeing up another $10M cap space would be huge for the team. It gives Cashman a lot more flexibility in roster construction.

  12. #62

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    It's just crazy to me that you'd be ok getting 100-200 PA in a year. You're getting paid regardless.

  13. #63
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Jacoby Ellsbury with a 2018 WAR of 0.3 in 231 plate appearances:

    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...27&position=OF

    This year 0.3 fWAR was valued at about $2.7 million. Even in the unlikely event the 34-year-old projects full-time duty over the next three seasons, I doubt a club would view Ellsbury as being worth $30 million over three years.

    Baseball Reference projects Ellsbury will a 2018 line of .255/.327/.381/.708 in 412 plate appearances:

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...llsbja01.shtml

    Even if he waived his no-trade clause, the Yankees are unlikely to move Ellsbury without tapping into their deep farm system to package Ellsbury with prospects who have significant surplus value.
    231 PA. Whoever signs him as the hypothetical FA wouldn't sign him for 4th OF duty. If someone wanted a CF, he's major league quality, probably about average and probably good for +1 WAR over a season, maybe a little more. Plus it would be a short commitment (3 years)

    League average aren't cheap. They're better than half the players in baseball . I still think he could get 3/24 to 3/30
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  14. #64

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    231 PA. Whoever signs him as the hypothetical FA wouldn't sign him for 4th OF duty. If someone wanted a CF, he's major league quality, probably about average and probably good for +1 WAR over a season, maybe a little more. Plus it would be a short commitment (3 years)

    League average aren't cheap. They're better than half the players in baseball . I still think he could get 3/24 to 3/30
    Steamer600, which assumes 600 plate appearances in 142 games for each hitter, projects Jacoby Ellsbury with a 2018 WAR of 0.7 (which this year was valued at about $5.8 million):

    http://www.fangraphs.com/projections...g=all&players=

    Three years might not be a long commitment for a 28-year-old but it's long for the 34-year-old Ellsbury whose skill set might not age well.

  15. #65

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    This situation worries me a bit. I don't see an obvious trade partner that's willing to take him for more than pennies. Looking at the FA market you can get an OF that's roughly as good as Ellsbury and younger for less than 3 years and not much money. And if Jacoby is hell bent on winning a job in ST any money teams have to spend will be gone by the time he softens his stance on the NTC.

  16. #66

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Iíd rather just keep Ellsbury and trade Gardner without giving up any prospects.

    Ellsbury at least can still play a decent center field which is valuable given the fact that Hicks is injury prone.

  17. #67

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Iíd rather just keep Ellsbury and trade Gardner without giving up any prospects.

    Ellsbury at least can still play a decent center field which is valuable given the fact that Hicks is injury prone.
    There is no logical reason to be paying anyone $22 million a year to be a 5th OF.

    Eat whatever it takes to get him off this roster and move on.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  18. #68
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    There is no logical reason to be paying anyone $22 million a year to be a 5th OF.

    Eat whatever it takes to get him off this roster and move on.
    Plus, Ellsbury is injury-prone.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

  19. #69

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Plus, Ellsbury is injury-prone.
    But since he'll hardly play, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

  20. #70

    Talking Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    There is no logical reason to be paying anyone $22 million a year to be a 5th OF.

    Eat whatever it takes to get him off this roster and move on.
    If reports are true, ells wouldnt waive his NTC anyways. So all the talk of eating $ is relatively mootright now.

  21. #71

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    If reports are true, ells wouldnt waive his NTC anyways. So all the talk of eating $ is relatively mootright now.
    No problem, if he won't waive his NTC then move him all the way down to 6th in the OF depth chart and completely bury him. If that's how much pride he has, then never let him play again.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  22. #72
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    No problem, if he won't waive his NTC then move him all the way down to 6th in the OF depth chart and completely bury him. If that's how much pride he has, then never let him play again.
    Youíre not allowed to punish someone for exercising his contractual rights.

  23. #73
    Life is good
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Youíre not allowed to punish someone for exercising his contractual rights.
    I donít think you need to punish him to not play him much. Unless he plays lights out in spring training and/or Hicks gets hurt (both possible) he is our fifth outfielder and as such would likely be a highly paid pinch runner and maybe start once in awhile to spot Hicks.
    you are your own happiness

  24. #74
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I donít think you need to punish him to not play him much. Unless he plays lights out in spring training and/or Hicks gets hurt (both possible) he is our fifth outfielder and as such would likely be a highly paid pinch runner and maybe start once in awhile to spot Hicks.
    Sure, you can play him according to his abilities and the teamís on-Field needs. What you canít do is, "Well, if he won't waive his NTC, bury him at the end of the bench and see how he likes it." That was the suggestion.

  25. #75
    Life is good
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Hunt for an Ellsbury Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Sure, you can play him according to his abilities and the teamís on-Field needs. What you canít do is, "Well, if he won't waive his NTC, bury him at the end of the bench and see how he likes it." That was the suggestion.
    Agreed. I was just pointing out that provided no changes to the current outlook, you can treat him the correct way and the effect will be similar. But if he goes out and earns more, canít just ignore it
    you are your own happiness

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts