+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

1.To contend with the 'Super teams' that have 2 dominant SPs like Houston, Cubs,LA etc.

2.I don't believe Gray is a truly dominant pitcher. Stuff is strong but has a tendency to nibble. Mental make up to me makes him a pretty good but not shutdown guy like the Verlanders and Kuechels

3.Tanaka can be but has been a bit up and down and is an injury risk as he ages

4. CC while a true warrior is well past prime and likely at best gives us about 5 now with a couple runs given up.

5. We missed out on Ohtahni who had big-time potential to be another shutdown ace

So with the reasons listed above my plan would be this:

1. Do not resign CC

2.Get Darvish or Arrietta (preferably Darv)

Projected 2018 Rotation: Darvish/Arrietta, Severino, Tanaka, Grey, Montgomery (Green long guy)

Hope is eternal

Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    1.To contend with the 'Super teams' that have 2 dominant SPs like Houston, Cubs,LA etc.

2.I don't believe Gray is a truly dominant pitcher. Stuff is strong but has a tendency to nibble. Mental make up to me makes him a pretty good but not shutdown guy like the Verlanders and Kuechels

3.Tanaka can be but has been a bit up and down and is an injury risk as he ages

4. CC while a true warrior is well past prime and likely at best gives us about 5 now with a couple runs given up.

5. We missed out on Ohtahni who had big-time potential to be another shutdown ace

So with the reasons listed above my plan would be this:

1. Do not resign CC

2.Get Darvish or Arrietta (preferably Darv)

Projected 2018 Rotation: Darvish/Arrietta, Severino, Tanaka, Grey, Montgomery (Green long guy)
    Will not happen. Hal will not do this as we would have no way to get below the luxury tax level. Yanks would have to create room before even thinking about this.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Will not happen. Hal will not do this as we would have no way to get below the luxury tax level. Yanks would have to create room before even thinking about this.
    I mean, if they traded Gardner and Headley, they probably could. But not sure they go that route.

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    I mean, if they traded Gardner and Headley, they probably could. But not sure they go that route.
    That is the only way and beyomd that I don’t think either player is worth what they will get

In terms of garanteed salary commitments we only have 7 according to Sportrac:

Guaranteed Contracts

Stanton: $25M
    Masahiro Tanaka: $22.14M
    Jacoby Ellsbury: $21.86M
    Aroldis Chapman: $17.2M
    David Robertson: $13M
    Chase Headley: $13M
    Brett Gardner: $11.72M

The Yankees are shedding Sabathia’s contract ($25M annually for luxury tax purposes) as well as Matt Holliday‘s pricey one-year commitment ($13M) after the season. Also we shed Starlins $9.5M and will have $3M AAV shed off GCS contract. Michael Pineda ($7.4M), Todd Frazier ($12M pro-rated), Jaime Garcia ($12M pro-rated), and Chris Carter ($3M) are among the smaller commitments coming off the books as well. All told, roughly $52M worth of veterans will be leaving the luxury tax payroll this offseason, not counting Tanaka.

Hope is eternal

You are not including benefits and such plus arbitration boosts to out arbitration eligible players. With Stanton we have about $15-18 million to spend to remain under. Darvish and Arrieta (have zero interest in Arrieta at any price) will get far more. I would rather see what Adams or Sheffield can do amd save that money for the July deadline

Hard, hard pass on Arrieta. Do not want him at all. Especially for the money he'll command.

Between Headley and Ellsbury. Between the 2 of them as some have suggested perhaps Cash can do pure salary dumps to another team with taken on some salary (obviously more in Ells case if he waives the no trade to certain teams).

Head might be moveable at somewhat close to his salary without a big return.

Less desirable but if necessary with our plethora of quality relievers, Drob at 13mill could probably be easily moved as well.

The money could be made for Yu with some more creativity by Cashman. If anyone can find a way to pull this off it's him.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Hard, hard pass on Arrieta. Do not want him at all. Especially for the money he'll command.
    ^^^This X 1000^^^
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Suspended

Darvish got lit up in the playoffs. We shouldn't be signing any SPs. Use the insane amount of depth we have to trade for a SP with immense upside and control.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Darvish got lit up in the playoffs. We shouldn't be signing any SPs. Use the insane amount of depth we have to trade for a SP with immense upside and control.
    Not that I'm advocating signing Darvish, but that doesn't mean anything. Kershaw doesn't have the best playoff stats. Would you still not want him?

That being said, I can see the Yankees signing someone like a Cobb or Lynn. Tier 2 pitchers.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Not that I'm advocating signing Darvish, but that doesn't mean anything. Kershaw doesn't have the best playoff stats. Would you still not want him?

That being said, I can see the Yankees signing someone like a Cobb or Lynn. Tier 2 pitchers.
    I'm more responding to the OPs notion of having a 'shutdown pitcher.'. Any of these guys get litup. Kluber for instance. Signing Darvish doesn't lock in amaziness for the playoffs.

Yogi Buck

Arrietta and Darvish are the two best pitchers out there.

I would love Arrietta at the top of our rotation with Severino, but Darvish doesn't cost anything but money.

You better move Gardner and/or someone prior to making the deal otherwise other teams will drive up the price to "HELP" the Yankees get under the cap.

It's hard to move salary's after the season starts anyhow as most people tend to max out their budget.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

How about we trade for Bumgarner in a deal involving Gardner and some prospects not named Torres and Andujar? Is there any way the Giants bite?

Quote Originally Posted by derekc View Post
    How about we trade for Bumgarner in a deal involving Gardner and some prospects not named Torres and Andujar? Is there any way the Giants bite?
    ehhh not likely. Giants are looking to compete.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by derekc View Post
    Works for me if you can get the Giants to trade maybe their best pitcher since Juan Marichal.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The Yanks got to within 1 game of the WS and have added what amounts to the best FA since ARod signed with Texas.

The staff will be fine as is or with a tweak or two.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The Yanks got to within 1 game of the WS and have added what amounts to the best FA since ARod signed with Texas.

The staff will be fine as is or with a tweak or two.
    Need another ace at the top.

Moves everybody else down one slot.

Either they are going for it or they are going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    ehhh not likely. Giants are looking to compete.
    Not sure what they can do now, though. They lost out on Otani and Stanton.

Chance Adams is the answer
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Yogi Buck

So who of these guys are available.

Rank
    Pitcher
    1Clayton Kershaw - 1st - 7th
    2Max Scherzer 1st
    3Corey Kluber 4th
    4Chris Sale 1st
    5Madison Bumgarner 1st - 10th overall
    6Stephen Strasburg - 1st - 1st overall
    7Luis Severino - IFA
    8Jacob deGrom - 9th (converted into a pitcher his jr year at Stetson)
    9Zack Greinke - 1st - 6th
    10Nah Syndergaard 1st
    11Justin Verlander - 1st (2nd overall)
    12Carlos Carrasco
    13Yu Darvish Japan IFA
    14Aaron Nola - 1st - 7th
    15Zack Godley
    16James Paxton
    17Chris Archer
    18Carlos Martinez
    19Jake Arrieta
    20Luis Castillo
    21Robbie Ray
    22Luke Weaver
    23Michael Fulmer
    24David Price
    25Dallas Keuchel
    26Jose Berrios
    27Sonny Gray
    28Masahiro Tanaka

29Alex Wood
    30Chase Anderson
    31Jon Lester
    32Rich Hill
    33Jose Quintana
    34Lance McCullers
    35Garrett Richards
    36Jameson Taillon
    37Gerrit Cole
    38Trevor Bauer
    39Patrick Corbin
    40Brad Peacock
    41Kyle Hendricks
    42Marcus Stroman
    43Danny Duffy
    44Danny Salazar
    45Aaron Sanchez
    46Collin McHugh
    47Charlie Morton
    48Jon Gray
    49Mike Clevinger
    50Jordan Montgomery
    Last edited by budstinks; 12-10-17 at 08:39 AM.

You know gray Tanaka and sevy are gonna be there. Monty should be there. I’d give Adams the other spot
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Chance Adams is the answer
    I hope so. But I'm looking for a #1. I'd prefer to try him as a #5 and see how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    I hope so. But I'm looking for a #1. I'd prefer to try him as a #5 and see how he does.
    Severino and Tanaka

Adams can be dominant when he reaches his ceiling

Thread Information