+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Seriously, Hamels goes to HOU and is suddenly Randy Johnson.. It's simply because under the close examining of extremely accurate frame by frame video taken by a camera that only exists in Houston, they determined that if he releases the ball 0.0000001 seconds earlier and at an angle one half of one degree off to the side of where he releases it now, he will gain 7 MPH on his heater and have a curve that Sandy Koufax would be jealous of..

And I'm the next pope...

You can't be. The next pope will be female

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    You can't be. The next pope will be female

Andy
    Pope Connie Francis I
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Pope Connie Francis I

I like that

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Unhappy Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Supposedly There was a report out of Texas
    that the Yanks and Rangers were discussing a Cole Hamels deal

Yanks would get Hamels
    Rangers would get Chance Adams and Thairo Estrada

Other trade rumors in the AL involve Kelvin Herrera, the Royals closer (Boston and Houston the top two teams in the running). I also wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners (who are surprise contenders so far) traded for someone like Jose Abreu from the White Sox to bolster their lineup with Cano suspended

Here's why a contender would want Hamels: In four starts from April 30 to May 22, he faced the Indians, Red Sox, Astros, and Yankees. In 24 innings, he had a 1.88 ERA and .161 batting average against. Hamels is more than willing to give up his no-trade provision for the chance to pitch in the playoff hunt. At 34, Hamels is still very good. His $23 million salary and $6 million buyout of an option for 2019 becomes an issue. But his salary will only be half that by the trade deadline. He's well worth the investment and it looks like the Yankees could be interested.

What if Yanks had traded for Verlander?

Hamels, the 2008 NLCS and World Series MVP for the Phillies , faced the Yankees one week ago, giving up two runs in seven innings of work, leading the Rangers to a 6-4 victory .

For half-season salary of Hamels for this year and a possible option next as well it probably isn't a bad idea to trade Chance. I don't think he is crap or anything, but he seems similar to Mateo in that you trade him for assets that has a solid chance of being an average or better acquisition for a playoff push. If Hamels simply becomes a trustworthy #3 with the potential to rise to #2 with luck, that will greatly help the current Yankees situation even with the price tag.

Right now he's still in the top-100 prospect status but it is becoming more and more likely that he's not going to be a starter, and I never thought I'd say this but with Torreyes showing he can be a solid UTL and Drury available with Torres/Didi in the IF, an Estrada/Wade seems dispensable.

NYYF Legend

Chance Adams, Josh Rogers (who the Rangers reportedly like even more than Adams), and Luis Cessa for Cole Hamels. If the Rangers would kick in $6M (Yanks can give it to Hamels to waive his NTC and use towards a 2019 club option or buyout), Yanks kick in Tyler Austin.

If I'm the Yanks or the Rangers, I do that deal today.

Rangers come out with a very nice haul, all the players are expendable to the Yanks, and Hamels is a perfect #3 behind Severino and Tanaka in a short best-of-five series.

I don't label him as a "dominant" SP, but he certainly checks all the boxes for me.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I just hope we reset the cap regardless of the deals we make.

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    I just hope we reset the cap regardless of the deals we make.
    Thereís almost no way we can possibly go over.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Chance Adams, Josh Rogers (who the Rangers reportedly like even more than Adams), and Luis Cessa for Cole Hamels. If the Rangers would kick in $6M (Yanks can give it to Hamels to waive his NTC and use towards a 2019 club option or buyout), Yanks kick in Tyler Austin.

If I'm the Yanks or the Rangers, I do that deal today.

Rangers come out with a very nice haul, all the players are expendable to the Yanks, and Hamels is a perfect #3 behind Severino and Tanaka in a short best-of-five series.

I don't label him as a "dominant" SP, but he certainly checks all the boxes for me.
    Because of the salary there is no Hamels trade I'd make "today." With less than 2 months to go until the deadline the Yankees should wait it out both to take on less of Hamel's salary and to see what else becomes available. Unless they're certain that Hamels is the best they can do and have the salaries sorted out it makes no sense to jump the gun on that.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Because of the salary there is no Hamels trade I'd make "today." With less than 2 months to go until the deadline the Yankees should wait it out both to take on less of Hamel's salary and to see what else becomes available. Unless they're certain that Hamels is the best they can do and have the salaries sorted out it makes no sense to jump the gun on that.
    It really doesnít seem like anyone will be available. Rays probably wonít trade to us and the Giants are too close to first place to trade Bumgarner. I really donít foresee a pitcher better than Hamels coming available. Figures there are always good pitchers available and the year we really need one the options are more limited than ever. I really wish Seattle was a worse team and Paxton was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    It really doesn’t seem like anyone will be available. Rays probably won’t trade to us and the Giants are too close to first place to trade Bumgarner. I really don’t foresee a pitcher better than Hamels coming available. Figures there are always good pitchers available and the year we really need one the options are more limited than ever. I really wish Seattle was a worse team and Paxton was available.
    Hamels has been one heck of a big game pitcher throughout his career. I like his mental make up significantly more than Gray.

Significantly more.

It will at least somewhat make up for missing out on the 'other ' Cole.

He also depending on which Tanaka we get in Sept could be our #2 right after Sevy in the playoffs. Thats significant.

The Giants are have a -43 run differential; they suck. They're also old with no farm system. They should, but probably won't put Bumgarner on the market because they seem to enjoy making bad decisions lately.

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Hamels has been one heck of a big game pitcher throughout his career. I like his mental make up significantly more than Gray.

Significantly more.

It will at least somewhat make up for missing out on the 'other ' Cole.

He also depending on which Tanaka we get in Sept could be our #2 right after Sevy in the playoffs. Thats significant.
    Oh I love Hamels. He has been one of my favorite pitchers ever since he came in the league, but heís not an ace anymore. Iím saying it sucks thereís no one like Verlander or Darvish available.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LouisLitt View Post
    The Giants are have a -43 run differential; they suck. They're also old with no farm system. They should, but probably won't put Bumgarner on the market because they seem to enjoy making bad decisions lately.
    Their winning method is to squeeze into playoff then let Mad Bum take care the business. Can't really say that their thinking wouldn't work. They did win 3 WS in last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Their winning method is to squeeze into playoff then let Mad Bum take care the business. Can't really say that their thinking wouldn't work. They did win 3 WS in last 10 years.
    They also weren't a "great" team in the regular season during those years either. 88 wins in 2014, 94 in 2012, 92 in 2010. I don't think any NL West team is going to run away with that division this year.

Cole Hamels is the move we need to make. Hes the type of pitcher who could help us make a WS run with his experience of big game pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    It really doesnít seem like anyone will be available. Rays probably wonít trade to us and the Giants are too close to first place to trade Bumgarner. I really donít foresee a pitcher better than Hamels coming available. Figures there are always good pitchers available and the year we really need one the options are more limited than ever. I really wish Seattle was a worse team and Paxton was available.
    I repeat in jest that Felix Hernandez could be available.

Since May 1, the Mariner rotation:

James Paxton, 6 starts, 1.67 ERA
    Felix Hernandez, 6 starts, 6.68 ERA
    Mike Leake, 6 starts, 3.20 ERA
    Marco Gonzales, 6 starts, 2.13 ERA
    Wade LeBlanc, 6 starts, 1.72 ERA

Despite the sparkling positives, the list makes this Seattle fan sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    They also weren't a "great" team in the regular season during those years either. 88 wins in 2014, 94 in 2012, 92 in 2010. I don't think any NL West team is going to run away with that division this year.
    Just had guys that got it done when they needed too. The poseys, the belts, and the Sandovalís of the world
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

It's still a little early, but there may not be a better available starter out there than German. At least for the moment, getting another dominant starter isn't as dire as it was a couple of weeks ago. Cash can afford to play his own cards a while longer.
    Let the kids play.

It's still a little early, but there may not be a better available starter out there than German. At least for the moment, getting another dominant starter isn't as dire as it was a couple of weeks ago. Cash can afford to play his own cards a while longer.
    Great point. German is blossoming into a legitimate asset in this rotation right before our eyes. What an embarrassment of riches it will be if Loaisiga has the goods as well.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jona...pment-machine/
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I agree with this so much. I wouldn't buy stock at German being the guy simply because of the odds, but I'm loving every minute of this for what it means for the Yankees current success AND for Cashman's hand over the next month.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

At the very least, it buys some time for Cashman to continue to search for that dominant SP.

It's dominant guy or bust.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

In the 52 games since the team’s shaky 9-9 outset to the season, the rotation has a 3.38 ERA (sixth best in the majors). Over the past 21 games it is 2.77, second best. That latter result was produced without Montgomery and mostly without Tanaka, but with German sure looking more and more like a trustworthy starter.

Will it last? Is this an Aaron Small sample size? Will the league see German, adjust and knock him into long relief? It is a possibility. But so is that German actually is a starter. He has the equipment.

He has three above-average pitches with fastball, changeup and a curve that produced 10 of the 17 swings and misses by the Mariners. German has fixated on fastball command, which has sharpened his whole repertoire. In his last four starts, the 25-year-old righty has walked four and struck out 31 in 25 ≤/₃ innings, including no walks and nine whiffs in a career-high seven innings against the Mariners.
    https://nypost.com/2018/06/19/maybe-...get-a-starter/
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Thread Information