+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Only if Cole got dealt to the Astros he would..
    Seriously, Hamels goes to HOU and is suddenly Randy Johnson.. It's simply because under the close examining of extremely accurate frame by frame video taken by a camera that only exists in Houston, they determined that if he releases the ball 0.0000001 seconds earlier and at an angle one half of one degree off to the side of where he releases it now, he will gain 7 MPH on his heater and have a curve that Sandy Koufax would be jealous of..

And I'm the next pope...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    I will never understand why an org will get a kid to drop his best pitch.
    Well that club and Rick Adair made a habit out of it: Bundy, Arrieta, Britton. They were good at sabotaging their top pitching prospects.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Well that club and Rick Adair made a habit out of it: Bundy, Arrieta, Britton. They were good at sabotaging their top pitching prospects.
    Arrieta is the one I never understood. They absolutely destroyed him, development - wise. They made him an entirely different pitcher.

whats going on with our boy right now

Edit: put together a nice start the other day
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

After flashing mid-90’s heat, Corbin’s FB has lost more than 3 mph, and tonight, he’s ranging 88-91... stay far, farrr away
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

The real mystery here is Kershaw and Bumgarner. I don’t think the Giants will trade Bumgarner as Sabean is not the “rebuilding” type.

Kershaw is interesting. If the Dodgers continue their slide into the trade deadline, it wouldn’t shock me to see them throw some feelers out there. Keep in mind Andrew Friedman is definitely one of the most analytical GMs out there, and the analytics would support trading a starting pitcher with a bad back entering free agency.

Would Dodger ownership sign off on it? That’s the real question.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    After flashing mid-90’s heat, Corbin’s FB has lost more than 3 mph, and tonight, he’s ranging 88-91... stay far, farrr away
    Where are you getting this velo data?

Corbin has sat 90-92 all year. He's also a guy who expertly adds and subtracts velo when he pitches. He's shown a 7-mph deviation on his slider this year, which is insane.

Also, as he began to do so to close last year, he's actually begun throwing his slider at a historic level and more than his FB.

Sure, 88-91 is down a bit but probably not much more than a tick below where he's been the rest of 2018. Def worth noting given his injury history but I'm not concerned yet given the evolution he's currently undertaking which devalues the significance of his FB (including velo) going forward.

NYYF Legend

^ this article was written about Corbin last week -

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...orbin-problem/

NYYF Legend

Miles Mikolas is looking like an insane pickup by the Cards. Only money signing. Aren't we supposed to have this expansive scouting team? It's annoying to miss on stuff like this.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    ^ this article was written about Corbin last week -

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...orbin-problem/
    Yeah saw that and figured it was the source. Don't get it b/c Brooks is what I use and its data disagrees with that piece's assertions.

In his last start vs LAD Corbin touched 92 multiple times and avg. velo was 90.3, exactly one tick below his season average. Whatever you stance is, its not even 2mph below 92, much less 3 ticks.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...=59&league=mlb

Touched 92 in the start before that one as well.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...=53&league=mlb

The start before that he was sitting around 93-94 and touched 96. But the start prior to that he was sitting 92 and touching 93. Feel like he's a dude whose velo fluctuates a lot from start to start.

NYYF Legend

Yeah saw that and figured it was the source. Don't get it b/c Brooks is what I use and its data disagrees with that piece's assertions.

In his last start vs LAD Corbin touched 92 multiple times and avg. velo was 90.3, exactly one tick below his season average. Whatever you stance is, its not even 2mph below 92, much less 3 ticks.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...=59&league=mlb

Touched 92 in the start before that one as well.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...=53&league=mlb

The start before that he was sitting around 93-94 and touched 96. But the start prior to that he was sitting 92 and touching 93. Feel like he's a dude whos velo fluctuates a lot from start to start.
    In the article, there’s a quote from Corbin himself where he acknowledges his diminished velo... insists he’s healthy, but who knows

Also, fluctuating velo in general would be a red flag to me... he was sitting mostly 89 tonight, which isn’t normal
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Miles Mikolas is looking like an insane pickup by the Cards. Only money signing. Aren't we supposed to have this expansive scouting team? It's annoying to miss on stuff like this.
    Come on, this is ridiculous. First of all, there are 29 other teams and we only have so many roster spots. Mikolas got 2/15.5 from STL, so we would have to beat that plus bump Montgomery to AAA, in essence guaranteeing a real question mark at the time in Mikolas a SP spot for the next two seasons.

If you're saying we should have traded Gray in the offseason and then signed Mikolas, then, yes, we would be better off now but when I suggested dealing Gray here this winter, I was laughed at (not trying to relitigate that, just saying). If you are saying yet again that we shouldn't have brought back CC, that was never a possibility, for both on and off the field reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    They played Giants games a crap ton on local TV so I had a chance to watch him quite often, but he really re-invented himself. That being said, I doubt not one person knew of him or even thought of suggesting him as a possible rotation candidate when he signed in the beginning of December with the Cards. Keep in mind when he signed, Ohtani was still not signed, Stanton was still a Marlin, CC was jobless along with Arrieta/Darvish/Cobb/Lynn, and Cole was on the block. Signing Mikolas then and locking up a slot in the rotation with an unknown return from Japan for multiple years just was not something the Yankees were likely to do at the start of December last year.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    The real mystery here is Kershaw and Bumgarner. I don’t think the Giants will trade Bumgarner as Sabean is not the “rebuilding” type.

Kershaw is interesting. If the Dodgers continue their slide into the trade deadline, it wouldn’t shock me to see them throw some feelers out there. Keep in mind Andrew Friedman is definitely one of the most analytical GMs out there, and the analytics would support trading a starting pitcher with a bad back entering free agency.

Would Dodger ownership sign off on it? That’s the real question.
    One of the richest sports franchises in the United States is not going to trade one of the greatest pitchers of all time because of a proclivity towards analytics. The asking price would make your head spin (think “Aaron Judge”).

Edit: It just dawned on me you’re likely referring to Kershaw potentially exercising his opt-out clause after this season. Not sure this changes what they’d be asking for though.
    Last edited by ojo; 05-15-18 at 08:00 AM.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    In the article, there’s a quote from Corbin himself where he acknowledges his diminished velo... insists he’s healthy, but who knows

Also, fluctuating velo in general would be a red flag to me... he was sitting mostly 89 tonight, which isn’t normal
    Nah, you're def making good points my dude. I went back and looked at other starts and there were some he was sitting 93 and touching 94-95. The data I saw last night had him touching 93 with an avg. FB velo of 90.7.

I guess calling it a red flag is fair but a bunch of the assertions in that FanGraphs piece -- that he can't even touch 92 lately -- are just wrong.

Could be his tendency to add and subtract, could be a dead arm period or could be something serious.

Full disclosure: I am a Corbin fan and wanted to make a low risk/cost deal for him in the offseason.

Plus, the guy is a Syracuse native who comes from generations of Yankees fans and said in the winter how cool it would be to pitch for the Yankees when the Winter rumors were flying.

He happens to be a New York kid who grew up worshipping the Yankees, whose family is several generations deep in Yankee fandom, and who dreamed one day of pitching for the Yankees.

“It would definitely be great to play there. I grew up a Yankee fan. My whole family are Yankee fans. My mom, my dad, my grandpa, everybody. Really, every generation of my family has been Yankee fans."

“Living up in Syracuse, everybody’s a Yankee fan. Not too many Mets fans up there.’’

One of Corbin’s most valued pieces in his new Scottsdale, Ariz., home that he and his fiancée recently purchased, is the autographed jersey from Andy Pettitte. He was given an autographed picture of his other favorite Yankee, Tino Martinez, as a present growing up, but for the life of him, doesn’t know where it is.

“Those were my guys,’’ says Corbin, who still remembers cursing his luck seeing the Yankees play for his 10th birthday present, only to miss David Cone’s perfect game by a day. “They were winning championships every year. It was a cool time.’’
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ees/542538002/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    They played Giants games a crap ton on local TV so I had a chance to watch him quite often, but he really re-invented himself. That being said, I doubt not one person knew of him or even thought of suggesting him as a possible rotation candidate when he signed in the beginning of December with the Cards.
    Who cares if no one on the forum suggested this? This isn't our jobs as fans to scout talent in Japan. The Yankees have a branch to do this. The Cardinals did.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Keep in mind when he signed, Ohtani was still not signed, Stanton was still a Marlin, CC was jobless along with Arrieta/Darvish/Cobb/Lynn, and Cole was on the block. Signing Mikolas then and locking up a slot in the rotation with an unknown return from Japan for multiple years just was not something the Yankees were likely to do at the start of December last year.
    If you like the talent enough he would have made a ton of sense from a depth perspective costing only money. The Cardinals very clearly did. Why didn't we? You could still sign CC and/or start Monty in AAA.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

a bunch of the assertions in that FanGraphs piece -- that he can't even touch 92 lately -- are just wrong.
    baseball savant, which uses statcast, is the source for velocity readings in the article. brooksbaseball uses pitchfx. that's the cause for the small discrepancies.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    baseball savant, which uses statcast, is the source for velocity readings in the article. brooksbaseball uses pitchfx. that's the cause for the small discrepancies.
    Thanks for that.

NYYF Legend

And here you have it:

Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch 4m4 minutes ago
    Brian Cashman on Brandon Drury: "It feels like we've unlocked it. he's made great progress."

Cashman said Drury is ready to play at the MLB level now, but they chose Miguel Andujar over him at third base.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    And here you have it:

Brian Cashman on Brandon Drury: "It feels like we've unlocked it. he's made great progress."

Cashman said Drury is ready to play at the MLB level now, but they chose Miguel Andujar over him at third base.

Good choice

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    And here you have it:

I hope that is true, not just for what it means for the Yankees, but also what it will mean for Mr. Drury. He has his whole life in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Good choice

Andy
    Easy choice.

Despite the great record and exciting baseball

My concerns with this team considering they didnt add a big time SP remain.

Playoff baseball is a totally different animal. Pitching is king. Not worried about the pen or long relief (despite some inconcsistency). But we need another dominant SP who will match zeroes with much deeper staffs like Houstons.

Ohtani wasnt coming here so you cant blame Cash for that one but the Cole miss looms large. Houston has now ponied up 2x first Verlander (which got them last years World Series) and now Cole.

We needed to get Cole even with an overpay. We have an embarrassment of riches of hitting. Giving up both Andujar and Frazier plus an Adams or Montgomery (or even the fragile Gray) would have been worth it. Why? Because wed be a better overall playoff constructed TEAM with Cole but not those guys.

Now if Cash swings a deal at the deadline ,that can change things but Cole was young and cost controlled. I just dont see us beating Houston with our current starters. Playoffs are almost never about outhitting but outpitching the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Despite the great record and exciting baseball

My concerns with this team considering they didnt add a big time SP remain.

Playoff baseball is a totally different animal. Pitching is king. Not worried about the pen or long relief (despite some inconcsistency). But we need another dominant SP who will match zeroes with much deeper staffs like Houstons.

Ohtani wasnt coming here so you cant blame Cash for that one but the Cole miss looms large. Houston has now ponied up 2x first Verlander (which got them last years World Series) and now Cole.

We needed to get Cole even with an overpay. We have an embarrassment of riches of hitting. Giving up both Andujar and Frazier plus an Adams or Montgomery (or even the fragile Gray) would have been worth it. Why? Because wed be a better overall playoff constructed TEAM with Cole but not those guys.

Now if Cash swings a deal at the deadline ,that can change things but Cole was young and cost controlled. I just dont see us beating Houston with our current starters. Playoffs are almost never about outhitting but outpitching the other team.
    Easy to say that now.

And besides, Cole wouldn't be pitching THIS good here. I can almost guarantee that. Not sure what Houston is doing down there with their starters, but something reeks.

I'm glad they didn't overpay. Andujar and Frazier would have been way overpayment for an inconsistent Gerrit Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Easy to say that now.

And besides, Cole wouldn't be pitching THIS good here. I can almost guarantee that. Not sure what Houston is doing down there with their starters, but something reeks.

I'm glad they didn't overpay. Andujar and Frazier would have been way overpayment for an inconsistent Gerrit Cole.
    Lol. I was saying it 3-4 months ago.

Thread Information