+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Shedding a contract like Headley and then signing Darvish would be a 10x better move than a 38 yo Sabbathia at 10-12 M
    It isnít the 1year/$12 million that is the issue it is the 5-7 years given to Darvish whomwith injury and other concerns I do not consider a top of the rotation pitcher. Would rather hold the money for July in case of injury, either sign CC or stay within for our 5th pitcher and see what Adams and then Sheffield can do instead of locking that spot up for 5-7 years by a 30+ pitcher

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Simply being realistic. This isn't fantasy baseball. Getting under the luxury tax for 2018 is very real. Hal has stated this repeatedly.

Adding Stanton and his massive contract just made that goal even harder to reach. So if we're going to be realistic, the odds are slim to none that Cashman is going to spend $17+ million a year on a #5 starter.

With Severino, Tanaka, Gray and Monty already in place, the Yankees need an affordable #5. Anything more than that is a luxury that would require some out-of-box maneuvering from Cashman in order to remain below the luxury tax threshold.

Adams has been dominant at every level he's pitched in the minors. He's earned the opportunity to win the #5 spot in spring training where we can break him in without much pressure. Why not give the opportunity to someone with enough upside to possibly evolve into a #2-#3 starter rather than spend big on someone who has already reached his ceiling and will come with a hefty price tag? If Adams doesn't work out, and the Yankees have no other viable in-house options, then you can look outside the organization.
    If you can't find anyone, and you can't manipulate the $, then I am fine with that.

I have no problem giving Adams the ball. Just don't go waste $12 million on some 5.00 era guy. If you have the kids ready, give them the damn ball.

But I am a believer that there will be opportunities for the kids anyhow.

Even if you give a kid the 5th spot, you can still go out and get a stud for the playoff run in June July and only owe them for 1/2 the years pay. About what you would owe CC or some other mediocre pitcher for a full year.

But this is the Yankees and I know what they will do if they can't get a stud. They'll get a schmuck and try to sell him as a stud. Somebody like Garcia would make me puke.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post

I know a lot of people donít like him but Iíd look into bringing Garcia back
    OK, you were just messing with me. Right?
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The plan right now should be to use Adams and signing a back end of the rotation type guy.

I know a lot of people donít like him but Iíd look into bringing Garcia back
    Or maybe Sergio Mitre?

Garcia is a viable long man and can fill in when needed when someone gets hurt
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Yogi Buck

Garcia is a viable long man and can fill in when needed when someone gets hurt
    Your just messing with me. Right?

NYYF Legend

I think Iíd rather cut my nipples off with a rusty spoon than re-sign Garcia
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post

I have no problem giving Adams the ball. Just don't go waste $12 million on some 5.00 era guy. If you have the kids ready, give them the damn ball.

But I am a believer that there will be opportunities for the kids anyhow.

Even if you give a kid the 5th spot, you can still go out and get a stud for the playoff run in June July and only owe them for 1/2 the years pay. About what you would owe CC or some other mediocre pitcher for a full year.

But this is the Yankees and I know what they will do if they can't get a stud. They'll get a schmuck and try to sell him as a stud. Somebody like Garcia would make me puke.
    I can't disagree with any of this. My personal preference is to let CC walk and allow in-house options such as Adams to compete for the #5 spot in spring training. And if Adams pans out, the rotation is pretty much set for the next few years.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Your just messing with me. Right?
    Nope Iím serious. I think itís the perfect role for him
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    I think Iíd rather cut my nipples off with a rusty spoon than re-sign Garcia
    I really donít think heís that bad if heís used as a long reliever who fills in as a starter in case of injury

Yogi Buck

Nope I’m serious. I think it’s the perfect role for him
    At what, 3 years 30 million? 2 years - $22 million? Is he gonna take a pay cut to be the Yankees long man? I was thinking he made $12 mil last year.

Your just messing with me right?

At what, 3 years 30 million? 2 years - $22 million?

Your just messing with me right?
    I have no idea what heís projected to get but at that price Iíll pass

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    It isnít the 1year/$12 million that is the issue it is the 5-7 years given to Darvish whomwith injury and other concerns I do not consider a top of the rotation pitcher. Would rather hold the money for July in case of injury, either sign CC or stay within for our 5th pitcher and see what Adams and then Sheffield can do instead of locking that spot up for 5-7 years by a 30+ pitcher
    I can understand this.

I can't say with 100% confidence that Darvish and or Arrietta are 100% healthy.

And it would be safer to watch for 1/2 a year and pick up somebody then who has pitched well. Would be more expensive prospect wise, but safer.

Yogi Buck

I have no idea what heís projected to get but at that price Iíll pass
    He made $12 mil last year. At what price do you not pass?

This is my entire point. Mediocre middle of the road pitchers are no bargin.

You sign aces, you develop #5 starters hoping they have a higher ceiling.

If you are signing #5 starters, you need to fire your player development people.

He made $12 mil last year. At what price do you not pass?

This is my entire point. Mediocre middle of the road pitchers are no bargin.

You sign aces, you develop #5 starters hoping they have a higher ceiling.

If you are signing #5 starters, you need to fire your player development people.
    Well I can tell you I wouldnít go more than a year

Also. Do we have viable in house options we can go to in case some one goes down. We got green but Iíd rather him just stay in the pen

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I would never give up Gleyber for him but Aaron Nola is an interesting pitcher. His injury history is a bit scary. It would make sense for the Phillies to field offers for him
    I have great confidence you'd do the deal I threw out the other day in a heartbeat, yes?

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8423802
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Clint Frazier
    Dellin Betances
    Tyler Wade
    Chance Adams

For

Madison Bumgardner

Itís a lot - but who says no?

NYYF Legend

If only the Yankees had not strapped themselves with insane contracts over the years as signing Max Scherzer in 2015, would have been a great way to address the SP issue. Yet of course, an insane contract would have been the way to get him into to pinstripes in the first place.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HughesIsNasty View Post
    Clint Frazier
    Dellin Betances
    Tyler Wade
    Chance Adams

For

Madison Bumgardner

San Francisco. And like this:

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HughesIsNasty View Post
    Clint Frazier
    Dellin Betances
    Tyler Wade
    Chance Adams

For

Madison Bumgardner

How about Sonny Grey,Frazier,Headley for Bumgarner?

SF needs a 3B and Headley is a decent if unspectacular one. Frazier is a top MLB ready prospect and Gray is a solid MLB proven cost controlled pitcher.

We keep more prospects and shed more salary. Im not a big Gray fan, my take I just dont see a shutdown pitcher mental make up.

Bumgarner on the other hand.

Bumgarner,Sevy,Tanaka,Montgomery,Green/Adams

San Fran isnít trading bumgardner. They are trying to win still. They have a core there, thatís atill capable of winning

Why does ANYONE think that the Giants are the least bit interested in trading Bumgarner?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Why does ANYONE think that the Giants are the least bit interested in trading Bumgarner?
    Canít figure it out. This is the team that just had a deal done for Stanton. They are trying to win. Not rebuild with prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post

I think that guy will retire as a Giant. No one is getting him.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Thread Information