Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Tell me what rounds Scherzer sale And kluber we’re drafted in
    1st 11th pick overall
    1st 13th pick overall
    and
    4th

So what is your point?

Yes, we all hope some of the Yanks prospects develop into an ace. But it probably won't be this year and the Yanks have a really good team THIS YEAR. Chance has a Chance. Personally, I like him, but many don't think he is projectable. I'd rather give him a chance and see what happens.

I would love for Sheffield to turn into a Pettitte.

But for all the huge prospects we've had, how many turned into aces?
    No matter. If you get a chance to get a hold of an ace, you get him.

By the way, Kluber (who was taken in the 4th round) and Arrietta 5th are the lowest drafted players to win a Cy Young award in almost 30 years. (Saberhagen 89) AGAIN showing that dominant pitchers are drafted high as much as they are developed.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Darvish still has it and can be a legit #1

I don't think they will get Darvish. They want to get under the salary cap. Darvish will cost 20+ million.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

The Stanton trade helped make Frazier expendable. Lets see what starting pitcher market develops and what he can be traded for.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The model for the dynasty teams was basically to put together a solid core, and plug in FA pitchers for the rotation.
    I get that, but the Yankees need a #5 starter to round out the rotation. They aren't shopping for an ace.

If they re-sign Sabathia on a 1 year /$10-12 million deal, then problem solved. If not, I would much rather give someone like Adams a chance (pardon the pun), rather than sign someone like Cobb to a 3-4 year deal at $17 million+ per year.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Who are the 2 "dominant SPs" on Chicago?

Also, Houston won due to Morton and McCullers just as much as they did bc of Kuechel and Verlander.

Same for the Cubs and Kendrick last year.
    The Cubs had 3 aces in 2016.

Arrieta, who won the CY in 2015.

Lester who finished 2nd in the CY in 2016 and Kendrick who finished 3rd in the CY in 2016.

Now granted Lester and Kendrick had career years in 2016.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    The Cubs had 3 aces in 2016.

Arrieta, who won the CY in 2015.

Lester who finished 2nd in the CY in 2016 and Kendrick who finished 3rd in the CY in 2016.

Now granted Lester and Kendrick had career years in 2016.
    Where were those guys drafted. How about Noah sybdergaard
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I don't think they will get Darvish. They want to get under the salary cap. Darvish will cost 20+ million.
    Very doable, but you would have to move either Gardner/Robertson/Headley without taking any salary in return.

Where were Greg maddux, John smoltz, and Tom glacier drafted
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Yogi Buck

Where were those guys drafted. How about Noah sybdergaard
    Google is your friend. Noah was a 1st round pick.

Google is your friend. Noah was a 1st round pick.
    But was he top 10?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I think everyone here would agree, we would love to develop aces. But how many aces have the Yankees developed in the past 25 years?

Andy Pettitte
    Luis Severino

uh

Andy Pettitte
    and
    and
    Luis Severino.

Uh.

Not gonna win a ton of games with the aces the Yanks have "developed."

In reality, there aren't a whole lot of aces out there.
    chien ming wang
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Yogi Buck

But was he top 10?
    Did I miss the Yankees drafting him?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I get that, but the Yankees need a #5 starter to round out the rotation. They aren't shopping for an ace.

If they re-sign Sabathia on a 1 year /$10-12 million deal, then problem solved. If not, I would much rather give someone like Adams a chance (pardon the pun), rather than sign someone like Cobb to a 3-4 year deal at $17 million+ per year.
    Adams will get plenty of opportunity. No chance all 5 starts on opening day go the season without injury.'

Yu has been steadily declining. I'm not really interested in him or just TJ repaired arm (I know it's been a while, but still a risk) at what he will command. He's a #2 pitcher in decline.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    chien ming wang
    Nice!

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Adams will get plenty of opportunity. No chance all 5 starts on opening day go the season without injury.
    Exactly.

Cool Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

I like Darvish for straight cash and believe Cashman can probably shed some payroll with salary dump deals taking little back and-or eating some salary.

However if Bumgarner could be had, I would not be averse to a Sonny Grey, Clint Frazier type trade in the least. Our hitting is pretty stacked and having a big game pitcher like Bumgarner makes this current roster more championship complete than Frazier+Gray would at this point.

Further I dont know if they have someone on the Farm but their 3B situation is pretty weak , Headley would also be a sizeable upgrade for them.

If the Yanks are really going for it this year (its the Yanks and even though it isnt George anymore , we still are one of the best cash cows in all of sports) imagine this:

Gray,Headley,Frazier for Bumgarner (sheds payroll, I think Bum only makes 7 this year)
    Darvish as a FA

Rotation: Bumgarner, Darvish, Severino, Tanaka, Montgomery (Green/Adams)

More realistic would be just one or the other but figured it'd be nice to dream a little

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

I disagree. Sabathia had a decent year with a 3.69 era, but expecting him to duplicate it at 38 after 4 bad to mediocre years just might be fools gold. I guess if I can't find anyone else, I might sign him for $10 mil. But knowing he has a bad knee, is fat, recovering alcoholic and is 38 with a fastball 5-7 mph off where it once was, makes me shudder.

I don't know why you would want to go get a mediocre #5 starter. Cubs just signed one for 3 years and $38 million. When you can go get an ace type for 4-5 years and $22 mil per. $10 mil more per year, but you hopefully lock down 15% of your annual innings.

And you know what is the most awesome part, it ain't my money.

If you can't get one for a reasonable price, then you turn to what you got internally.

Again, if you have some kids waiting, you don't make them wait for some schlub you signed as a 5th starter. Why waste the money, unless you can get a top of the rotation type.

Heyman tweet this morning:

Yanks still weighing trades for ellsbury and headley. Ellsbury an interesting one. Has full no-trade and doesnt want to leave. Wants to win CF job back. Nyy peeps say job belongs to hicks.

Do we actually already have options that other teams would be amenable to? Cash is moving and shaking! Of course Ells would have to waive the NTC but most players do for playing time and the right team-location.

Did I miss the Yankees drafting him?
    Okay well if the argument is that the Yankees havenít been the best at developing starters recently. I can agree with that.

But I thought the argument was that something about top 10 picks

I disagree. Sabathia had a decent year with a 3.69 era, but expecting him to duplicate it at 38 after 4 bad to mediocre years just might be fools gold. I guess if I can't find anyone else, I might sign him for $10 mil. But knowing he has a bad knee, is fat, recovering alcoholic and is 38 with a fastball 5-7 mph off where it once was, makes me shudder.

I don't know why you would want to go get a mediocre #5 starter. Cubs just signed one for 3 years and $38 million. When you can go get an ace type for 4-5 years and $22 mil per. $10 mil more per year, but you hopefully lock down 15% of your annual innings.

If you can't get one for a reasonable price, then you turn to what you got internally.
    Shedding a contract like Headley and then signing Darvish would be a 10x better move than a 38 yo Sabbathia at 10-12 M

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Yeah another top of the rotation arm would be nice. Even preferrable. But Iíd not go looking under rocks in order to try and pry one from a team now. Too costly.

Wait. Somebody will become available next year, and that team will want Yankee prospects above pretty much every other teams.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Yeah another top of the rotation arm would be nice. Even preferrable. But Iíd not go looking under rocks in order to try and pry one from a team now. Too costly.

Wait. Somebody will become available next year, and that team will want Yankee prospects above pretty much every other teams.
    The plan right now should be to use Adams and signing a back end of the rotation type guy.

I know a lot of people donít like him but Iíd look into bringing Garcia back

Simply being realistic. This isn't fantasy baseball. Getting under the luxury tax for 2018 is very real. Hal has stated this repeatedly.

Adding Stanton and his massive contract just made that goal even harder to reach. So if we're going to be realistic, the odds are slim to none that Cashman is going to spend $17+ million a year on a #5 starter.

With Severino, Tanaka, Gray and Monty already in place, the Yankees need an affordable #5. Anything more than that is a luxury that would require some out-of-box maneuvering from Cashman in order to remain below the luxury tax threshold.

Adams has been dominant at every level he's pitched in the minors. He's earned the opportunity to win the #5 spot in spring training where we can break him in without much pressure. Why not give the opportunity to someone with enough upside to possibly evolve into a #2-#3 starter rather than spend big on someone who has already reached his ceiling and will come with a hefty price tag? If Adams doesn't work out, and the Yankees have no other viable in-house options, then you can look outside the organization.

Yogi Buck

I know a lot of people don’t like him but I’d look into bringing Garcia back
    Oh my god, please no.

Give the ball to any of the rooks before signing Garcia.

Oh my god, please no.

Give the ball to any of the rooks before signing Garcia.
    I'd rather gargle broken glass, wash it down with gasoline and light up a cigarette before I bring Garcia back...

Thread Information