+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: The Hunt for the final missing piece: one more dominant SP

Quote Originally Posted by derekc View Post
    How about we trade for Bumgarner in a deal involving Gardner and some prospects not named Torres and Andujar? Is there any way the Giants bite?
    No chance in hell
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Of that list posted earlier, only guy I'd entertain is Bumgarner, but Giants won't give him up, they're not buying into rebuilding yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    This.
    Slicked ball both teams confirmed it. MLBs weak move to get the nominal crowd glued to their TV sets watching offense.

Darvish is still an excellent pitcher. Though would love MadBum he'll cost a ton of prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    You know gray Tanaka and sevy are gonna be there. Monty should be there. I’d give Adams the other spot
    I completely agree. We finally got away from overpaying for medicore veterans and it paid instant dividends with players such as Severino, Judge, Sanchez, etc.

Makes no sense to revert back to old, bad habits when we have guys with much better upside at a fraction of the cost.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    ehhh not likely. Giants are looking to compete.
    With what though? IMO, it would be a foolish endeavor. If they get a guy like JD Martinez, he'll be a butcher defensively and eat up their financial flexibility. Even adding him, I don't think they would be a play-off team. Of course, they can do as they wish, but they're not competing with the Dodgers and even the D-Backs and Rockies have taken big steps forward.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I completely agree. We finally got away from overpaying for medicore veterans and it paid instant dividends with players such as Severino, Judge, Sanchez, etc.

Makes no sense to revert back to old, bad habits when we have guys with much better upside at a fraction of the cost.
    Mike Mussina
    Roger Clemens
    David Cone
    Randy Johnson
    David Wells
    Kevin Brown
    El Duque
    Dwight Gooden
    Kenny Rogers
    Jimmy Key

Won some WS with those mediocre veteran guys.

Tanaka
    CC Sabathia
    Sonny Gray
    Micheal Pineda

All say hi!

You grow position players, back of the rotation guys and bullpen pieces.

You sign aces and if necessary, closers, missing pieces. All you can do is hope your back of the rotation guys and bullpen guys grow into aces and closers.

We all hope Chance grows into an ace.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    Mike Mussina
    Roger Clemens
    David Cone
    Randy Johnson
    David Wells
    Kevin Brown
    El Duque
    Dwight Gooden
    Kenny Rogers
    Jimmy Key

Won some WS with those mediocre veteran guys.

Tanaka
    CC Sabathia
    Sonny Gray
    Micheal Pineda

All say hi!

You grow position players, back of the rotation guys and bullpen pieces.

You sign aces and if necessary, closers, missing pieces. All you can do is hope your back of the rotation guys and bullpen guys grow into aces and closers.

We all hope Chance grows into an ace.
    I couldnt disagree more. Starting pitching is a premium in this sport. Its always best to develop your own. otherwise you overpay for it
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

I wouldn't mind aquiring a top 10 pitcher, I just dont see who they would possibly get.

I wouldn't mind aquiring a top 10 pitcher, I just dont see who they would possibly get.
    Darvish still has it and can be a legit #1

The model for the dynasty teams was basically to put together a solid core, and plug in FA pitchers for the rotation.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The Yankees certainly have the chips if they decide to go that route. Question becomes, who's the target?

Archer? NYM pitchers? Cole?

Swap Ellsbury for Samardzjia?

I'd absolutely sell the farm for Syndergard.

I think we're underrating our pitching a bit. We have 3 of the top 31 pitchers in terms of WAR for qualified pitchers.

Yogi Buck

I couldnt disagree more. Starting pitching is a premium in this sport. Its always best to develop your own. otherwise you overpay for it
    I think everyone here would agree, we would love to develop aces. But how many aces have the Yankees developed in the past 25 years?

Andy Pettitte
    Luis Severino

uh

Andy Pettitte
    and
    and
    Luis Severino.

Uh.

Not gonna win a ton of games with the aces the Yanks have "developed."

In reality, there aren't a whole lot of aces out there.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think everyone here would agree, we would love to develop aces. But how many aces have the Yankees developed in the past 25 years?

Andy Pettitte
    Luis Severino

uh

Andy Pettitte
    and
    and
    Luis Severino.

Uh.

Wouldnt even call pettite an ace.

and I agree there arent a whole lot out there.

I dont think we are in a spot wgere we have to overpay for a starter. I believe we have 2 capable 1s. I believe a lot of teams Have 2s passing as 1s. I believe we have a stud waiting in the wings in Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Darvish still has it and can be a legit #1
    Just do not buy it. Plus getting old
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The model for the dynasty teams was basically to put together a solid core, and plug in FA pitchers for the rotation.
    Giants won 3 in 5 seasons. They developed there own starters. Atleast their best ones.

I say let it play out. If there was a top of the rotation arm readily available the Yankees should be in it, but as it stands the opportunity isn't really there.

Cashman has done well waiting for opportunities to emerge and taking advantage of other teams who are motivated to deal their players.

Wouldnt even call pettite an ace.

and I agree there arent a whole lot out there.

I dont think we are in a spot wgere we have to overpay for a starter. I believe we have 2 capable 1s. I believe a lot of teams Have 2s passing as 1s. I believe we have a stud waiting in the wings in Adams

Almost every top playoff team this year had a loaded starting rotation. Dominant starting pitching is HUGE in the playoffs and the best teams many times have 2 and sometimes more.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I say let it play out. If there was a top of the rotation arm readily available the Yankees should be in it, but as it stands the opportunity isn't really there.

Cashman has done well waiting for opportunities to emerge and taking advantage of other teams who are motivated to deal their players.
    Agreed...........
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Giants won 3 in 5 seasons. They developed there own starters. Atleast their best ones.
    Just saying that you can develop young players and also sign or trade for veteran players where needed. If you develop a young core, filling in with older, more established, and more expensive players isn't going back on the plan, it's just putting on the finishing touches.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Just saying that you can develop young players and also sign or trade for veteran players where needed. If you develop a young core, filling in with older, more established, and more expensive players isn't going back on the plan, it's just putting on the finishing touches.
    Yeah nothing wrong with that

Yogi Buck

Lincecom and Baumgarden were top 10 picks in the first round. Do you know how long its been since the Yanks had a top 10 pick? I think Cain was a first rounder also.

Sometimes you have to really suck to develop your own starters. At least the best ones.

If Pettitte is not the ace, the Yankees have developed one ace who has one ace like season in the past 25 years.

Not realistic to be stubborn and say we should develop aces. I sure hope Adams and others turn into it, but they can go for it in the 5th slot.

As mentioned in another thread, my offseason would be complete with an acquisition of Gerrit Cole for a package led by Clint Frazier.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    1.To contend with the 'Super teams' that have 2 dominant SPs like Houston, Cubs,LA
    Who are the 2 "dominant SPs" on Chicago?

Also, Houston won due to Morton and McCullers just as much as they did bc of Kuechel and Verlander.

Same for the Cubs and Kendrick last year.

Andy Pettitte
    Luis Severino

uh

Andy Pettitte
    and
    and
    Luis Severino.

Uh.

This is a new era, Severino and Montgomery (not an ace, but a very solid back of the rotation guy in his rookie year and should only get better if given the chance) last year, and German and Adams and Sheffield and Abreu and Acevedo and Tate all jockeying to get a chance this year and next.

Throw in Perez and Medina and Sauer and Schmidt and that is a lot of potential high ceiling arms, hopefully any deserving ones get a real chance here before moving on.

Lincecom and Baumgarden were top 10 picks in the first round. Do you know how long its been since the Yanks had a top 10 pick? I think Cain was a first rounder also.

Sometimes you have to really suck to develop your own starters. At least the best ones.

If Pettitte is not the ace, the Yankees have developed one ace who has one ace like season in the past 25 years.

Not realistic to be stubborn and say we should develop aces. I sure hope Adams and others turn into it, but they can go for it in the 5th slot.
    Tell me what rounds Scherzer sale And kluber we’re drafted in

NYYF Legend

I would never give up Gleyber for him but Aaron Nola is an interesting pitcher. His injury history is a bit scary. It would make sense for the Phillies to field offers for him
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Thread Information