+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The 197M thread.

Gray settled at $6.5 mil, Didi at $8.25 mil.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Yankees payroll after arbitration deals not counting Shreve. 152M (rounded up)

45M left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post

45M left.
    AP reporting Shreve agreed to 825,000 to avoid abritration. Current projected LT Payroll $177MM.

45M left.
    Actually, if you factor all remaining costs I believe they are just below 177M.

Quote Originally Posted by neyugnt View Post
    AP reporting Shreve agreed to 825,000 to avoid abritration. Current projected LT Payroll $177MM.
    As I've been saying then.. providing they're ok going into the season with Andujar at 3B or Torreyes, etc and Torres at 2B, they could move Betances (5.1M) and probably get them in the Darvish range, they don't necessarily HAVE to move Robertson or Gardner.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Actually, if you factor all remaining costs I believe they are just below 177M.
    Yes, I was just updating players committed, its about 178 with everything included.

Quote Originally Posted by neyugnt View Post
    Yep, thatís what my math says it is.

45M left.
    Just hypothetically, what would the payroll be as of opening day if (i) Yanks current 40 man roster stayed perfectly intact until opening day; and (ii) Montgomery, Andujar and Torres were on the active 25 man roster?

Yes, I was just updating players committed, its about 178 with everything included.
    thank you

As I've been saying then.. providing they're ok going into the season with Andujar at 3B or Torreyes, etc and Torres at 2B, they could move Betances (5.1M) and probably get them in the Darvish range, they don't necessarily HAVE to move Robertson or Gardner.
    I don’t like weakening the bullpen and I have serious reservations about Darvish. No way I give him a seven year contract. They’re going to keep 10M for possible mid season acquisitions.

I donít like weakening the bullpen and I have serious reservations about Darvish. No way I give him a seven year contract.
    Well hell no lol

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Cot's Tax Tracker, after being updated for Kahnle & Hicks' arb numbers had the Yankees at $178,632,100, including an estimated $27.750M for the then outstanding arbitration cases.

I think the number is reduced by around $2.635M after the announced arbitration numbers as follows (the first number is Cot's estimate; the second number is what has been reported):

Didi - $9M to $8.25M
    Gray - $6M to $6.5M
    Betances - $5M to $5.1M
    Warren - $5M to $3.315M
    Shreve - $1.75M to $850K
    Romine - $1M to $1.1M

The first column totals the $27.75M, while the second column totals $25.115 for a reduction of $2.635M.

This change reduces the Cot's number to $175,997,100 by my calculation, leaving us $21M and penny change to use.

The ability to sign a veteran at up to $12M is much more possible now without sacrificing a current asset.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Cot's Tax Tracker, after being updated for Kahnle & Hicks' arb numbers had the Yankees at $178,632,100, including an estimated $27.750M for the then outstanding arbitration cases.

I think the number is reduced by around $2.635M after the announced arbitration numbers as follows (the first number is Cot's estimate; the second number is what has been reported):

Didi - $9M to $8.25M
    Gray - $6M to $6.5M
    Betances - $5M to $5.1M
    Warren - $5M to $3.315M
    Shreve - $1.75M to $850K
    Romine - $1M to $1.1M

The first column totals the $27.75M, while the second column totals $25.115 for a reduction of $2.635M.

This change reduces the Cot's number to $175,997,100 by my calculation, leaving us $21M and penny change to use.

The ability to sign a veteran at up to $12M is much more possible now without sacrificing a current asset.
    Cot's has updated the arbitration figures into the projected "luxury tax threshold" payroll calculation. It's now $176,222,100. (Don't forget to click on the right link at the top of the page on the left)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...PAvRQ/pubhtml#

Yogi Buck

Cot's has updated the arbitration figures into the projected "luxury tax threshold" payroll calculation. It's now $176,222,100. (Don't forget to click on the right link at the top of the page on the left)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...PAvRQ/pubhtml#
    ok.

trade warren in this rediculously high reliever market for prospects.

sign darvish for 5 yrs 115

trade off spare outfielder/gardner for deadline space.

win 2018 W S
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

With the exception of the ridiculous amount paid to Betances, all of the arbitration eligible players signed team friendly contracts. Great job by the front office and frankly this tells me that these guys WANT to come back to this team.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    ok.

trade warren in this rediculously high reliever market for prospects.

sign darvish for 5 yrs 115

trade off spare outfielder/gardner for deadline space.

win 2018 W S
    I am surprise Darvish didn't sign with Astros but I really don't think 115/5 is going to work. Brian is doing a good job just waiting.

Our pen is our strength (my only worry is Shreve I think is our LHP - happy it is 0.9M) but Warren is a bargain at 3.3 M is a GREAT DEAL who can pinch start. I always liked Warren and felt Joe did not use him well last year with his pen management. Brian did a great job getting him back - he pitches well for us.

(Yankee1962 - that was me not using the right tab - still learning because I used another Cot's site for the actual contracts)

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Our rotation is good as long as we have a strong pen. Without it, guys like CC are screwed.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I donít like weakening the bullpen and I have serious reservations about Darvish. No way I give him a seven year contract. Theyíre going to keep 10M for possible mid season acquisitions.
    I'd give Darvish a 7 year contract, but at a lower yearly average. It immediately saves on the luxury tax. So if he gets 2M less per year its like 12M discount on the last year of his deal and obviously 2M more in luxury tax space each year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I'd give Darvish a 7 year contract, but at a lower yearly average. It immediately saves on the luxury tax. So if he gets 2M less per year its like 12M discount on the last year of his deal and obviously 2M more in luxury tax space each year.
    To add on to this premise you have here, couldn't they load up the front end and include a mutual opt out after year 3? Isn't the tax hit based on the average of dollars /years?

ie: 7 yrs/$143M total - yrs 1-3@$25M, mutual opt out after year 3, then yrs 4-7@$17M

The AAV would be about $20M, correct? A mutual opt out would protect both the team and the player after the 3rd year.

Yarvish would give them the depth they are looking for this year, and could easily slide into Sabathia's role starting in 2019. He's also insurance if Gray leaves after the 2019 season.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

You know, with all the talk about Gardner's contract and impending free agency with regards to a trade or the $197, I somehow forgot - or didn't even realize - that he has a team option for $12.5 mil in 2019.

That might help in a trade.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Designated for Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Our rotation is good as long as we have a strong pen. Without it, guys like CC are screwed.
    This is my take as well.

That bullpen depth also bodes well for the Yankees should they need to call up someone like Adams, or move Warren into the rotation, due to injuries. You just need 4-5 solid innings out of them at that point.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    To add on to this premise you have here, couldn't they load up the front end and include a mutual opt out after year 3? Isn't the tax hit based on the average of dollars /years?

ie: 7 yrs/$143M total - yrs 1-3@$25M, mutual opt out after year 3, then yrs 4-7@$17M

The AAV would be about $20M, correct? A mutual opt out would protect both the team and the player after the 3rd year.

Yarvish would give them the depth they are looking for this year, and could easily slide into Sabathia's role starting in 2019. He's also insurance if Gray leaves after the 2019 season.
    If you're Darvish though a mutual option is the same as signing for 3 years though, so it would have to be a player option to entice him. You could in theory tack some team options on the end of the deal, but if its too obvious though MLB will be forced to step in especially since its the Yankees and you know the Red Sox will cry bloody murder. With Darvish if you're paying higher salary on the front end he could be a guy that shifts to the bullpen later in his career at which point the lower yearly salaries might be fair money or not ridiculous for a reliever. And if he stays an effective starter for longer than expected its gravy.

With Darvish though Cashman and Steinbrener have to figure out if they're willing to risk future financial flexibility for the now. I think when you look at deals signed by similar pitchers like Greinke and Scherzer who albeit were better pitchers when they signed those contracts there's a chance Darvish comes at a hefty discount. Still might end up being a burden on the back-end given how pitchers age, but might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    This is my take as well.

That bullpen depth also bodes well for the Yankees should they need to call up someone like Adams, or move Warren into the rotation, due to injuries. You just need 4-5 solid innings out of them at that point.
    Love DRob, but given the market for relievers and his impending free agency after this year I'm definitely not opposed to shopping him and Warren (also a free agent). Obviously need a great return to pull the trigger on something like that, but you've got Chapman, Betances, Kahnle and Green. And you got some arms in the system worth of filling out the end of the bullpen and getting some "garbage" innings to prove themselves (ala Green).

The Yankees should keep their bullpen strong, but there's an argument to be made that they have an extra guy or possibly two that they could move without losing in the standings. As currently constructed you'll have to use a lot of good relievers in meaningless innings and even still risk guys falling out of rhythm. And come playoff time most teams augment their bullpen with their rotation something the Yankees didn't have to do. They also didn't have to give meaningful innings to a good reliever like Warren and only broke Kahnle out into key situations when they were clearly burning out Robertson and Green.

Also I think the idea of taking from the bullpen only comes with increasing the rotation depth. So if CC can only give you 4 or 5 innings, if you have 6 viable starters its not big deal especially if the other ones go deeper by getting an extra day of rest or if Montgomery occasionally switches to the bullpen in relief of CC.

Our pen depth wont really lose anything if we moved Betances and Warren really tho would it?

Still would have Kahnle, Green, Robertson and Chapman, with arms like Heller, German and Carroll coming soon.

Released Outright

Please find a way to dump Ellsbury

Thread Information