+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: The 197M thread.

At the time, Verlander seemed like a #2 or #3 and we would be lucky to get the wildcard. I dont think anyone expected us to be that close to the world series.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Definitely not fair to hang Verlander on Cash or the Yankees. Recall that he was not even dealt at the non-waiver deadline, he was dealt after that and cleared waivers. He was an extremely high priced guy pitching like a middle of the rotation starter in Detroit. I think the thought was he'd help Houston, not carry them to a title.
    Sure. Hindsight is 20/20. I certainly did not foresee his worth, nor I believe did many others. I did not mean to "hang" Cashman or anyone else.

But it was not totally unpredictable, given his past and the fact he had been pitching quite well in 2018. Give the Astros' management credit for making a key decision, which included understanding that getting him to throw more breaking pitches could revitalize him further. That decision brought them the WS. It would not have happened otherwise. The Yankees would have beaten them but for Verlander.

I'm surprised the Yankees or the Red Sox didn't put a claim just to block him going to the Astros. They didn't because they were worried about the Tigers just letting him go for nothing. I thought that would have been worth the gamble, though.* Evidently Hal and John Henry didn't agree.

*and as it turns out wouldn't have happened. The Astros gave up real value to get Verlander. No doubt his strong August influenced that, though.

The Tigers picked up $16M of the $56M he is owed in 2018/2019 to help get those prospects, there was a real chance they would have let him go if claimed and clear all of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Sure. Hindsight is 20/20. I certainly did not foresee his worth, nor I believe did many others. I did not mean to "hang" Cashman or anyone else.

But it was not totally unpredictable, given his past and the fact he had been pitching quite well in 2018. Give the Astros' management credit for making a key decision, which included understanding that getting him to throw more breaking pitches could revitalize him further. That decision brought them the WS. It would not have happened otherwise. The Yankees would have beaten them but for Verlander.
    The point is this, I could live with them not acquiring Verlander if the stated reason was performance or to expensive to acquire in player cost. However thats not the case as Cashman stated on the Michael Kay show the decison to not acquire him was strictly financial. . So this is where I have a much different take than many who post here. While many of you are celebrating the Yankees staying under the threshold and millions more in the Steinbrenner bank accounts, I'm pissed that I'm being charged premium prices and they let chump change (in relative terms) get in the way of number 28. BTW, this is a knock on Hal not Cashman. I'll state in again , for what they charge me I don't want to hear about the tax threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    The point is this, I could live with them not acquiring Verlander if the stated reason was performance or to expensive to acquire in player cost. However thats not the case as Cashman stated on the Michael Kay show the decison to not acquire him was strictly financial. . So this is where I have a much different take than many who post here. While many of you are celebrating the Yankees staying under the threshold and millions more in the Steinbrenner bank accounts, I'm pissed that I'm being charged premium prices and they let chump change (in relative terms) get in the way of number 28. BTW, this is a knock on Hal not Cashman. I'll state in again , for what they charge me I don't want to hear about the tax threshold.
    I understand your sentiment, but one has nothing to do with the other.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Thread Information