+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Yogi Buck

Re: The 197M thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Per Ken Rosenthal on twitter:

"#Yankees approximately $30M under $197M luxury-tax threshold, sources tell The Athletic. Plenty of room to make other moves, and additional trades would create even more flexibility.

1:14 PM - 12 Dec 2017"
    Yeah, one of the outfielders really needs to go, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury. Any would clear something.

If necessary, someone from the nearly $50 million bullpen might go.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    Yeah, one of the outfielders really needs to go, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury. Any would clear something.

If necessary, someone from the nearly $50 million bullpen might go.
    Bullpen excess far outweighs OF excess.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Yogi Buck

Jordan Montgomery is listed as having only .153 service time.

Just curious, is that correct? Seems hard to throw 150 innings and have so little service time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ontgjo01.shtml
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jordan Montgomery is listed as having only .153 service time.

Just curious, is that correct? Seems hard to throw 150 innings and have so little service time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ontgjo01.shtml
    Service time was delayed because he was in AAA for a couple weeks to start the season...I think. So we have 6 full seasons still, before he becomes a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Per Ken Rosenthal on twitter:

"#Yankees approximately $30M under $197M luxury-tax threshold, sources tell The Athletic. Plenty of room to make other moves, and additional trades would create even more flexibility.

1:14 PM - 12 Dec 2017"
    After adding Stanton.

Unreal.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Is there someone we're trying to pick up that we're trying to shed more payroll after the Headley dump?

I don't even see a $27-30M/yr player on the table/FA right now. The only thing we even have room for is another SP.

Whatever Cashman has up his sleeve, it's gonna be big.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    After adding Stanton.

Unreal.
    I don't get it. Cot's has us at $196,389,700 with Stanton and Castro and Headley gone so I don't see how we are under 30M unless it's another move in the making. But this will be unbelievable to get Stanton and be under the cap. I feel Hal was talking about this with Cashman before he approved the Stanton trade because of the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I don't get it. Cot's has us at $196,389,700 with Stanton and Castro and Headley gone so I don't see how we are under 30M unless it's another move in the making. But this will be unbelievable to get Stanton and be under the cap. I feel Hal was talking about this with Cashman before he approved the Stanton trade because of the contract.
    Nope, $157 w/o benefits.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...XPAvRQ/pubhtml

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...PAvRQ/pubhtml#

Cots has us at $171 mil + with benefits.

So about $26 mil under the cap.

And if they keep six outfielders, they are just stupid. Stanton, Judge, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury, Frazier.

So far they haven't looked very stupid.

And the one thing they have pushing up from the minors are arms. Any of Acevedo, German, Adams, Sheffield, Gallegos, Holder, Heller, etc. could be used to take a bullpen spot. Right now you have.

Chapman
    Robertson
    Kahlne
    Green
    Warren
    Shreve
    Betances

Betances and Warren are $5 mil each. And while I love, Robertson, if his $13 mil is needed to get a #1 ace, he gone.

If Cashman is going to relinquish top prospects, aim high and go for a young stud who you can combine with Severino to make for a dangerous 1-2 punch. Someone like Robbie Ray would be totally worth it.

When I hear names such as Cole and Fulmer, I don't get warm and fuzzy feelings at all as they both come with big question marks.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    If Cashman is going to relinquish top prospects, aim high and go for a young stud who you can combine with Severino to make for a dangerous 1-2 punch. Someone like Robbie Ray would be totally worth it.

When I hear names such as Cole and Fulmer, I don't get warm and fuzzy feelings at all as they both come with big question marks.
    Does James Paxton make you warm and fuzzy or no?

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Does James Paxton make you warm and fuzzy or no?
    Paxton is interesting - he's LH, has good stuff and seemed to pick it up a notch last year, but my concern with Paxton is he just turned 29 and has yet to demonstrate that he can be relied upon to give you at least 180 IP.

His 136 IP in 2017 is his career high.

Not the kind of guy I would rely upon to help carry the rotation along with Severino. If he can be had without giving up Frazier, Andujar, Adams, Sheffield or Florial, I would totally be interested in him as a #5 starter though.

NYYF Legend

Paxton is interesting - he's LH, has good stuff and seemed to pick it up a notch last year, but my concern with Paxton is he just turned 29 and has yet to demonstrate that he can be relied upon to give you at least 180 IP.

Not the kind of guy I would rely upon to help carry the rotation along with Severino. If he can be had without giving up Frazier, Andujar, Adams, Sheffield or Florial, I would totally be interested in him as a #5 starter though.
    Yeah, i'm not thinking he's an ace, but I think he would be a very appealing piece to fill the rotation out. I would actually give up Frazier and some of our lesser prospects, but it would be anchored as Frazier being the big piece.

NYYF Cy Young

Thanks for the clarification. I stored the spreadsheet.

This is the Cot's contracts from BP that I use and got the numbers for the 25 man roster.

http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com...-york-yankees/

I don't know the differences and will look at it closer when I have time. Agree with other post on the number of OFers. We need to move either Gardner or Ells of both.

Yogi Buck

Has he been hurt? Why did he shuffle so much back to the minors. His stats look great. Is he a soft tossing lefty?

This is the Mariners, why wasn't he give a chance at 250 innings?

NYYF Legend

Has he been hurt? Why did he shuffle so much back to the minors. His stats look great. Is he a soft tossing lefty?

This is the Mariners, why wasn't he give a chance at 250 innings?
    He's not a soft tossing lefty. He's mid-90's and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    He's not a soft tossing lefty. He's mid-90's and upwards.
    Bud does bring up a good point, though. What is the reason for Paxton's apparent inability to provide more innings?

I admittedly do not know enough about his history - is it due to injuries, or is it a matter of the M's misusing him, or something else?

NYYF Legend

Bud does bring up a good point, though. What is the reason for Paxton's apparent inability to provide more innings?

I admittedly do not know enough about his history - is it due to injuries, or is it a matter of the M's misusing him, or something else?
    He's had some injuries that have sidelined him. I can't speak to the earlier years though when he broke in to the majors.

NYYF Legend

Paxton is hyper injury prone, or at least hyper injured since his sophomore season in 2014.

Strained lat, fingernail issues, strained forearm, strained pec, all on top of some bad luck with getting hit by a batted ball on his pitching elbow.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Fulmer can be that, and I don't know about RR, but overall I agree with these sentiments.

I'm in pure greed mode right now.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

I would love Paxton. His injury history is more random than worrisome. Get him, sign CC, and you're still under 197 mil.

Paxton's durability scares me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    I would love Paxton. His injury history is more random than worrisome. Get him, sign CC, and you're still under 197 mil.
    I really like Paxton's upside, but how do you see a strained lat, strained forearm, strained pec, as well as fingernail issues in two separate seasons as random injuries in a pitcher?
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I really like Paxton's upside, but how do you see a strained lat, strained forearm, strained pec, as well as fingernail issues in two separate seasons as random injuries in a pitcher?
    The only real arm issue was the strained forearm in May, which only made him miss 3 starts. The finger things were unrelated to each other, and he's had no problems since. Pec strains aren't long-term or reoccurring injuries, either. He may be a little injury-prone, but nothing really scares me about his history.

I think Paxton is a real "buy low" type, and the idea of having 3 LHSPs makes me

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    I'm right there with you.

Thread Information