Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The Hunt for Kevin Maitan

As we switch gears...
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Re: The Hunt for Kevin Maitan

Definitely see them going after some of the ones the Braves lost

Haha, I just posted about him in the other thread.

Use the international money we have on him and others.

Also there may be reasons for some or all of them, but 3 of the top 15 guys from last summer are still unsigned:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...gykXx4X26Mt.97

Gotta use that IFA money somewhere.

Unless they can roll it?

NYYF Legend

The Yankees should send out a presentation provided heís ok with playing in a large market.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Pass.

NYYF Legend

They should try and scoop the remaining biggies this season (Salinas, Marte, Cabello, etc) with the $3.5, and then see what Maitan will cost from the 2018 budget.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Iíd prefer to spread it out over other guys. Maitan doesnt do it for me.

NYYF Legend

Meh... none of these guys can help next year
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    They should try and scoop the remaining biggies this season (Salinas, Marte, Cabello, etc) with the $3.5, and then see what Maitan will cost from the 2018 budget.
    I know the Yanks were connected to a few of those remaining biggies, but why haven’t any of them signed by this point? Is that a red flag?

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I know the Yanks were connected to a few of those remaining biggies, but why havenít any of them signed by this point? Is that a red flag?
    They wanted to keep as much International money for Ohtani. If they signed Ohtani, the rumor is the Yankees had deals in place to sign those guys with their 2018 IFA monies.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    They wanted to keep as much International money for Ohtani. If they signed Ohtani, the rumor is the Yankees had deals in place to sign those guys with their 2018 IFA monies.
    Interesting - so it seems they were going to be Yankees either way. Now itís about signing some Atlanta players on top of those players.

NYYF Legend

Those guys couldn't get 2018 money though. They're the 2017 class, not the Braves prospects. They'd have to wait until next J2 period to be reclassified to the next pool.

NYYF Legend

Those guys couldn't get 2018 money though. They're the 2017 class, not the Braves prospects. They'd have to wait until next J2 period to be reclassified to the next pool.
    So then my question is - why were they so willing to wait this out with the Yanks? Why wasnít anyone else interested in them?

True, but those prospects were willing to wait on that reclassification. Now, they don't have to if the Yankees decided to sign them prior to that 2018 cutoff.

So then my question is - why were they so willing to wait this out with the Yanks? Why wasnít anyone else interested in them?
    Who says they're not? These type of handshake agreements have been renege on plenty of times from both sides of those negotiations.

NYYF Legend

It's the $64,000 question. I think there are basically only two possibilities:

1) They have agreements, or basic ideas, of where they intend to sign, but were waiting on the Ohtani situation to resolve before they could receive the commitment that was agreed upon.

2) They're not who we thought they were.

By the way, early 2018 IFA rumors that BA has talked about has the Yankees not rumored to be attached to any of those top prospects yet. I wonder why? Could it be they have some prior commitments towards their 2018 IFA Bonus money.

This is the play

Just to be clear, does that mean they'd have to wait until 2019 if they didn't sign in 2017? Or am I reading this wrong? I'm not super familiar with this aspect of the international free agent game.

I know the Yanks were connected to a few of those remaining biggies, but why haven’t any of them signed by this point? Is that a red flag?
    The ex-Braves prospects can't re-sign yet. The window starts tomorrow and runs through January 15th.

Per MLBTR:

All MLB teams but the Braves can sign the prospects between December 5th of this year and January 15th of the next. Any players that do not sign within that period will no longer be eligible to receive a signing bonus. The Braves are eligible to pursue any still-unsigned prospects (without a bonus offer) beginning on May 1, 2018.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    The ex-Braves prospects can't re-sign yet. The window starts tomorrow and runs through January 15th.

Per MLBTR:
    I was referring to Salinas, Marte, Cabello, etc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cleanuphtr24 View Post
    Just to be clear, does that mean they'd have to wait until 2019 if they didn't sign in 2017? Or am I reading this wrong? I'm not super familiar with this aspect of the international free agent game.
    No, the remaining prospects from this signing period would have to wait until the 2018 J2 period to get 2018 money. Otherwise they have to sign with teams using whats left of their 2017 pools.

The Braves prospects are allowed to be signed right now with either 2017 OR 2018 money as a condition of their release from the organization.

No, the remaining prospects from this signing period would have to wait until the 2018 J2 period to get 2018 money. Otherwise they have to sign with teams using whats left of their 2017 pools.

The Braves prospects are allowed to be signed right now with either 2017 OR 2018 money as a condition of their release from the organization.
    And what does "J2" mean?

Thread Information