+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12

Re: Report: Aaron Boone is the new manager

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Girardi's reason not to challenge(didn't want to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm???) was the most ridiculous thing of the whole ordeal. He royally screwed up; he should've admitted it and owned it, not come up with a pathetic excuse for his poor judgment. Didn't want to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm? C'mun, did he expect anyone to buy that BS?

As Bill said, he should've challenged it himself, without any assistance from the video review guy. If you're wrong, you still have 1 challenge left and in 1 inning, you can ask the umps for a review of any close calls anyways. There really was virtually nothing to lose by challenging, but a whole lot to gain by it.
    Yeah, he made a mistake, a bad one even, but Green was the one who gave up the ensuing grand slam. I thought the reactions at the time were way way way over the top (booing him at the start of the next game? really?), but none of it matters now, plus we even ended up winning the series.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Yeah, he made a mistake, a bad one even, but Green was the one who gave up the ensuing grand slam. I thought the reactions at the time were way way way over the top (booing him at the start of the next game? really?), but none of it matters now, plus we even ended up winning the series.
    Green should've been out of that inning though. The mistake was a horrible one, but the excuse was way worse, IMO. Yes, we did win the series, but instead of 1-1(I'm assuming we would go on to win that game), we were down 2-0 with 3 elimination games in a row. The team showed great resiliency in coming back, and that should bode very well for the future.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Green should've been out of that inning though. The mistake was a horrible one, but the excuse was way worse, IMO.
    Agreed. I think Girardi deserved every single bit of ire thrown at him after the postgame press conference.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Nope, still an absurd overreaction IMO by pretty much everyone, or at least the media and the fans. The game didn't end right then, they battled into extra innings, Girardi probably barely even knew that he'd screwed up by the time of the press conference, it was hours before that and a ton had happened in the interim. The middle of playoff games is not the time for the manager to go back and closely examine decisions from hours before. I said that night that I was sure he'd apologize the next day, and that is exactly what happened once he had some time to process what exactly happened.

I wasn't super pro or con Girardi this season, but I thought how that all went down was ridiculous, although again, none of it matters one bit now and it sounds like he wouldn't have been retained even if he swept the Indians, Astros and Dodgers en route to a WS title.

I'm sorry but an excuse of "I didn't want to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm" is indefensible. Of course he owned up to it the next day because everyone called him out on such a ridiculous excuse.

You are not going to convince me, I lived through it also. It wasn't an excuse, that was why he didn't do it. He was wrong, he figured that out once he had some time to analyze what actually happened, and he admitted his mistake within like 12 hours. I was embarrassed for both the fan base and the writers as to how they reacted to that whole thing, and I'm embarrassed for people still angry about it now.

NYYF Legend

To me the result of the games does not matter nearly as much as what the person actually did in this instance - much like BABIP vs actual AVG, or a pitcher who keep leaving pitches up in a start but the opposing hitters are just missing them. Just because the team won doesn't mitigate questions about the team's leader and galvanizing force exhibiting an instinctual self-preservation and lack of culpability in the face of roaring flames. IMO that's a, "you can't unring the bell" type failure.

And I'm someone who wouldn't have been mad if they brought him back, but from my seat, he earned every ounce of it that night.

While I'm not angry about it, I am sorry to cause you embarrassment.

Yep, a lot of people felt and evidently still feel that way, moot point now.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    While I'm not angry about it, I am sorry to cause you embarrassment.
    I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    You are not going to convince me, I lived through it also. It wasn't an excuse, that was why he didn't do it. He was wrong, he figured that out once he had some time to analyze what actually happened, and he admitted his mistake within like 12 hours. I was embarrassed for both the fan base and the writers as to how they reacted to that whole thing, and I'm embarrassed for people still angry about it now.
    That's fine, I don't have to convince you of anything. The vast majority of us know that Joe came up with a ludicrous excuse why he didn't challenge. When he was universally ridiculed about his excuse THEN he owned up to it as he should've done in the first place.

Didn't want to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm? I mean, come on...that makes no sense whatsoever. If anything, Green needed a breather at that time.

I still like what I've read about his character, but here's my first impression after that presser (perhaps I should take his nervousness into account): Lot's of repetitiveness, full of cliches and saying (sometimes awkwardly) what he thinks the FO, press (and fans) want to hear. He doesn't appear as convincing, self-assured, bright and baseball savvy (or experienced) as Alex Cora, so I hope that doesn't come into play against our rivals.

Again, first impression and I can be totally wrong.

Yeah, I keep hearing how smart Boone is but I have yet to see any sign of that, as a player, an announcer, or that press conference. Maybe that doesn't really matter, it's baseball, not rocket science, but I would feel better about him if I thought he was a notch smarter.

I hope he wasnít primarily hired to be a puppet and coddler.

NYYF Legend

I agree. I'm not at all worried, but I couldn't find any articles about how Boone was "a future manager in the making" or anything along those lines from before the hire. Like, there's almost none of it. And as others have already said many times before, his ESPN analysis left no impression on me, let alone one of savant or burgeoning managerial mind.

I trust that they got it right though - I have no fear about the decision to hire him. I like almost everything I've heard from him and found about him while searching the internet since the hire, but none of it centers around a prodigy. Instead it points to a unique combination of baseball lifer grit and progressive open-mindedness. So we'll see...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I still like what I've read about his character, but here's my first impression after that presser (perhaps I should take his nervousness into account): Lot's of repetitiveness, full of cliches and saying (sometimes awkwardly) what he thinks the FO, press (and fans) want to hear. He doesn't appear as convincing, self-assured, bright and baseball savvy (or experienced) as Alex Cora, so I hope that doesn't come into play against our rivals.

Again, first impression and I can be totally wrong.
    I've gotta be honest, I know next to nothing about Boone. I was actually leaning towards Muelens or Beltran with an experienced bench coach like Pena or something like that.

That being said the Yankees seem to be unanimously blown away by what Boone brings to the table and I actually thought he looked good in the PC. He seemed confident and pretty comfortable. He took time to ingest the questions before answering. Sure some of the answers were cliche and trite but thats what these things are all about.

I did enjoy when he said we're chasing championships but he put that caveat that it isn't a failure if we dont win it all. I can't remember the exact quote but I was happy about it.

So my take was much different than yours and I guess it doesnt matter what we think anyway lol.

The players play and as long as he isn't completely atrocious we should be alright.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    I canít stand him but Schilling was 3 time WS bloody sock champion who was super popular. Not to me. Boone had a nice little career but could they have paid him over 500k? Mendoza is making 260k.
    https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...an-going-rate/

But the main reason the Yankees couldnít get Boone on whatís become the new standard rate for first-time managers Ė three years starting below seven figures and ending close to $1 million ó is that he is said to have made $1 million-plus at ESPN, according to sources (as much as $1.5 million, one person said, though that is unconfirmed).

NYYF Cy Young

In fact, two sources say there is a misperception that management was unhappy with Joe Girardi for publicly scolding Sanchez in regard to his defense last season.

Actually, they say, the issue was more that Girardi wasnít tough enough on Sanchez behind closed doors, at least in terms of his practice habits, which may have led to the catcher regressing defensively, compared to his rookie season.

According to Harper, Sanchez had been doing catching drills during practice in the early part of the season, as he had been doing when he was in the minors in 2016. But Sanchez apparently got sick of doing the drills and told Girardi, who told Sanchez he could stop doing them.

In his article, Harper mentions that the hiring of Aaron Boone as Girardiís replacement is meant to move away from Girardiís style of managing, which was more about strategy and less about building relationships ó at least, the kind of relationships the Yankees want their players to have with the manager.

Still, the bottom line is that the Yankees saw the dynamic as part of a larger issue. That is, if Girardi had stronger relationships with players he would have been able to deal more openly with Sanchez to prevent his regression.

And thatís at least partly why you heard Boone at his press conference stressing the importance of building relationships in the clubhouse.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-girardi...154050412.html
    Joe Girardi reportedly 'wasn't tough enough' on Gary Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That's what I've been saying, but ESPN doesn't pay its main analysts well.

Weird hire that I stil can't wrap my head around. Not a big enough name to get the job on being a star and no baseball history to suggest manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bernard View Post
    Weird hire that I stil can't wrap my head around. Not a big enough name to get the job on being a star and no baseball history to suggest manager.
    Agree.

Calls a tool a tool

Idea for a thread title for the Aaron Boone performance thread........Boonie's Boondoggles?

Thread Information