+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Report: Aaron Boone is the new manager

I was really hoping we’d get a huge surprise and Arod got the job. Not diminishing the choice. But if I was making the decision that’s who I would have chosen. But that’s just a random fan who has limited knowledge of how to make these decisions. I trust Cashman on this, like I’ve said.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Have to think the Yankees ended up with their 2nd or 3rd choice behind Muelens and/or Thomson.
    If the Yankees wanted Thompson as manager, he would have been promoted to manager. Letting him go to the Phillies means they didn't like him that much.

Man what a week...

First Eli, now Aaron.

Hope this isn't another Ben McAdoo situation.

Alright Booney, Bring your A game.

NYYF Legend

Rosenthal is as skeptical about this move as these guys will get when the hire is a former colleague like Boone is.

https://theathletic.com/172576/2017/...great-unknown/

They don’t care. Aaron Boone has never coached or managed at any level, has not even worn a uniform since 2009. And the New York Yankees — 27-time World Series champion, world-renowned, valued in the billions — do not care.

I’m not going to condemn the Yankees’ hiring of Boone as their new manager, not going to predict whether he will succeed or fail. Frankly, I have no idea how Boone will fare, and neither do the Yankees. Which is sort of the point. In 30-plus years covering baseball, I cannot remember a team hiring a manager with this level of risk.
    The Yankees, though, are taking it to the extreme. Their job is the most pressure-packed in the sport. And they’re shrugging it off by saying, “Aaron Boone is a great guy. He’ll communicate with the players. He’ll collaborate with the front office. He’ll be fine.”

The Yankees — specifically general manager Brian Cashman — might very well be right. Boone, 44, is warm, bright and engaging, a delightful guy to be around. He might prove the ideal choice for a team that came within one game of the World Series last season in a year of supposed transition, a team that — in Cashman’s apparent estimation — will be talented enough to overcome any missteps by a rookie manager.
    I admire Cashman for making a change because he felt Joe Girardi was not the right voice for a younger club moving forward. I admire Cashman’s fearlessness in selecting Boone rather than a safer pick such as San Francisco Giants bench coach Hensley Meulens, who — like the Boston Red Sox’s new manager, Alex Cora — at least has coaching experience. But I do wonder if this is Cashman’s Icarus moment, the moment when he flew too close to the sun.

Few in the media will rip this hire. Virtually every one of us enjoyed conversing with Boone during his playing days; virtually every one of us views him as a special person. But I’ll bet the American League’s veteran managers — the Baltimore Orioles’ Buck Showalter, the Cleveland Indians’ Terry Francona, and the Los Angeles Angels’ Mike Scioscia — will not be upset to match wits with a novice in the Yankees’ dugout. And I’ll bet those managers and others were not upset that the Yankees let go of Girardi, who managed with an edge even when losing by a lopsided score and rarely got caught in a strategic bind.
    Rest assured, Boone will sound great at his introductory news conference Saturday; every manager sounds great that first day. But talk to me when games fail to go according to the front office’s plan, when the fans start pining for Girardi as the season teeters, when the first “Boone-doggle” headline appears on the back page of the New York Post. The Yankees do not care that they are giving one of the most prized jobs in sports to an absolute novice. And an absolute novice they will get.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Different sport but Steve Kerrs first coaching job was with GSW. I think we overstate experience.

Cashman isn't ever reckless.
    I agree. Doc Rivers and Jason Kidd have also had pretty good coaching careers despite not having experience either. And I, personally, think that coaches matter more in the NBA than they do in MLB.

Edit: If a candidate shows that they have the right aptitude, communication skills, insight and knowledge of the sport needed to succeed, I don't see why a lack of experience would prevent you from choosing them to lead your club.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Good luck Aaron Boone in your managerial stint as a New York Yankee.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

sunday night baseball just became more watchable.

well, hopefully.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Man what a week...

First Eli, now Aaron.

Hope this isn't another Ben McAdoo situation.

Alright Booney, Bring your A game.
    The McAdoo situation arose in part because they promoted from within.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

22 years ago the headlines said "Clueless Joe!" when Torre replaced Buck. Things turned out OK. Let's hope things turn out ok this time too. Maybe Cashman knows something that we don't. Anyway I would assume they will hire a decent bench coach to work with Aaron. Now with a manager signed Cashman can concentrate on trying to get Ohtani to come here.

Devoted Member

SNY has had much more news coverage of this hire than YES. Disappointing.

Didn't we already have Aaron Boone as manager, back when his name was Bucky Dent?

For most highly skilled positions, a great interview is only a deciding factor when you're choosing from a pool of clearly qualified candidates. It's usually not the first criterion. A great interview is nice, but isn't it also nice to have some evidence that the person can do the job rather than just talk about it with polish? Some level of experience with coaching, managing, anything related, seems useful to me in judging how someone will actually do the job.

Obviously, I'm speculating here, but it looks to me like Cashman wants a manager who will handle the media well, get a big hand on opening day, and let the front office make all the decisions, including in-game managing. I don't know, maybe he's right. I'd prefer a manager who knows something about managing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I can’t help but think he’s not going to be the final word in decision making in the dugout either, John.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I can’t help but think he’s not going to be the final word in decision making in the dugout either, John.
    That's what I meant. I expect virtually everything - including the lineup card, the roles for pitchers, infield shifts, and whether to bunt - to be dictated from upstairs. Boone will have the final word, but only as long as the final word is "Okay."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I'm totally on board with the vast majority of the decision making being driven by analytics from upstairs. I like that aspect of this hiring very much. If Boone is the most personable of the group they interviewed with the best chance of relaying that message clearly so that it gains the greatest traction, then that's fine with me.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Yeah I don’t think it’s a bad idea either. If they have a team working on things behind the scenes and he’s playing the puppet, it may revolutionize their decision making. And it could turn out to be genius. It would explain why they hired someone with zero experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That's what I meant. I expect virtually everything - including the lineup card, the roles for pitchers, infield shifts, and whether to bunt - to be dictated from upstairs. Boone will have the final word, but only as long as the final word is "Okay."
    exactly. It’s going to be interesting to watch and see how it pans out. If this is one reason Girardi walked, than I’m less annoyed about it. If there was a plan to change how their team is run. And I doubt Girardi would have agreed to it. I still wish he was the manager, but I’m on board here.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I have no idea how anyone could be happy or upset with this. None of us know anything about Boone's managerial style. I trust Cashman so let's see how he does.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I'm totally on board with the vast majority of the decision making being driven by analytics from upstairs. I like that aspect of this hiring very much. If Boone is the most personable of the group they interviewed with the best chance of relaying that message clearly so that it gains the greatest traction, then that's fine with me.
    What's this shows is that Cashman has a giant pair of brass balls. It's a gamble because besides Wedge with managerial experience, we don't know if any of those guys interviewed will be good managers. After 20 years, I think Cashman deserves the benefit of the doubt to make this choice. If it turns out to be a bad decision, I expect Cashman to rectify that mistake rather quickly. We'll know by the end of next season if Boone is the right guy for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Different sport but Steve Kerrs first coaching job was with GSW. I think we overstate experience.

Cashman isn't ever reckless.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Players go straight from college to the NBA. There's no minor leagues and far less nuances for a player to learn than MLB.

I disagree that some level of experience is overstated but I guess time will tell.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Why all of the negatives about Boone
    He wasn't even a good player. He was a journeyman who had a career OPS+ below 100 and otherwise wasn't noteworthy aside from his timely hit in the playoffs one year. Heck, he was only a Yankee for 54 games.
    It's not like he was known for having some great feel for the game or high baseball IQ. He was just a mediocre player that caught a shooting star. If not for that one home run, no one would even remember him. Honestly, I doubt I'd even remember he was a Yankee if not for that home run.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this ending well.

A new manager with zero coaching or managerial experience at any level of professional baseball taking over a young team with an influx of top prospects in the immediate future just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Agreed. I can't help but think they picked someone for this, rather than in spite of it. They wanted someone who will follow marching orders so they went to the bottom of the ranks. If you thought Girardi was married to the binder, remember he got fired for not following it enough They want a guy who uses zero instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    That's exactly my problem with it. Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but forgive me for being less than thrilled that Boone will be popping his coaching cherry for the one win away from the World Series New York Yankees. I felt that Meulens checked a lot of boxes (as Snatch pointed out in his post).

Anyway, it's more clear than ever that Cashman was looking for his puppet. I truly hope it works out.
    Bench coach, 1/3B coach, hitting coach seem like a reasonable start
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    He wasn't even a good player. He was a journeyman who had a career OPS+ below 100 and otherwise wasn't noteworthy aside from his timely hit in the playoffs one year. Heck, he was only a Yankee for 54 games.
    It's not like he was known for having some great feel for the game or high baseball IQ. He was just a mediocre player that caught a shooting star. If not for that one home run, no one would even remember him. Honestly, I doubt I'd even remember he was a Yankee if not for that home run.

Agreed. I can't help but think they picked someone for this, rather than in spite of it. They wanted someone who will follow marching orders so they went to the bottom of the ranks. If you thought Girardi was married to the binder, remember he got fired for not following it enough They want a guy who uses zero instinct.

Bench coach, 1/3B coach, hitting coach seem like a reasonable start
    Most of the best MLB managers weren't good players.

Do you guys really think Cashman wants a puppet as manager?

Furthermore, do we know enough information as to why Cashman and Girardi clashed about analytics? Maybe, it's as simple as Girardi not properly communicating the analytics to his players? I don't know, but neither do any of us as to what the core of the issue(s) was between those two guys. I just don't buy the simple narrative that Cashman wants a patsy as manager. It could be that Hal and Cashman wants the front office/analytical people being on same page as the field management people in order to get most out of their players.

IMO, it appears communication and personality issues were the real reason for this business divorce.

NYYF Cy Young

You're comparing apples to oranges. Players go straight from college to the NBA. There's no minor leagues and far less nuances for a player to learn than MLB.

I disagree that some level of experience is overstated but I guess time will tell.
    And baseball has the highest number of managers who ran the team while they were still actively playing in all the professional sports. Pete Rose, Frank Robinson and Joe Torre are just some of the names of those who managed the team while they were still playing, with obviously no previous coaching experience. If there are really that many nuances to learn, then why did they get the manager jobs without having that coaching experience first?

Coaching experience is overrated for baseball and it is simply ignoring the sport's history if you think that coaches have always had to spend some time coaching after playing before they're chosen to manage a team.

And head coaches in the NBA are way more important to a team's success than MLB managers.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    And baseball has the highest number of managers who ran the team while they were still actively playing in all the professional sports. Pete Rose, Frank Robinson and Joe Torre are just some of the names of those who managed the team while they were still playing, with obviously no previous coaching experience. If there are really that many nuances to learn, then why did they get the manager jobs without having that coaching experience first?

Coaching experience is overrated for baseball and it is simply ignoring the sport's history if you think that coaches have always had to spend some time coaching after playing before they're chosen to manage a team.

And head coaches in the NBA are way more important to a team's success than MLB managers.
    Not ignoring the sport's history at all.

Your examples above only drive home my point - how well did their teams fare?

In each example, these player/managers were well-known names hired to help sell tickets for poor to mediocre teams.

Again, apples and oranges.

Let me ask you this: How many first-year managers, with no previous coaching or managerial experience at any level of professional baseball, have won a World Series?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Yogi is the only one I can remember that even made it to the WS. With that said, with this new trend towards younger managers with limited or no experience, I expect there is going to be a WS team that wins it all with a such a manager that has no coaching or managerial experience within the next ten years.

NYYF Cy Young

Not ignoring the sport's history at all.

Your examples above only drive home my point - how well did their teams fare?

In each example, these player/managers were well-known names hired to help sell tickets for poor to mediocre teams.

Again, apples and oranges.

Let me ask you this: How many first-year managers, with no previous coaching or managerial experience at any level of professional baseball, have won a World Series?
    Pete Rose won manager of the year in his first full season as a player/manager in 1985 (the Reds went 89-72). Then they finished 83-79 in 1986, his last year as a player/manager. So it’s not like success is completely out of the question. How exactly does that “drive home your point?” And for all of these examples, they had the double duty of being both a player and manager. Boone only has to do one of the two things.

That’s a ridiculous question to ask of any first year manager, even those with previous coaching experience (of which there were four all time). Way to move the goalposts.

Thread Information