+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Devoted Member

Re: Report: Aaron Boone is the new manager

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Giants beat reporter implied Meulens not leaving SF wasn't his decision. If the Giants didn't want him to go -- why was he allowed to be interviewed?
    I think you may be misreading. It wasn’t his decision for the Yankees to not hire him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I have no idea how anyone could be happy or upset with this. None of us know anything about Boone's managerial style. I trust Cashman so let's see how he does.
    And that is what bothers me about the decision. Boone is such an unknown that I have no idea how he is going to be as manager of a young team filled to the brim with potential to be a force in the playoffs for several years to come.

Really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this ending well.

A new manager with zero coaching or managerial experience at any level of professional baseball taking over a young team with an influx of top prospects in the immediate future just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I have no idea how anyone could be happy or upset with this. None of us know anything about Boone's managerial style.
    That's exactly my problem with it. Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but forgive me for being less than thrilled that Boone will be popping his coaching cherry for the one win away from the World Series New York Yankees. I felt that Meulens checked a lot of boxes (as Snatch pointed out in his post).

Anyway, it's more clear than ever that Cashman was looking for his puppet. I truly hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    At the very least we won’t have to hear Boone announce anymore. He was awful.
    Yes! That's one of the benefits to naming Boone manager.

Aaron bleeping Boone, folks. Hoping for the best. I trust Cashman's judgment(hard not to lately considering the state of the organization).

NYYF Legend

At least he won’t be on ESPN anymore.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    That's exactly my problem with it. Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but forgive me for being less than thrilled that Boone will be popping his coaching cherry for the one win away from the World Series New York Yankees. I felt that Meulens checked a lot of boxes (as Snatch pointed out in his post).

Anyway, it's more clear than ever that Cashman was looking for his puppet. I truly hope it works out.
    So if Meulens was chosen, he wouldn't be Cashman's puppet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this ending well.

A new manager with zero coaching or managerial experience at any level of professional baseball taking over a young team with an influx of top prospects in the immediate future just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Different sport but Steve Kerrs first coaching job was with GSW. I think we overstate experience.

Cashman isn't ever reckless.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post

Have to think the Yankees ended up with their 2nd or 3rd choice behind Muelens and/or Thomson.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Different sport but Steve Kerrs first coaching job was with GSW. I think we overstate experience.

Cashman badly wants to have another WS winning team which would cement his GM legacy. I can't see Cashman not doing is due diligence in choosing the best available candidate.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post

I agree... this isn’t Jerry reese we are talking about here. Cash usually knows what he is doing.

I will feel better about this if we have an experienced bench coach. Maybe Willie Randolph would be interested? Tony Peña? Maybe even Al Pedrique?

NYYF Legend

I believe the last time Yankees hired a manager with no previous experience was back in 1964.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Not a fan of this. Hope he proves me wrong.

I preferred Muelens
    This. Meulens was way more qualified.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Mike Mazzeo‏
    Verified account

Aaron Boone is said to have been the pick due to his "polish." An engaging personality who embraces analytics #Yankees
    What does Cashman care if he speaks Eastern European languages?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I bet you it's more than a 1M.
    There are 6 MLB managers making over 1mil a year. Bochy, Scioscia, Maddon, Mattingly, Hurdle and Showalter. And Hurdle is barely over 1mil. No reason to pay Boone in the top 20%.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I believe the last time Yankees hired a manager with no previous experience was back in 1964.
    Piniella, 1986? (I think he may have been a batting coach or something but hadn't managed in majors or MiLB)

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    There are 6 MLB managers making over 1mil a year. Bochy, Scioscia, Maddon, Mattingly, Hurdle and Showalter. And Hurdle is barely over 1mil. No reason to pay Boone in the top 20%.
    We'll see, but he's going to make more than he earned from ESPN which has to exceed 1M.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    This. Meulens was way more qualified.
    Which makes this move all the more surprising. What do the Yankees exactly see in Boone?

NYYF Legend

Thanks for this info - surprised to learn this.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    What does Cashman care if he speaks Eastern European languages?

NYYF Legend

Interesting ... Francona doesn't make $1M?

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Which makes this move all the more surprising. What do the Yankees exactly see in Boone?
    A memorable figure in Yankees history who's willing to take orders from Cashman.

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account
    @Feinsand
    20m20 minutes ago
    More
    I’ve guessed all along that Eric Wedge might wind up as the Yankees’ bench coach. Given his previous relationship with Boone - he managed him in Cleveland - it would make perfect sense.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Mike Mazzeo‏
    Verified account

@MazzNYDN
    42s
    43 seconds ago

More
    Aaron Boone is said to have been the pick due to his "polish." An engaging personality who embraces analytics #Yankees
    Polish. That sounds like something a WFAN caller would say.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Thanks for this info - surprised to learn this.
    I'm not sure that information is accurate as Francona makes more than 1M.

Thread Information