+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Report: Aaron Boone is the new manager

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I may be downplaying it.

I will say though that the decisions you listed are all collaborative efforts with the veteran coaches that are with him in the dugout in my opinion. Bullpen decisions are absolutely discussed amongst the bench coach and pitching coach well in advance of any change. Pinch-hitting is definitely something that the three coaches on the bench will run by each other. And the Girardi replay mishap in the ALDS (if that's what you're referring to) is exactly the type collaborative effort that Boone was hired for - to speak to as many people as possible across "all paygrades" to make the most informed decision. Girardi's problem in that moment was that he refused to speak/accept information from all of his "paygrades" and chose to fly solo instead.

If Boone goes out there and starts ignoring/denying input, trying to puff his chest out and prove everyone that he can do it all by himself, then I think that becomes the enormously risky situation many people are concerned about.

I just think that Boone was specifically hired because that attitude was not in his nature. From everything I've read he's a guy that actively wants to hear all sides and angles of a debate, whether it's an ongoing discussion or a challenge that needs a decision in 30 seconds.

We shall see though. At this point I'm personally not even worried a little about it. I'm more concerned with how the players are going to perform in 2018 than any fears about Boone's actions.
    Excellent comment. Just excellent.

Well done.

NYYF Legend

My wife walked by while I'm watching this press conference and said, "hold on, which one is Boone?"

I pointed him out, and she says, "Oh I thought that was Torre. He looks a lot like him."

I wanted to waive her off dismissively, but then I looked and she was totally right - he bears a pretty strong resemblance to a young Torre at some angles:

Son of a gun - I never even considered that!! Hope he has as much success as Joe did here in the Bronx, if not more.

My wife walked by while I'm watching this press conference and said, "hold on, which one is Boone?"

I pointed him out, and she says, "Oh I thought that was Torre. He looks a lot like him."

I wanted to waive her off dismissively, but then I looked and she was totally right - he bears a pretty strong resemblance to a young Torre at some angles:

I thought that, too. I think it's the nose/eyes with the NY hat pulled down.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Boone received 4M for 3 years which is probably a pay cut from his ESPN job.

Cashman making some really good comments on YES.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    At least he knows that the Yankees will be around in 3-4 years

Cashman on Michael Kay Show.

Make the Yankees great again!!

So the Yankees will pay Aaron Boone less money for the lenght of the 3 year deal than Girardi would have made in one year.

Very impressed with Boone, especially with his comment concerning the coaching staff and experience; he said it was a good thing to have, but he wants " smart " sitting next to him above all else. Seems like a very sincere guy, who wants to " impact " the players to get to that next level of greatness. Honest and forthcoming.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

I may be downplaying it.

I will say though that the decisions you listed are all collaborative efforts with the veteran coaches that are with him in the dugout in my opinion. Bullpen decisions are absolutely discussed amongst the bench coach and pitching coach well in advance of any change. Pinch-hitting is definitely something that the three coaches on the bench will run by each other. And the Girardi replay mishap in the ALDS (if that's what you're referring to) is exactly the type collaborative effort that Boone was hired for - to speak to as many people as possible across "all paygrades" to make the most informed decision. Girardi's problem in that moment was that he refused to speak/accept information from all of his "paygrades" and chose to fly solo instead.

If Boone goes out there and starts ignoring/denying input, trying to puff his chest out and prove everyone that he can do it all by himself, then I think that becomes the enormously risky situation many people are concerned about.

I just think that Boone was specifically hired because that attitude was not in his nature. From everything I've read he's a guy that actively wants to hear all sides and angles of a debate, whether it's an ongoing discussion or a challenge that needs a decision in 30 seconds.

We shall see though. At this point I'm personally not even worried a little about it. I'm more concerned with how the players are going to perform in 2018 than any fears about Boone's actions.
    Girardi had 30 seconds to make he decision that resulted in the ALDS "mishap". Not a lot of time to collaborate.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Girardi had 30 seconds to make he decision that resulted in the ALDS "mishap". Not a lot of time to collaborate.

Bill, that's true.

However, if my starting Catcher tells me it hit the bat, and there is some mumbling in the dugout, I challenge. In that specific situation, what did you have to lose? It would have been a foul tip, caught by the Catcher for Strike 3, end of inning (and probably a win for the Yankees.). Joe should have at least come out and engaged the HP umpire, while getting more clarity from Sanchez as to what happened. It was a terrible mistake.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Bill, that's true.

However, if my starting Catcher tells me it hit the bat, and there is some mumbling in the dugout, I challenge. In that specific situation, what did you have to lose? It would have been a foul tip, caught by the Catcher for Strike 3, end of inning (and probably a win for the Yankees.). Joe should have at least come out and engaged the HP umpire, while getting more clarity from Sanchez as to what happened. It was a terrible mistake.
    Agreed, even in the slim chance the appeal was denied, still have one protest and next inning umps can choose to review.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

I'm not sure that information is accurate as Francona makes more than 1M.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Agreed, even in the slim chance the appeal was denied, still have one protest and next inning umps can choose to review.
    This is not mentioned enough. And you know that anything close, the umps would review from the 7th inning on.

At the start of the press conference, Boone was very nervous, but he started to calm down and was very good during last half of the press conference. I really liked his answers to questions in the last 15-20 minutes.

I thought it would be under 1mil a year. Not much over but probably incentives that would add to base salary. ESPN does not pay well unless you're a top, top guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    I thought it would be under 1mil a year. Not much over but probably incentives that would add to base salary. ESPN does not pay well unless you're a top, top guy.
    Curt Schilling made 2.2M. I expect Boone made close to that between 1.5-2.0M.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Bill, that's true.

Agree.

Bryan Hoch‏Verified account
    @BryanHoch
    Follow Follow @BryanHoch
    More
    The Yankees' coaching staff will probably be finalized within "a couple of weeks," Brian Cashman said. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild is thus far the only returnee.

Curt Schilling made 2.2M. I expect Boone made close to that between 1.5-2.0M.
    I canít stand him but Schilling was 3 time WS bloody sock champion who was super popular. Not to me. Boone had a nice little career but could they have paid him over 500k? Mendoza is making 260k.

I canít stand him but Schilling was 3 time WS bloody sock champion who was super popular. Not to me. Boone had a nice little career but could they have paid him over 500k? Mendoza is making 260k.
    Well then, according to popular rhetoric, Boone must have been making at least 5x what she was making :-)

I can’t stand him but Schilling was 3 time WS bloody sock champion who was super popular. Not to me. Boone had a nice little career but could they have paid him over 500k? Mendoza is making 260k.
    I'm not going to prolong this argument, but it's my belief that Boone was making at least 1.5M per year so we just have to disagree. ESPN pays its game analyst well.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Well, collaboration takes listening to all sides. He ignored those closest to the situation when the other sides were inconclusive. Thats just how I see it. And lets not forget it was the next day when he actually admitted his mistake.

But thatís water under the bridge.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Well, collaboration takes listening to all sides. He ignored those closest to the situation when the other sides were inconclusive. Thats just how I see it. And lets not forget it was the next day when he actually admitted his mistake.

But that’s water under the bridge.
    For the record, Sanchez said afterwards that he could have been a lot stronger conveying his thought that the ball was tipped, I don't think he was really sure either. Girardi definitely made a mistake but the beating he took afterwards from all corners was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post

But thatís water under the bridge.
    I agree that the decision and his handling of it were both atrocious. But frankly collaboration wasn't really the issue; poor judgment was. Without speaking with anyone else, it was a no brainer to call for the review, given the game situation and the importance of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    For the record, Sanchez said afterwards that he could have been a lot stronger conveying his thought that the ball was tipped, I don't think he was really sure either. Girardi definitely made a mistake but the beating he took afterwards from all corners was ridiculous.
    Girardi's reason not to challenge(didn't want to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm???) was the most ridiculous thing of the whole ordeal. He royally screwed up; he should've admitted it and owned it, not come up with a pathetic excuse for his poor judgment. Didn't want to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm? C'mun, did he expect anyone to buy that BS?

As Bill said, he should've challenged it himself, without any assistance from the video review guy. If you're wrong, you still have 1 challenge left and in 1 inning, you can ask the umps for a review of any close calls anyways. There really was virtually nothing to lose by challenging, but a whole lot to gain by it.

Thread Information