+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Yankees News & Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I thought this rumor was dead long ago. And I really never expected anything to come of it to begin with. I’d be pretty happy with a deal for Odorizzi for sure.
    He had a 3.8 BB/9, 30.6 GB% and a 0.1 WAR with a suspiciously low BABIP in 2017. His numbers for September are the silver lining, but I don't take take much stock in September stats.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    He had a 3.8 BB/9, 30.6 GB% and a 0.1 WAR with a suspiciously low BABIP in 2017. His numbers for September are the silver lining, but I don't take take much stock in September stats.
    the perfect opportunity to buy low if we can buy low. He’s still got #2 potential.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Thus far, I am hardly impressed with Boone. Here's hoping he's better in the dugout than he is with a mic in front of his face.

I have this feeling that Girardi, with all his faults that we readily pointed out (sometimes inning by inning), was on the cusp of #28. He really did an incredible job with this team of youngsters in '17. How much more can another manager get out of them? One last contract would have been ideal, IMO.

Make no mistake, this is totally Cashman's team now, win or lose. Just not getting a good vibe with Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Thus far, I am hardly impressed with Boone. Here's hoping he's better in the dugout than he is with a mic in front of his face.

I have this feeling that Girardi, with all his faults that we readily pointed out (sometimes inning by inning), was on the cusp of #28. He really did an incredible job with this team of youngsters in '17. How much more can another manager get out of them? One last contract would have been ideal, IMO.

Make no mistake, this is totally Cashman's team now, win or lose. Just not getting a good vibe with Boone.
    Hiring someone with zero experience coaching or managing at any level is extremely risky. He's going to need to rely heavily on his bench coaches.

NY Post: Frazier on a mission.

TAMPA — Clint Frazier says he’s undaunted by the number of outfielders the Yankees have and believes there’s still a place for him in The Bronx.

“I think I’ll surprise some people when spring [training] starts,” Frazier said after working out at the team’s minor league facility Tuesday. “I did a lot of work this offseason, and I’ll show I’m ready to contribute to this team if given the opportunity.”

That’s the hard part.

With the acquisition of Giancarlo Stanton to add to a group that already included Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner, Aaron Hicks and Jacoby Ellsbury, the Yankees seem to already have a surplus of outfielders — leaving Frazier ticketed for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Frazier’s name was linked to trade talks during the offseason, including when the Yankees spoke to the Pirates about right-hander Gerrit Cole, who ended up being dealt to Houston.

The 23-year-old Frazier didn’t pay much attention to the talk and was confident he’d be back with the Yankees, regardless of the makeup of the roster.

“As far as I knew, I wasn’t getting traded,” Frazier said.

He showed signs last season of the “legendary” bat speed general manager Brian Cashman raved about when Frazier was acquired from the Indians in the Andrew Miller trade in 2016.

Frazier had a .715 OPS in 142 plate appearances with the Yankees and spent the offseason working, he said, on his “mobility, flexibility and a little strength.”
    The goal this season will be to work on his approach at the plate.

“I’m just trying to create some length in my swing to keep my bat in the zone longer,’’ Frazier said.

Frazier’s production at the plate slipped dramatically after bursting on the scene by going 17-for-56 with three homers in his first 15 games after being called up from SWB. But he went just 19-for-95 with 33 strikeouts in his final 28 games, including 4-for-23 following his return from an oblique injury.

That won’t affect his attitude this spring.

“Everyone knows what they’re capable of, and I do know what I can do,” Frazier said. “I think I’m in a good spot, regardless of who’s around me.”

The arrival of Stanton, though a plus for the Yankees, undoubtedly makes Frazier’s attempt to stay in The Bronx more difficult.

“I’m really excited,’’ Frazier said. “I don’t know how you couldn’t be, knowing all the success Stanton has had. I want to be a part of this with him.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Hiring someone with zero experience coaching or managing at any level is extremely risky. He's going to need to rely heavily on his bench coaches.
    Let's not act like boone was an insurance salesman. The guy grew up on the baseball field. I don't think it was an extremely risky move.

NYYF Legend

NY Post: Frazier on a mission.
    Very easy to add a ...

https://nypost.com/2018/02/13/clint-...-on-a-mission/

Good. Hoping Frazier mashes at AAA so his trade value goes even higher.

When Hal was asked about the upcoming negotiations with Girardi, Hal said that he would be graded over a number of years, not just one. Right there I knew that Girardi could be on thin ice.

PS - And then the ice gave way!
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

What exactly weren't you impressed of?
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Boone actually seems fine to me but his voice is hard to listen to, same issue I had with him on ESPN. It's lulling and dull and hard to concentrate on what he is saying, but he is saying all of the right things and he seems pretty smart.

NYYF Legend

OMG this is comical. Boone hasn't even managed a ST game yet and you clowns are already complaining? It never ends with the bitching.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What exactly weren't you impressed of?
    He just seems to be so be full of cliches, contrived, rehearsed, always giving the same pat answers to different questions, and doesn’t appear to think too well on his feet, something you’d expect of someone in charge and a field leader.

I’m not saying that this necessarily translates into his being a poor manager, just that I get an uneasy feeling about him. During interviews and pressers, although not a charmer, Girardi just seemed to have a better handle on his environment and more of a student of the game. I get the impression that Cashman chose to hire a babysitter, appeaser, puppet, or whatever you want to call it.

Like I said, it’s a vibe that I wanted to express in my limited exposure to him. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong and I’ll do a 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    OMG this is comical. Boone hasn't even managed a ST game yet and you clowns are already complaining? It never ends with the bitching.
    I’m sorry, did I say something that you disagree with and cause any discomfort on a baseball discussion board? I’ll try to be more careful and accommodating to you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Boone actually seems fine to me but his voice is hard to listen to, same issue I had with him on ESPN. It's lulling and dull and hard to concentrate on what he is saying, but he is saying all of the right things and he seems pretty smart.
    That’s partly it; Jeter always said the right thing too, which pretty much amounted to nothing, though Boone doesnt appear to be as quick and sharp.

I’m more impressed listening to Cora’s take on the game, even Mickey Callaway’s. They seem to be more natural and deeper baseball thinkers. Something about Boone rubs me the wrong way. Again this doesn’t prove anything thus far. I’m only one person just throwing my opinion out there in my very limited exposure to him thus far. Maybe, he’ll prove me wrong and will be a brilliant field general.

I’m sorry, did I say something that you disagree with and cause any discomfort on a baseball discussion board? I’ll try to be more careful and accommodating to you in the future.
    Your floating Cashman head avatar is mildly unsettling.
    In Cashman I trust.

That’s partly it; Jeter always said the right thing too, which pretty much amounted to nothing, though Boone doesnt appear to be as quick and sharp.

I’m more impressed listening to Cora’s take on the game, even Mickey Callaway’s. They seem to be more natural and deeper baseball thinkers. Something about Boone rubs me the wrong way. Again this doesn’t prove anything thus far. I’m only one person just throwing my opinion out there in my very limited exposure to him thus far. Maybe, he’ll prove me wrong and will be a brilliant field general.
    Man, you got time to listen to Cora and Callaway's interviews?

As to your initial feelings about Boone, I suspect he was behind the eight ball with you from the time he was named by Cashman. I just get that feeling.

It will soon be joined by Boone's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I take exception to the use of the word "clowns". However, your point about "bitching" is quite accurate.

NYYF Legend

Well Girardi apparently "didn't relate" to the young stars. Hopefully Boone provides the succulent mommy nipples they have apparently been adjudged to need. Fingers crossed.

As someone who collected Topps baseball cards in the early 1970s, I find the Cashman "floating head" awesome.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...9h6Wst8apG9bM:

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Well Girardi apparently "didn't relate" to the young stars. Hopefully Boone provides the succulent mommy nipples they have apparently been adjudged to need. Fingers crossed.
    He didn’t relate so hard that he took a team in the midst of a rebuild and got them to perform all the way to game 7 of the ALCS.

I wish they’d just be honest and stop acting like we’re idiots. I have no use for that nonsense.
    In Cashman I trust.

Why asked the question, to which I respectfully responded, if you already know the answer however wrong?

As to my finding the time to listen to Cora, Callaway or any other manager being interviewed, are you serious, man?
    your Cashman head reminds me of a thing

In Cashman I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Heh...

And in case you missed it for the hundredth time, he’ll be playing golf with the kiddies. Lots of golf. In case he hasn’t convinced you yet, he’s the anti-Girardi!

your Cashman head reminds me of a thing

I’m becoming less fond of it now!

I have not formed an opinion yet on Boone's managerial abilities but I share your thoughts regarding Girardi. He did a very good job with this team and deserved another contract. IMO Girardi's dismissal had much more to do with saving the 3 million dollar annual difference between his and Boone's contract than anything to do with baseball. If there's one thing Cashman has demonstrated during his tenure, he is a "copycat" GM. He saw the trend of other organizations going cheap in the managers position and he decided to get on board. Fortunately for Boone he has inherited a very talented team which should be able to overcome any shorth comings and/or inexperience. I will be rooting for him.

Thread Information