+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re: Larry Rothschild retained

Odd reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanuphtr24 View Post
    Odd reaction.
    Yeah, you should have seen the looks I got from passerby.

Seems odd that Rothschild was rehired before the new manager was named. Either they don't care about the prospective manager's opinion or they didn't want Rothschild going elsewhere. Or both.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Seems odd that Rothschild was rehired before the new manager was named. Either they don't care about the prospective manager's opinion or they didn't want Rothschild going elsewhere. Or both.
    Very odd. You'd think a manager would want to hire his own coaches. No details on the length of the contract?

This shouldn't go over well with the segment of the fan base that had problems with Girardi's management of the pitching staff. Those decisions were obviously made in collaboration with Rothschild.

NYYF Legend

My take is that this means someone with minimal experience is getting the job. For all his warts, Rothschild does bring a wealth of experience to the table.

Make the Yankees great again!!

I stated this in the other thread and given this news I believe its worth repeating and quite frankly IMO validated. Whoever is the named field manager is irrelevant. The new Yankee manager is Brian Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I stated this in the other thread and given this news I believe its worth repeating and quite frankly IMO validated. Whoever is the named field manager is irrelevant. The new Yankee manager is Brian Cashman.
    Best of both worlds. He gets to make all the decisions, and someone else takes the blame when they don't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Best of both worlds. He gets to make all the decisions, and someone else takes the blame when they don't work out.
    Brian's best skill sets are in PR and politics. This is not surprising.

NYYF Legend

I believe when Girardi was first hired he was only allowed to pick two of his coaches. So this really should not be that suprising.

Cashman pretty much already said he is hiring a puppet. It fits the narrative.

As I have stated for years on this forum, Cashman is a highly skilled politcal animal. First he discredited Girardi with false information to justify his firing to the gullable fan base. And as you stated, he now has created the best of both worlds. He has total control of the lineup card and someone else to take the fall if it doesn't work out. Very well played.

This managerial hiring process seems odd to me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Cashman pretty much already said he is hiring a puppet. It fits the narrative.
    What a joke. I don't think a manager is crucial in baseball, so I still think the Yankees can thrive. But Cashman better hire someone who gets along with the players if he is hiring a puppet.

Makes very little sense and Rothschild does very little to improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    Makes very little sense and Rothschild does very little to improve the team.
    He's a good pitching coach who got good results in both the regular and postseason. Why is it hard to understand bringing him back?

Wise move
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

It's not unusual for the GM to have some control over who ends up on the coaching staff.

Typically though the staff is announced after a manager is in place and the general public would not know who is responsible for each of the hires.

In this case, based on the timing of the announcement it would not surprise me if Rothschild had an opportunity on another staff and needed a commitment from the Yankees that he had a job.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Wise move
    Yeah, I'm not sure why the hand wringing. The team was 5th overall in ERA, 4th in K/BB and 3rd in WHIP. And under his watch, Severino had a breakout season, Montgomery was one of the best rookie starters, and Green was another breakout in the pen. Bottom line, the young pitchers produced and contributed to an overall top 5 pitching staff. He did his job well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure why the hand wringing. The team was 5th overall in ERA, 4th in K/BB and 3rd in WHIP. And under his watch, Severino had a breakout season, Montgomery was one of the best rookie starters, and Green was another breakout in the pen. Bottom line, the young pitchers produced and contributed to an overall top 5 pitching staff. He did his job well.
    Not sure that I'm seeing a lot of handwringing here. Just questions.

Why does the manager (52 years old) need to be replaced with someone younger who can communicate with today's players, but for the pitching coach who will be 64 next year, it's not an issue?

If analytics is the issue, how is it not an issue for the pitching coach who was on the same page as the manager for the past 7 years?

If a fresh voice was needed after Girardi's lengthy tenure, how is that being accomplished with the same pitching coach?

Somehow we don't seem to be getting the full story. I guess we'll have to wait to read it in Cashman's book in 30 years.

Not sure that I'm seeing a lot of handwringing here. Just questions.

Why does the manager (52 years old) need to be replaced with someone younger who can communicate with today's players, but for the pitching coach who will be 64 next year, it's not an issue?

If analytics is the issue, how is it not an issue for the pitching coach who was on the same page as the manager for the past 7 years?

If a fresh voice was needed after Girardi's lengthy tenure, how is that being accomplished with the same pitching coach?

Somehow we don't seem to be getting the full story. I guess we'll have to wait to read it in Cashman's book in 30 years.
    I agree, there's alot we don't know. But given what we do know IMO the reason Cashman gave for Girardi's dismissal is BS. My theory is Girardi was fired for two reasons 1) To provide Cashman more control of the lineup card and other on field decisions 2) A money saving move by Hal Steinbrenner. Before you laugh at reason #2 consider this, Girardi was earning 4 million a year so it resonable to assume he would expect an increase in the 4.5 - 5 million per year range. My prediction is the new manager will receive in the 1.5 - 2 million range, saving 3 million per season. For someone as bottom line oriented as Hal that is not insignificant, especially if Cashman convinced him that the field manager adds little value. Regarding reason #1, we are already seeing this play out with Cashman hiring coaches and making public proclamations regarding playing time before the field manager is hired. If that doesn't convince everyone that the manager will have little to no input in those decisions I don't know what will.

Cashman is feeding a gullable fan base about not retaining Girardi. Don't believe him!

Cashman is already making proclamations on who is getting playing time during the GM meetings. Believe him!

Cashman is feeding a gullable fan base about not retaining Girardi. Don't believe him!

Cashman is already making proclamations on who is getting playing time during the GM meetings. Believe him!

He's becoming like Manager George as Dallas Greene once said. So much for new manager to make their own decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    My take is that this means someone with minimal experience is getting the job. For all his warts, Rothschild does bring a wealth of experience to the table.
    Which warts are those? Just asking, as it is not obvious from where I sit.

NYYF Legend

He's also quietly let go a few of the members of this site that he didn't have a great relationship with and is now in full control of their accounts behind the scenes. Svengali II?

Thread Information