+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: JD Martinez

NYYF Legend

Re: JD Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Names are escaping at the moment but Iím pretty sure a couple of Boras clients have had to settle for one year deals (pillow contracts) in recent years because no team would give in to Borasís demands.
    Stephen Drew was in that crew, was he not?

Quote Originally Posted by Saudi-Yankees-Fan View Post
    actually we need him since we cannot hit lefties , jd destroys them but we cannot afford him....
    Actually, we can afford him but don't need him. Let this emerging, maturing, evolving, developing young lineup take shape before making judgments on how it hits lefties over the long haul based on one year's (incomplete, based on players still on the way) data. And don't forget the old Bill James Age Curve about how guys who bloom after age 25 often are done done done by 33-35 years old.

If I could wave a magic wand I'd take Otani as the prime goal over Martinez, and only partly for monetary reasons.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I had forgotten his resurgence but did remember where Boras did initially harm him but remembering the Rangers deal now
    I was surprised that Boras wasn't fired at that time. It's a big mess up. But he recovered well for his client at the end.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I was surprised that Boras wasn't fired at that time. It's a big mess up. But he recovered well for his client at the end.
    His client leading the league in ERA in the pillow year probably didn't hurt the "recovery."

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Martinez just hired Boras.

In other words, his salary demands are going to be far beyond what the Yankees can afford if they want to stay below the luxury tax threshold.

No way are the Yankees going to mete out $25+ million/annually for any single player this winter - especially a full-time DH.

Stay the course, and go all out on Harper after next season.
    Demanding and getting are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    What is your basis for saying what's bolded? Firstly, I dont see him getting 25MM AAV, unless it's on a short term deal. DH extraordinaire, David Ortiz never once even sniffed 20MM. And even if he does, there still is room to pay that and stay under the threshhold.
    Prescient.

Just read the article on the ringer claiming JD is just as good of a bat as Giancarlo for half the price and almost gagged.

If thats the case why were at least two teams in addition to the Yankees trying to recruit Giancarlo? Where were all the teams clamoring to hand JD a 100M contract?

NYYF Legend

It's true - JD's offensive production on the whole has been as good as Stanton's since he redid his swing (4 years or so).

The difference is defense and age, plus outliers on the low end (Stanton's 2016) and high end (Martinez's 2017) that help make the offensive production so similar over that span.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Baserunning too. JD was 776 out of 824 in BRR. (Pedroia 820 out of 824. God damn!)

Stanton is 475 out of 824.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...hp?cid=2465471

EDIT: Whoa. This has Gary Sanchez as the best baserunner on the team in 2017.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Designated for Assignment

Demanding and getting are two different things.

Prescient.
    Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. No one, including you, could have predicted that this winter’s free agent market would have played out the way it did. There wasn’t a single expert, far more qualified than us, who thought Martinez would have to settle for less than $25 million a year.

Either way, I’m not sure why you’re patting yourself on the back when the original point remains true: the Yankees could not have signed Martinez and remained below the luxury tax threshold - whether he earns $25 million or $22 million a year....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. No one, including you, could have predicted that this winter’s free agent market would have played out the way it did. There wasn’t a single expert, far more qualified than us, who thought Martinez would have to settle for less than $25 million a year.

Either way, I’m not sure why you’re patting yourself on the back when the original point remains true: the Yankees could not have signed Martinez and remained below the luxury tax threshold - whether he earns $25 million or $22 million a year....
    They could have if they traded Gardner, or even possibly Warren.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

This blows as I was so hoping that this process would drag out and he would sign elsewhere. F the sux and F Martinez and his big bat numbers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Sux payroll now the highest in MLB at 209 mil, 50 Million more than us and 55 Mil more than the WS Champion Astros
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

For the record, I don't think Stanton and Martinez are particularly even in terms of their offensive production despite the equal wRC+ numbers for the past few years. That crazy down year from Stanton in 2016 and Martinez's insane outlier year of SLG last season make them look more similar than I personally think they actually are.

Martinez is still a very good bat, though.

Great DH for them...I like it when they're good and we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Great DH for them...I like it when they're good and we're good.

I like it when weíre great, and theyíre not as great, which is what I think the situation is.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    For the record, I don't think Stanton and Martinez are particularly even in terms of their offensive production despite the equal wRC+ numbers for the past few years. That crazy down year from Stanton in 2016 and Martinez's insane outlier year of SLG last season make them look more similar than I personally think they actually are.

Martinez is still a very good bat, though.
    I'd agree with you, however calling JD's 2017 season an 'insane outlier' implies some type of luck. His batting profile suggests otherwise. He barrelled more balls last season than Stanton. That's not a luck thing.
    Calmer than you are

On the topic of defensively limited right-handed hitters best-suited for the designated hitter slot Ö

J.D. Martinez is five months younger today than Hanley Ramirez was when the Red Sox signed the latter to a four-year, $88 million contract with a vesting option for a another season (that coincidentally would bring the total to $110 million over five years).

Martinez has posted 6.0 bWAR and 5.6 fWAR in 239 games over the past two seasons while Ramirez had posted 8.9 bWAR and 8.5 fWAR in 214 games in the two seasons before he signed with Boston.

In the 2014-15 offseason MLB Trade Rumors had projected Ramirez with a six-year, $132 million contract while this year MLB Trade Rumors projected Martinez with a six-year, $150 million contract.

I wish J.D. Martinez the best but you never know how these free agent contracts will play out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'd agree with you, however calling JD's 2017 season an 'insane outlier' implies some type of luck. His batting profile suggests otherwise. He barrelled more balls last season than Stanton. That's not a luck thing.
    That's fair, it might not be luck. I still think it is an insane outlier though.

Here is his ISO by season since he became "good".

2014: .238
    2015: .253
    2016: .228
    2018: .387

In his career he had never even come close to what he put up last year. It may not have been luck concerning how he put the ball in play, but it's so far out of line that I don't have faith it's repeatable so I see it as an outlier. His 166 wRC+ in 2017 was fueled by a level of SLG that doesn't look sustainable, even if it is explainable.

To me JDM is a 140-150ish wRC+ guy, and Stanton is in the 150-160ish range, but that's just my rough opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    Sux payroll now the highest in MLB at 209 mil, 50 Million more than us and 55 Mil more than the WS Champion Astros
    According to Cot's the Red Sox's CB payroll for 2018 is $229,934,600. Let's remember that Yankees and Dodgers CB tax rate is 50% while the Red Sox is 20%.

I am eagerly awaiting a disruptive Hanley as he doesnt even come close to his 497Abs needed for his vesting option to trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

This discussion should be taking place in the Around the Majors forum. JDM is NOT a Yankee and we were never suitors.

Calls a tool a tool

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. No one, including you, could have predicted that this winterís free agent market would have played out the way it did. There wasnít a single expert, far more qualified than us, who thought Martinez would have to settle for less than $25 million a year.

Either way, Iím not sure why youíre patting yourself on the back when the original point remains true: the Yankees could not have signed Martinez and remained below the luxury tax threshold - whether he earns $25 million or $22 million a year....
    We could get Stanton for 22 million and not go over, but couldnt get Martinez at 22 and stay under?

NYYF Legend

We could get Stanton for 22 million and not go over, but couldnt get Martinez at 22 and stay under?
    Yes. Signing JDM would not have moved Castro off the the books.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yes. Signing JDM would not have moved Castro off the the books.
    It didn't need to. You could move Castro in a separate deal if needed. We moved Headley's 13m. Castro is earning less, younger, players a more valuable position, and more productive. Not to mention his AAV hit is closer 8.5m.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That's fair, it might not be luck. I still think it is an insane outlier though.

Here is his ISO by season since he became "good".

2014: .238
    2015: .253
    2016: .228
    2018: .387

In his career he had never even come close to what he put up last year. It may not have been luck concerning how he put the ball in play, but it's so far out of line that I don't have faith it's repeatable so I see it as an outlier. His 166 wRC+ in 2017 was fueled by a level of SLG that doesn't look sustainable, even if it is explainable.

To me JDM is a 140-150ish wRC+ guy, and Stanton is in the 150-160ish range, but that's just my rough opinion.
    Take out 2017 and it is still 145 to 143 wrc+ since 2014.

Include Stanton's 2017 to bump him up and it's 143 to 149.

Thereís plenty of risk here for Boston.

JD has to prove he can handle Bostoe. And some guys donít handle the switch to full time DH very well, and your certainly not going to put this guy in right field, possibly the toughest right field in baseball, especially when you already have betts there
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Thread Information