Closed Thread

Yankees 2018 Roster

As the dust settles on an amazing 2017 season. Let's talk about who will not be on teh roster next year and what new faces will we see?

OUT?
    Todd Frazier
    Dellin Betances
    CC Sabathia
    Matt Holiday

IN?
    Michael Pineda
    Chase Adams
    Gleyber Torres
    Justus Sheffield

Re: Yankees 2018 Roster

Pineda out
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

NYYF Legend

Not sure why this is in Out of Play?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    As the dust settles on an amazing 2017 season. Let's talk about who will not be on teh roster next year and what new faces will we see?

OUT?
    Todd Frazier
    Dellin Betances
    CC Sabathia
    Matt Holiday

IN?
    Michael Pineda
    Chase Adams
    Gleyber Torres
    Justus Sheffield

Of this list - who's under contract for next year? Betances, Torres and Sheffield? Is Frazier under contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Of this list - who's under contract for next year? Betances, Torres and Sheffield? Is Frazier under contract?
    No, Frazier is a free agent as is Pineda.

• Todd Frazier - I think they'll consider it, esp if they somehow have an opportunity to move Headley, but ultimately they'll pass. Combo of him getting a multi-year offer somewhere and Cash not wanting to block 3B-1B too much for Andujar/Gleyber/etc. Plus he has a career .321 OBP and his power has diminished post-30.
    • Dellin Betances - Not going anywhere
    • CC Sabathia - 1 year deal
    • Matt Holiday - He gone
    • Michael Pineda - Big Mike likely gone
    • Cha(nc)se Adams - Def makes his debut in 2018, hopefully has a Monty type impact and shows he can be a long term piece.
    • Gleyber Torres - Starts year at SWB and works his way up
    • Justus Sheffield - Might push the issue but I wouldn't expect anything more than a spot start. Solid AzFL might change the calculus.

I think there is a chance to trade Starlin Castro to open 2B for Torres and get something good in return for Castro.

I think we keep Headley - he's good as a 3B/1B/DH switch-hitter and a potential trade chip in July for a team that needs him as a rental.

I believe some team will pay about $10 million a year for Ellsbury so we only have to eat the balance and we need the open roster spot for younger up and coming outfielders. And, that $10 million will help us to stay under the salary CAP.

I don't expect to see Holliday, Frazier or Ellsbury on the 2018 Roster even though they all contributed in some way this season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    I think there is a chance to trade Starlin Castro to open 2B for Torres and get something good in return for Castro.

I think we keep Headley - he's good as a 3B/1B/DH switch-hitter and a potential trade chip in July for a team that needs him as a rental.

I believe some team will pay about $10 million a year for Ellsbury so we only have to eat the balance and we need the open roster spot for younger up and coming outfielders. And, that $10 million will help us to stay under the salary CAP.

I don't expect to see Holliday, Frazier or Ellsbury on the 2018 Roster even though they all contributed in some way this season.

Yea as good as Castro has been, he doesn't fit into long term plan. Can you imagine an infield of:

C Sanchez
    1B Bird
    2B Torres
    3B Andujlar
    SS Didi
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Yea as good as Castro has been, he doesn't fit into long term plan. Can you imagine an infield of:

C Sanchez
    1B Bird
    2B Torres
    3B Andujlar
    SS Didi
    or

C Sanchez
    1B Bird
    2B Torres
    3B Machado
    SS Didi

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    or

C Sanchez
    1B Bird
    2B Torres
    3B Machado
    SS Didi

No way they are paying Machado

I'm going to shut this thread down. There is a Hot Stove thread over in Inside the Lines. Please post there. Thanks.

Thread Information