+ Reply to Thread
Page 261 of 261 FirstFirst ... 161 211 251 258 259 260 261
Results 6,501 to 6,519 of 6519

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

No one said he wasn't a difference maker, but he was only worth that contract to an AL team based on his inability to play the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisLitt View Post
    No one said he wasn't a difference maker, but he was only worth that contract to an AL team based on his inability to play the outfield.
    When you hit like JD, you don't have to be a gold glove OF, barely adequate is good enough.

For example, Stanton is a barely adequate OF, but who cares if he's a threat to hit 40+ HR's?

IMO every team in baseball with a need for a dominant #3 hitter should have pursued JD.

Its inexplicable too me that the Red Sox seemingly had ZERO competition for his services.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

I'm leaving some cheese here to go with all the whine
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Neither did David Ortiz. You don't think he was responsible, if not mainly responsible, for Boston breaking the 100 years drought and winning multiple world championships?

Lets be real, JD is a difference maker. If they don't get him, we're in first place right now, comfortably.

Instead we're 2 Games behind the team with the best record in baseball, largely because the rest of the league sat the JD sweepstakes out. How? I have no earthly idea, but they did and the Red Sox were the beneficiaries.
    JD is a great hitter and a difference maker, but we are behind Boston because they have played a cupcake schedule. To be honest, if you looked at the schedule they have played versus what we have played, and saw that we are only 2 games out, you would probably think Boston missed their opportunity to run away and hide, or at least get far enough out ahead that we'd be chasing for most of the summer.

I've said this in a different thread but it bears repeating here. If we look at the 4 teams aside from us who made the playoffs last year, and add the Angels to that mix who most think are a playoff team now, that is pretty much our schedule for the past month with the odd series against KC/TEX mixed in..
    Against the 4 playoff teams (BOS, CLE, MIN, HOU) and the Angels, we have totalled 26 games so far. Our record in those games is 20-6. This while Boston pistol whipped a bunch of teams destined for 90-100 losses. We should be 7-8 games back right now and preparing to chase.. Instead with the softest part of the Boston schedule now played, and the hardest part of our schedule now played, they have not shaken us.. We've taken the best punch anyone can give us, and we are still right there..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

When you hit like JD, you don't have to be a gold glove OF, barely adequate is good enough.

For example, Stanton is a barely adequate OF, but who cares if he's a threat to hit 40+ HR's?

IMO every team in baseball with a need for a dominant #3 hitter should have pursued JD.

Its inexplicable too me that the Red Sox seemingly had ZERO competition for his services.
    I beg to differ. Check his defensive stats through last year. he is on par with Judge. This year he's learning a new position, new angles, etc. And his OF play is much better than what I saw in Tampa this spring.

Yea, the whole point is he isn't barely adequate.

I predicted it, and frankly, it was EASY to predict.
    From this thread also, oddly you didn't bump this one:

I'll take Duffy over Cole or Fulmer, and IMO its not even a close call. Duffy is a legit #1 in my view, a dominator when he's at his best. If we're gonna deal the kind of top level prospects that Pittsburgh and Detroit are reportedly asking for, I wouldn't do it for Cole or Fulmer, but I'll do it for Duffy. I'll give KC Frazier, Sheffield and another top prospect for Duffy.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

he was clearly superimposed....

You win today. Lol
    https://gfycat.com/ComplexObedientArgusfish

Hahaha, thank you for that. It's such a pet peeve of mine when people bump old posts of theirs unprovoked just to say they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    You win today. Lol
    If I respond I get a two week suspension, so I have to let him cherry-pick and bump old threads where I was wrong, cause lord knows he's always right, and just swallow it.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

I didn't cherry pick anything any more than you did by bumping the JDM one in a thread that had been dead for months. It's not even equal, if we had made both moves there that you (endlessly and repeatedly) suggested, we would be in decidedly worse position now.

I didn't cherry pick anything, your unedited words from this same thread. Also I just got off a two week suspension myself for virtually nothing, so you are not alone.
    AttentionMods,

Is there any way I can block or mute this user, cause I really don't want to get suspended again and he stalks me and pushes my buttons. A man can only take so much of that and eventually he's gonna say something he shouldn't, the way I did last time, then I'll cop another suspension, maybe even a ban, and I like it here. So if there's a way I can block or mute this particular user, please let me know, cause I'm tired of being trolled by the same guy and having to swallow it. Thanks.

Danny Duffy, for those not paying too close attention, is a 29 year old lefty who has never thrown 180 innings in a season and who was under contract for 4/60 at the start of the season (an OK price if he is actually a #2/#3 but quickly a mild albatross if he loses it like he has).

And yes, he has been absolutely awful this season, 5.71 ERA and 5.75 FIP, 14 HRs allowed already. Giving up the suggested Frazier and Sheffield plus someone else for Duffy is currently looking like as bad a move as Cashman could have possibly made last winter, in all of the timelines combined. Thanks for bumping the thread and giving us a chance to relive that one.

Danny Duffy, for those not paying too close attention, is a 29 year old lefty who has never thrown 180 innings in a season and who was under contract for 4/60 at the start of the season (an OK price if he is actually a #2/#3 but quickly a mild albatross if he loses it like he has). And yes, he has been absolutely awful this season, 5.71 ERA and 5.75 FIP, 14 HRs allowed already. Giving up as you suggested Frazier and Sheffield plus someone else for Duffy is currently looking like as bad a move as Cashman could have possibly made last winter, in all of the timelines combined. Thanks for bumping the thread and giving us a chance to relive that one.
    Mods,

You baited me once and got my suspended. Not happening again. If there's any justice around here, the mods will recognize this as a clear attempt to bait me into another suspension and do something about it. Obvious trolling should be punished, otherwise you essentially force a man to handle his own business.

I'm trying to use some restraint. How bout a little help?

I'm just talking Yankees, I don't appreciate having my posts of pretty much pure content ignored in favor of talking about me and attempting to get me banned. Let's talk about the Yankees, thanks.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Time to this thread.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Time to this thread.

lol, better yet - let these two have it for their own usage......i'm out
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Thread Information